Notices

Emissions Test Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions Test Questions

My registration expires end of this month but due to various commitments I won't be able to get my car out of winter storage and in for the required emissions testing for at least a couple of weeks. Two questions related to this:
If I drive direct to the e-test centre, will the fact that my car has 5 month old gas running through the system affect the results?
Do people trust local Cdn Tire to do this test on their cars? Mine is a C2 so I don't need the AWD test procedure but also am pretty picky so would rather not have some kid at Cdn Tire who perhaps doesn't drive stick just hop in and test it.
Insurance will be valid when I get it out but sticker will be expired. I live in Milton and work in Brampton. Does anyone recommend a decent shop or is Mantis in Oakville the closest reputable place that does E-Test?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

Bottom line is they put your car on a dyno and stick a probe in the pipe. Depends how paranoid/ trusting you are really.

Anywhere that is equiped can do the test including C.T. If you are there while they do it they are obviously going to be a little paranoid themselves since you are watching.
I think as long as your car is fully warmed up you will be fine. You can probaby drive it to Mantis , I don't think they are allowed to inflate the etest price so you should pay the same as anywhere else .
Old 03-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

Thanks for the fast response. Just to be clear; are you suggesting that if my engine is fully warmed up, the fact that the gas in the system is 5 months old should not have any impact on the emissions?
Old 03-24-2009, 05:52 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

The gas might have an effect. A bigger effect might be that it hasn't been driven in 5 months. If possible, I would try to take it for a good long shake down to make sure all is well and that nothing is gummed up.

It certainly can hurt to run it down and have fresh gas in it.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

That is my concern. The trade-off between driving it to give it a good run and fill with fresh fuel vs. the risk of driving it with expired registration. Would there be any way that expired registration could void my valid insurance?
The alternative of having my wife drive it and take it for the emissions test before the registration expires at the end of the month would likely end up with a worse outcome than failing the e-test or receiving a ticket for expired registration!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 401 Posts

I think you can drive it with the expired tags to get the etest (I think).
DON'T LET CT NEAR YOUR CAR!!!!!
did you use gasoline stabilizer before you stored it?
you can let her drive it for test and if fails then burn the gas and run her hard and then retest $30 spent (actually I think retest is less)
good luck.
I assume your car is after 87...too bad
Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Mississauga Emission, 5020 McLaughlin Road (Eglinton & McLaughlin)
Tel. (905) 502 7535 $35.00 for my Subaru earlier this month. I think they would be ok. They have a half-assed detailing shop as the other half of their business. No appointments are necessary.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default drive it!

You need to drive the heck out of it and make sure the shop doesn't let your engine cool down. I would also strongly suggest you do your annual oil change prior to the etest.

Good Luck!

AL
Old 03-24-2009, 08:35 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

I would call the DMV and see if they have any sort of temp permit that they can give you. I doubt you are the first person to have expired tags.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

For $15 you can get a temp license (valid for 15 days) while you get any servicing and etesting done for your license regular license renewal.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

If you drive the car with an expired ticket, you are eligible for a ticket, bottom line. If you car has been close to failing in the pat, then clean gas and oil, not to mention a good long drive, would be a good idea. If your car passed the last time with flying colours and you have had no major changes since then (like your car seems to be blowing smoke out of the exhaust), then you are probably fine taking it for a ride and taking it in for the e-test.

I would suggest driving it at night which makes it harder for cops to see your expired ticket. I only warn you as our nanny just got such a ticket. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

personally i think it will be fine with the gas and I have no basis to say CT should go no where near your car.
These guys know how to test the cars to get them to pass, they do this for a living remeber ? I say just take it for a drive to warm it up and then take it in. just because it is not hot doesn't mean it will fail. Just take it in and test the thing, if it fails go from there.

BTW no sticker means insurance does npt have to pay out as you are not legally registered for the road, but i would just take it and get her done. If you are that worried just leave it there after you pass until you get your sticker.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in the much same situation a few years ago when my '86 still required e-testing. I didn't give it much though... drove it hard for 30 minutes early on a Saturday morning in April, then took it directly to the testing place to be first in line and it past with flying colors with 6 month old gas in her. If your car past without problems 2 years before and you have kept up with the maintenance it should be fine. As for the license expiration I was a bit ignorant there... again I didn't give it a second though (do you see a pattern?) and drove without it... but based on that insurance coverage tidbit that Ice provided I may have been a bit more cautious.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Logan964C2
Instructor

Thanks for all of the input. I did pass without difficulty in the past so based on the information I will give it a bit of a run to get the engine up to temp and will take it straight in. I just had the oil change and tune up done before putting it away and all was OK so I don't anticipate any problems.
My car is a 1990 so I was hoping this would be the last time required based on the 20 year rule but I now understand they are going to continue requiring e-testing on all vehicles newer than 1987 regardless of age.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

They warm up the engine before each test, it's part of the e-test procedure. However it's not a bad idea to go for a 10- 15 min run in 3rd gear on the highway to get the cat nice and toasty warm. The 5 month gas will not make a difference but the expired ticket is a HUGE gamble. Get a temporary sticker (shape of a huge red T) for $15 and it will cover you a$$ for 10 days and make sure you have valid insurace too.
As for the rolling 20 year rule, well that's in the past. ALL cars starting with model year '88 and up will AWAYS have to be e-tested. The rolling 20 year ended when the '87s were due for testing.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Emissions Test Questions