Notices

Importing a Car to Canada Once It Is Already In The Country

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009 | 10:20 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Default Importing a Car to Canada Once It Is Already In The Country

Does anyone have any insight on this? My friend is going overseas with the army and needs to sell his car. I want to buy it off him but it's still registered in Wisconsin on wisconsin plates. I'm going to have to import it, but it makes no sense for me to drive to the border and then bring it back in.

Does anyone know where I can go to do this locally?
Old 02-13-2009 | 10:48 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

what kind of vehicle is this?
Old 02-13-2009 | 10:51 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

1993 RX-7 Twin Turbo.
RHD japanese import 15 years old that my buddy some how got plated in the US lol. Technically it falls under the 15 year old rule so bringing it in shouldn't be hard. I just need 2 confirm the process since i don't have a broker for this unit.
Old 02-13-2009 | 12:00 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
1993 RX-7 Twin Turbo.
RHD japanese import 15 years old that my buddy some how got plated in the US lol. Technically it falls under the 15 year old rule so bringing it in shouldn't be hard. I just need 2 confirm the process since i don't have a broker for this unit.
No effin way? Unmolested? Messaging you in 3, 2, 1....
Old 02-13-2009 | 12:59 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

I would suggest that you contact Canada Border Services Agency for guidance (tel: 1-800-461-9999). There are several Customs offices in Toronto, no need to go to the border IMHO.
Old 02-13-2009 | 03:59 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

someone had the same issue on here less than a year ago. I think it was a cayenne. do a search
Old 02-13-2009 | 10:15 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

I think the car will probably have to go back and then cross the border properly again.

Do you know for a fact that this car is even admissable into Canada? Did your buddy bring this car into the US through the proper chanels (has been federalized and given a US title)?

Here's another thing, since it's a Japaneese spec., you might have to import it as one. Cars made to the US market are the only ones that are listed on the RIV's site.

This is going to be interesting to see what it takes to bring it in. There are RHD Japaneese cars here so there must be awya to bring it in but I don't knwo if any of them came through the states.
Old 02-13-2009 | 10:31 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

It's a 2-step process.

It first has to be cleared to leave the US (they ensure it has no liens, etc.). Then it has to be imported into Canada.

When I imported my car, I had to hand the CDN agents a signed/stamped form from the US agents before they'd import it.

I'd call both the US and the CDN folks and see how it goes.

I'm betting you probably will have to take it to the border to get the US guys to inspect and sign-off on it before they'll give you the paperwork required by the CDNs.

But I'm no expert, so I could be wrong.
Old 02-13-2009 | 11:41 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Imo000
I think the car will probably have to go back and then cross the border properly again.

Do you know for a fact that this car is even admissable into Canada? Did your buddy bring this car into the US through the proper chanels (has been federalized and given a US title)?

Here's another thing, since it's a Japaneese spec., you might have to import it as one. Cars made to the US market are the only ones that are listed on the RIV's site.

This is going to be interesting to see what it takes to bring it in. There are RHD Japaneese cars here so there must be awya to bring it in but I don't knwo if any of them came through the states.
NONE of the RHD's usually come thru the states because its far easier 2 bring a 15 year old jap car off the boat from the land of the rising sun than it is to the US.

I have NO clue how he got US tags for the car....i'm sure some liberties were taken with the insurance company, either that or wisconsin is just the greatest place to live in in the world lol. I'll post my findings after the ordeal is complete.
Old 02-14-2009 | 01:11 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

since it is over 15 years old RIV does not apply.
Old 02-14-2009 | 09:05 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Omar, don't buy your friends car. It's way too much paperwork. Instead, buy a completely unmolested version right here in your back yard...mine. Here is a link to the ad.
Old 02-14-2009 | 09:23 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

justin...ur car is out of my price range right now otherwise i would....unless you want my 996 in which case we can work out some kind of swap deal.
Old 02-14-2009 | 06:37 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

justin...ur car is out of my price range right now otherwise i would....unless you want my 996 in which case we can work out some kind of swap deal.
lol Omar. I hear you loud and clear. The right hand drive cars are a steal if you don't mind right hand drive. I was at Mazdees yesterday and they had a black one with rims like Zookie's red ones fully modded from Japan that the guy paid $11K for.

I will have to wait for a purist that wants my unmolested left hand drive version. But for Sh*ts and giggles, PM me and let me know what you would want for your car.

Good luck with getting the one you are looking at.
Old 02-14-2009 | 07:11 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

shouldnt be hard 2 find a buyer man. i'd take it in a heartbeat if i could get a decent price for my 996
Old 02-14-2009 | 08:02 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

shouldnt be hard 2 find a buyer man. i'd take it in a heartbeat if i could get a decent price for my 996
Are you really thinking about selling your car and leaving the Porsche family?

Quick Reply: Importing a Car to Canada Once It Is Already In The Country