Notices

Insurance Companies - Cheapest Rate

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 01:11 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 19a policy here in Alberta on both my Porsches. It is a collector car rider that bases the policy on the appraised value of the vehicle. I would be carefull, if your agent is trying to sell you 19 as 19a, they likely don't offer collector car insurance. If you have a 19a rider, there is no adjuster involved in the case of a write off, they cut you a check for the appraised value. With a 19, that is not the case.

A 19a policy is very different, there will typically be kilometer limits per year and a requirement for pleasure use only. A 19a vehicle cannot be the only car registered in your name, and it must be stored in a garage. However, these 19a collector car policies are typically much cheaper than a normal policy. I pay around $200 a year for my 924, and slightly more for my 951. Appraised values of 11K and 14K respectively.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:54 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
I called my insurance co. and they said that they have a "19" in quebec as opposed o 19A in Ontario....
the rep told me to fax them the evaluation and they will add it to my file...no additional charge. I found that a little odd that there is no additional premium for that....also, whats the diff between 19 and 19a?

thanks in advance guys.
This is exactly why I warned people a few posts back to call their insurance company to confirm that they in fact have a 19a rider and not a 19.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 392 Posts

Chrenan your info is not valid for Ontario not sure about Alberta.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:48 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Chrenan your info is not valid for Ontario not sure about Alberta.
Please be carefull with you 19 and 19a endorsements, there are certainly implications in Ontario:

http://www.vintagecarconnection.com/...definition.htm

19 is for the benefit of the insurer.

19a is for the benefit of the insured.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:54 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrenan
Please be carefull with you 19 and 19a endorsements, there are certainly implications in Ontario:

http://www.vintagecarconnection.com/...definition.htm

19 is for the benefit of the insurer.

19a is for the benefit of the insured.
here's the thing. In Quebec we dont have 19A, only 19. So it cant hurt to put it on because I am sure thier estimtae will be lower then my evaluation....any thoughts!
Old 03-19-2009, 05:51 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Do you guys physically sign & fax in your suspension of coverage when winter arrives (and subsequent sign/fax resumption of coverage in the spring),

or are coverage/suspension designations pre-assigned to each month?

It's a drag to call these people twice a year, i swear i feel like i'm getting
fleeced in the suspension/resumption transitions.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:16 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trickydisco
Do you guys physically sign & fax in your suspension of coverage when winter arrives (and subsequent sign/fax resumption of coverage in the spring),

or are coverage/suspension designations pre-assigned to each month?

It's a drag to call these people twice a year, i swear i feel like i'm getting
fleeced in the suspension/resumption transitions.
I have had to fax a signed letter when canceling road insurance for the winter, but never to add it back on, which makes sense to me. They want to make sure they have a signed document saying I am taking the car off the road as of a certain date so if I crash it after that date, they have a defense. I guess they want to also have proof that you want it back on in the spring so you can ask them to add it in March and then come back in May pretending to add it on again saying "I never added it back in March".
Old 03-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Ivc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
I have had to fax a signed letter when canceling road insurance for the winter, but never to add it back on, which makes sense to me. They want to make sure they have a signed document saying I am taking the car off the road as of a certain date so if I crash it after that date, they have a defense. I guess they want to also have proof that you want it back on in the spring so you can ask them to add it in March and then come back in May pretending to add it on again saying "I never added it back in March".
I've always just cancelled and reinstated coverage for my Corvettes via email exchange between me and my insurance company's agent. They certainly want the cancellation in writing for the reason you've given. The reason the driver should get the reinstatement in writing is that you don't want to phone the agent in March, have an accident in May and have the insurance company tell you that "You never added it back in March".
Old 03-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 392 Posts

I've always done it on the phone. changes are in effect after midnight. years ago the company I was dealing with charged me admin fee for changes, present company doesn't do it. they have said that the rate may change when you put it back on.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

$1152 for six months at daily driver rate or $990 under 'pleasure driving' for six months. $25 bucks per month for fire and theft when it sits in doors for the othe six months. Deductible is $500 on the 996 and $250 on the CTS. The Yoda and MX3 I can't remember but I think they may be $250 as well.

I'm over 50, spouse under 50, 3 drivers in the family, one under 21(now a G driver), no accidents ever no speeding tickets in the last 7 years, 4 cars insured (3 full, one liability only, (kids)) and one house policy all with State Farm.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:31 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

RBC Insurance has been excellent to me. Most insurance providers didn't have the GT3 in their database when I was trying to insure my car, but RBC gave a great rate of $2,200 insured all year. Best of all, their call centre is in Mississauga, so when I gave my address, she knew exactly where it was and I didn't have to spell out every obvious detail.

Quick Reply: Insurance Companies - Cheapest Rate