Notices

Emissions Test Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 388 Posts

Imo000; you may know better than me but I have read numerous times that they are thinking about abolishing the test in Ontario. simply it doesn't help anybody, not gov't not environment nobody.
I hope it is gone as it is a waste of time. resources could be put to better use.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:00 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Yup it's been talked about just as much as raising the speed limit ot 120.......but we all know, it will NEVER happen!

I just attended a presentation today and one of the comments from the speaker was that the Clean Air comission claims that emissions have been reduced by an additional 20% because the program exists. Since she was only doing a presentation on how to get the most mileage out of your vehicle (carpooling, routine maintnace, driving the speed limit and so on ), I felt sorry for her and didn't have the heart to start questions this study. BUT my left eye sarted twiching after she started using word oil instead of gasoline, when explaining how and engine works.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

http://www.expresstest.ca/

They DON'T do repairs and are NOT a garage so NO pressure. I haven't taken my 996 there yet but I've taken my other cars. By appointment only. I live up the street on Derry and Ninth Line so it's close for me. The good thing is that right behind is a mall (Meddowvale) that has a Service Ontario machine (outside of the Dominon) that will be able to spit out your sticker right after the test.

Just make sure you do this BEFORE your tag is up or you can't use the machine and have to go to an MTO outlet. Do NOT wait *past* your *birthday*! Your tag is expired the day *after* your birthday. So if your birthday is April 1 - the next day you are toast as far as using the machines for a sticker and also if a cop pulls you over. Many people get this wrong and are pizzed when a cop gives them a SECOND ticket when they get done for speeding or some such thing. Almost everyone gets this wrong - they think they have to the END of the month. Well they would if their birthday was on April 30th.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Raymond Lum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OEM Porsche exhaust systems emits very little emissions. The newer models have almost zero emissions. You can practically sleep in front of your exhaust pipe and feel no ill effects. If your Porsche is stock, it should pass with flying colours.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Raymond Lum
OEM Porsche exhaust systems emits very little emissions. The newer models have almost zero emissions. You can practically sleep in front of your exhaust pipe and feel no ill effects. If your Porsche is stock, it should pass with flying colours.
You are joking right? The $hit that comes out of any internal combustion engine can easily kill you. The by product of a gasoline engine is CO. I don't care how clean the rest of the values are (HC and NOX), Carbon Monoxide alone will kill you fast. Don't be fooled thinking that just becaue the exhaust smells clean, it will sustain human life.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Shhhhh, don't look now... but he IS kidding...
Old 03-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Shhhhh, don't look now... but he IS kidding...

Ahhh $hit, and I came off as a drama queen.... DOH!!!
Old 03-31-2009, 07:38 PM
gofor28off
Racer

Well I finally did mine today (I had been driving all month with expired).
What a pain in the ***. First went to the local service garage. They wouldn't do it because they dont have a floor level machine and my car is too low. Then went to the local Canadian Tire. They said "no problem, one car ahead of me; just a few minutes".
I stood there and watched the service bay while some kid starts spraying the floor with a pressure washer. WHILE OTHER CARS ARE AROUND. He's getting water and dirt from the floor all over the place. Even on the cars. Then the guy doing the test on the car ahead of me finishes and walks out. I hear a comment like " I'll be back in half hour", and the guy with the hose starts spraying all around the test area. So I say to the adviser "sorry, cancel it - I have to go." The guy says, "but your next, he's bringing it right in". Well, I saw the guy doing the testing leave, no one else is making any kind of move toward the car and the friggen kid is still blasting everything around the test area with the pressure hose. NO THANKS.
So then I drive to the expresstest location referred to in the post above at Winston Churchill & Aquitaine and they pull it off. No issues with passing.
What a pain in the *** and waste of time. All in I wasted half a day on this. Nice make work project.

Last edited by gofor28off; 03-31-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by gofor28off
Well, I saw the guy doing the testing leave, no one else is making any kind of move toward the car and the friggen kid is still blasting everything around the test area with the pressure hose. NO THANKS.
They don't call them 'Crappy Tire' for nothing now do they?!

So then I drive to the expresstest location referred to in the post above at Winston Churchill & Aquitaine and they pull it off. No issues with passing.
Glad it worked out OK. I never go to a place that does testing AND repairs. It's like dating a woman who's says she'll supply the condoms. In the back of your mind your going, hmmmmm, I wonder....
Old 05-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

Just a quick update on this in case anyone else runs into the same scenario...
I went to ExpressTest in Mississauga and easily passed. I had 5 month old fuel and ran the car for approx. 20 mins before pulling in for my appointment. They were quick and I could watch the process so wasn't worried about the car. I had started my insurance prior and was assured by my agent that my insurance would be valid despite an expired plate. As long as my premium is paid my insurance is valid. For unknown reasons my registration did not renew at the Self-Serve kiosk in the mall so I went to the license office where I renewed (late by a few weeks) without any difficulty.
Thanks for all of your help and I do recommend the Express Test since (as previously mentioned by TorontoWorker), they don't do anything else so they are quick and don't try to sell you any other services that you don't need.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:52 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Logan964C2
Just a quick update on this in case anyone else runs into the same scenario...
I went to ExpressTest in Mississauga and easily passed. I had 5 month old fuel and ran the car for approx. 20 mins before pulling in for my appointment. They were quick and I could watch the process so wasn't worried about the car. I had started my insurance prior and was assured by my agent that my insurance would be valid despite an expired plate. As long as my premium is paid my insurance is valid. For unknown reasons my registration did not renew at the Self-Serve kiosk in the mall so I went to the license office where I renewed (late by a few weeks) without any difficulty.
Thanks for all of your help and I do recommend the Express Test since (as previously mentioned by TorontoWorker), they don't do anything else so they are quick and don't try to sell you any other services that you don't need.
Good stuff but did you ask you rinsurance company what would happen if, despite having proper covereage, you got into and accident with the expired/non registerred plates? Would they still cover you?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:45 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 388 Posts

for $15 you can get temporary permit with original ownership at ministry office.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Logan964C2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Imo000
Good stuff but did you ask you rinsurance company what would happen if, despite having proper covereage, you got into and accident with the expired/non registerred plates? Would they still cover you?
Yes. I specifically did ask this question as this was my concern. I was told that as long as my premium was paid that I would be covered. I was a little surprised at this but my agent (in Cambridge) is knowledgeable and I trust them.
Drove to the e-test then straight to the registration office and took my chances with the expired plate ticket. It was not so much about the $15 but more about waiting in line to get the temporary permit and then again a few hours later to get the renewal.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Benny771
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E-test?
What is that?

Dont you have a friend upnorth?
You move to his address "(on you lisence) get your sticker with no e-test.

Get a 2year sticker.

Never had a e-test on any of my cars.

Quick Reply: Emissions Test Questions