Notices

Looking for a proper torque wrench

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for a proper torque wrench

I think I finally need to break down and get myself a torque wrench. Ok..no laughing now.... Yes, I am sure I should have done it long ago. At any rate can someone recommend a decent torque wrench that preferably doesn't need recalibration every six months? Thanks in advance, Glenn
Old 04-11-2009, 12:31 PM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife bought me the best one at CT. It's on sale often, and has been fantastic!

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

PS. I think every torque wrench needs calibrating from time to time.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

I got my Husky from Home Depot, had it for at least 7 years and it's great. I haven't caliblrated it but if after every use, you reset the wrench to 0. It's shouldn't need any calibration as the sping will not be under compression. At least that's how I see it. To me, even if it's a little out of calibration is not a big deal. The main reason to use one is to have a uniform torque on vital bolts/nuts like in the heads, main/con rod caps, etc., for everythng else I use my hand as a guage.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
... after every use, you reset the wrench to 0. It's shouldn't need any calibration as the sping will not be under compression. At least that's how I see it. To me, even if it's a little out of calibration is not a big deal. The main reason to use one is to have a uniform torque on vital bolts/nuts like in the heads, main/con rod caps, etc., for everythng else I use my hand as a guage.
+1 I agree with Imre. I have a collection of torque wrenches and they can all go off calibration if they are not 0 after use. The CT ones that I have stood up well; from time to time I check them against my friend's who has several MAC torque wrenches, he gets them calibrated at least once a year (he rebuilds engines for Mercedes). Something to keep in mind, percision instruments are calibrated for accuracy in the middle of the scale so a 250 lb-foot torque wrench will be most accurate at 125 ft-lbs... so consider your intended use when you are purchasing.

I have Princess Auto torque wrenches as well they are great for doing lug nuts... I save the CT ones for the "finer" applications.

If money is no object Snap on has a new digital model with a built in torque angle gage... again I wouldn't buys something like that to torque lug nuts.

Last edited by Mark Lue; 04-11-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. My intended application, at least initially is for the lug nuts on my wheels. I read in one write-up on line that the Canadian Tire one has to be used carefully because you can actually overtighten the nuts/bolts when using it if you work too quickly. However, it sounds as though you guys have had no issues with it. There is such a huge difference in price that it really makes one wonder about the quality and particularly the accuracy of the wallet friendly models. I called partsource and they had a Jet Tool model but its price was $253. It must be quite a wrench!
Old 04-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bergamasco
My intended application, at least initially is for the lug nuts on my wheels. I read in one write-up on line that the Canadian Tire one has to be used carefully because you can actually overtighten the nuts/bolts when using it if you work too quickly.
Hi Glen. I returned one to CT recently - it broke! Then I read where it was made and now know why it cost only $50. I got my money back and will look elsewhere for a better model. The fine print actually said something about not intended for tightening lug nuts?! Which is quite strange. I think they mean your supposed to hand tighten the nuts until checking the torque. Mine gave up after two wheels - no more clicks! Maybe I had a bad one but burned once was enough for me.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:41 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you use any new torque wrench, I'd suggest setting it on a very low torque and on some convenient fastener (eg. maybe your lug nuts) make sure you can feel the detent give way. I just got a brand new SnapOn wrench as a gift and it took a few tries at low torque before it started "clicking" - after which it started working reliably. There are a number of posts on the CT website where people talk about snapping bolts off on the first use ... I'm guessing that maybe the ball / detent mechanisms can bind when in storage for a long time ...
Old 04-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I sheared a lug nut with my CT torque wrench, but I think that was more due to old, weak AL nuts rather than the wrench. I used it to rebuild my 915 and for my flywheel bolts.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Sputter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the CT footpound and inchpound wrenches. (i have a PA footpound one I don't use).
These work fine for me. I use em on coilpacks to lugbolts.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Both My Torque wrenches are Sears Craftsman and have been flawless since I have owned them going on 15 years. I always treat and use them with respect. I have the calibration checked every year as my other tools require calibration for work so I know the Calibration guy very well and he checks my wrenches for free. he has recorde going back to when they were new and he says they have never needed anything and they always pass calibration fine.

My friend got a one from Princess Auto for 18 bucks for foot pounds and the thing is dead on with mine. Can't beat that for lug nuts.. But talso to be fair you have to know wha your doing. Do multiple stages and tighten evenly criss crossing the bolts.
Too many people just don't know what they are doing and i see them putting on one nut . tightening it up to 90 lbs and put the next one on.

Oh well ...

Darwin will get them sooner or later ...
Old 04-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the good advice guys. I did have someone come over who is very experienced and check the lug nuts this afternoon. He told me that it is best to loosen the nuts first and then also to go at it slowly. He also mentioned that it is most important to zero the meter after every use and that if you drop the wrench.... well... it's toast. Yeeks!! He remarked that the Sears Craftsman products are first rate. I think I will check on the prices of them. Thanks again for all your help. Glenn
Old 04-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

oh .. one last question please - 1/2" or 3/8"?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine's 1/2", and most I've seen are. That's probably better so you've got a better grip on the things that will need the high torque, rather than using an adaptor. Just get an adaptor set to go to 3/8, 1/4, etc.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:50 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/2". If you need to use 3/8 or 3/4 sockets just use adaptors. My CTC torque wrench died after 3 years use. I paid a bit more at Parts Source for an urgently needed one - one of THOSE jobs - but the quality of the wrench seems much better.

The 2 things to remember about torque wrenches are to only use it for torqueing & always 0 it after use (as others have said).

Ian
Old 04-12-2009, 06:01 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

^^^^ and avoid using any type of extension if can. If you can't, use the shortest possible and least number of them. For example: use a deep socket before an extension, use one longer extension rather than two small ones and so on. The shorter the distance between the wrench and the bolt/nut, the more accurate the wrench will be (less torsinal flex from the addition componenets).

Last edited by Imo000; 04-12-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for a proper torque wrench