Notices

Porsche Tech sessions at an ontario college?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 03:13 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MattAu
Ok, I have signed up for the winter session (Jan/Feb). How many lifts do they have and how many in a class? Anyone know?
Six lifts and 8 to 10 in a class. Not everyone brings their car or needs a lift every night.

and drain plug.
You don't need a new drain plug unless you have screwed the hex up. Just make sure you get a washer with the filter - they normally tape it to the top of the box.

I bought an OEM filter but as long as you don't buy the screw on type your fine. Believe it or not Porsche do have a screw on filter for sale as a option but unless you want to use a can opener you can't cut it open that well. The OEM filter is easy to slice open after you've finished so that you can run a magnet through it to check for metal.

Bring a pair of safety shoes - this is a must for working in and around the shop. School rules. They do have loaners but really ratty.

When you do start the "dirty" stuff bring a roll of shop towels or some rags as they don't supply those and perhaps a pair of gloves will come in handy when your removing wheels.

If you need an alignment that's towards the final few nights and they can check your car out on the computer deck they have.

I did an assessment of what I thought I needed for my car and ordered ahead of time. One guy needed a new alternator and brought one in the second night and with one other guy helping he had it installed in about 1.5 hours on his 993.

Just remember you only have a solid two hours to do anything as they spend a half hour before you work and a half hour after going over items.

For small stuff like filters I would buy around here - for big ticket you can go on line. Brake parts seem to be marked up around here quite high and even with shipping, GST at the border and exchange I can still save $250 on four rotors.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:48 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
For small stuff like filters I would buy around here - for big ticket you can go on line. Brake parts seem to be marked up around here quite high and even with shipping, GST at the border and exchange I can still save $250 on four rotors.
May I ask where you get your filters then? I need air, oil and cabin filters.

Do you think I will be able to change the spark plugs during class? Maybe this is a stupid question, but can I change say 2-3 each class assuming time is tight and spread it over 2-3 classes?
Old 11-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

May I ask where you get your filters then? I need air, oil and cabin filters.
I got the oil filter at Mantis in Oakville and the airbox filter at Plaff because I was in the area. The cabin filter (up under the front hood) I vacuumed it out as it wasn't bad. I also drive with my sunroof open half the time so I don't think I'm getting any protection or value out of the pollen filter!

Do you think I will be able to change the spark plugs during class? Maybe this is a stupid question, but can I change say 2-3 each class assuming time is tight and spread it over 2-3 classes?
I guess I should have asked you what model you have. Shouldn't be a problem to do all of the plugs on a 996. 993 are harder then the M96 motors and 911's so/so. My brother in law has a 2.7 which is easier then a 996 to do but his oil filter is in a stupid location and a mess is certain.

Very do-able in one night for all six plugs in two hours.

Brake bleeds/refills are easy - I did mine in an hour. Brakes even without help are easy - front at least one night and rear the next class. I helped a guy with his boxster and we did all four rotors and pads in one night. His brake warning sensors we're good so we left the old ones so that saved a few minutes per wheel.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
I got the oil filter at Mantis in Oakville and the airbox filter at Plaff because I was in the area. The cabin filter (up under the front hood) I vacuumed it out as it wasn't bad. I also drive with my sunroof open half the time so I don't think I'm getting any protection or value out of the pollen filter!

I guess I should have asked you what model you have. Shouldn't be a problem to do all of the plugs on a 996. 993 are harder then the M96 motors and 911's so/so. My brother in law has a 2.7 which is easier then a 996 to do but his oil filter is in a stupid location and a mess is certain.

Very do-able in one night for all six plugs in two hours.

Brake bleeds/refills are easy - I did mine in an hour. Brakes even without help are easy - front at least one night and rear the next class. I helped a guy with his boxster and we did all four rotors and pads in one night. His brake warning sensors we're good so we left the old ones so that saved a few minutes per wheel.

I have a 997 S. I think I should be able to change the oil, the oil filter, the air filter and the cabin filter during the class. I do want to change all six spark plugs, and inspect the brakes as they are squeaking. If I can get all these things done, then that will be great. I suppose the teacher will teach us how to inspect all the things that needed to be inspected (as part of the major inspection), like drive belt, brake hoses and lines, steering gear, etc.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:15 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

and inspect the brakes as they are squeaking.
Could be a missing brake pad damper? Easy to inspect/replace $22USea

I suppose the teacher will teach us how to inspect all the things that needed to be inspected (as part of the major inspection), like drive belt, brake hoses and lines, steering gear, etc.
You shouldn't have too much to worry about on a 997 depending on km on your car, unless you track it.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Retrofishy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This course looks great, I think I may sign up for 2010!!!
Old 01-13-2010, 07:12 PM
MattAu
Instructor

They just called and said that the Jan session has been cancelled! And I was looking forward to get my oil and filters changed next week and my front tire patched the following week. Now I have to rely on DIY posted here to figure it out at home.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:38 PM
9 lives
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

They just called and said that the Jan session has been cancelled!
Did they happen to mention if there was going to be a spring class ?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:06 AM
MattAu
Instructor

Originally Posted by 9 lives
Did they happen to mention if there was going to be a spring class ?
Another session starts Apr 7. or so they said. This is the second time Centennial College cancel a course on me.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:09 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Anyone else signed up for this? I have not heard anything from the college so I assume it's not going to be cancelled this time and the course will start this Wed.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:18 PM
9 lives
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I just signed up for the classes that start next month. Anyone else going ? For those that have taken it in the past, anything I need to know or need to get before hand to be prepared ? I just got all my plugs, wipers, air and oil filters from Pelican last week. I need 2 new rear tires...is this something that I can do in class ?
Old 03-25-2011, 02:42 PM
MattAu
Instructor

I took the course before. During that class, there were too many of us to allow everyone to get their car serviced. Having said that, some were just happy to watch and help. I got my brakes fluid changed, and I could have gotten my oil changed as well if I wanted to but I already did it myself about 2 mths before the course started. One guy wanted to repair a flat and he ended up ruining the tire completely and even made a scratch on his rims, all while watching it done by the instructor. Two things to remember, 1) whatever you started must be completed by the end of the night. And after the initial setup and including time for cleanup and debrief, I am not sure plugs are possible. Brakes replacement (rotor and pads) were barely doable under that time frame to give you an idea. 2) other classmates are trying to be helpful but they are not mechanics, so if you are concerned about mess, mistakes, scratches, etc, I am not sure how comfortable you will be letting others work on your car with you. The instructor will walk around but will not do it for you.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Mike_UCR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9 lives
I just signed up for the classes that start next month. Anyone else going ? For those that have taken it in the past, anything I need to know or need to get before hand to be prepared ? I just got all my plugs, wipers, air and oil filters from Pelican last week. I need 2 new rear tires...is this something that I can do in class ?
I took the classes 2 years ago and really learned a lot. Guys were installing & balancing tires, replacing/machining rotors, installing pads, doing oil changes etc. Remember, you have to limit your job to 2-2.5 hours or the class will be over. You need to wear safety shoes.

Quick Reply: Porsche Tech sessions at an ontario college?