Notices

Porsche Tech sessions at an ontario college?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

I didn't realize it was wednesdays...now I could make it ...tuesdays are no good for me...thinking about signing up.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:43 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone signed up for the Winter 2010 session? I am thinking of signing up. What's the feedback from the Fall session?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MattAu
Has anyone signed up for the Winter 2010 session? I am thinking of signing up. What's the feedback from the Fall session?
Best $185 I've ever spent. I'm doing it again in the spring.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Best $185 I've ever spent. I'm doing it again in the spring.
So what's on the agenda for the spring ? Rotors ? fluid flush ?
Old 11-16-2009, 09:33 PM
MattAu
Instructor

I have two questions for those who have been on the course recently:

1) If I have no intention (at lesat for now) on working on my car other than swapping summer and winter wheel/tires setup twice a year (if you call that working on the car) Do you think it is worthwhile to attend the course?

2) My 4yr/60k service is coming up, do you think someone with absolutely no prior experience can get the 4yr/60k service done during the class? I have looked at the Major Maintenance Checklist and it looks like I will need to at least change the oil and filter, replace the air filter and the pollen filter, replace the spark plugs (is this necessary at 4 yrs? Am I reading it right?) And do a whole bunch of checks as well. I probably also want my brakes inspected since they are squeaking (though they have at least 70% of life left per PPI 4 wks ago). I also want to remount one of my front tires since it seems to be leaking very slowly but noticeably.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

don't see why not do those things but i would list your car somewhere so we can see what it is .. It is a matter of being organized and getting your parts.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:01 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
don't see why not do those things but i would list your car somewhere so we can see what it is .. It is a matter of being organized and getting your parts.
Sorry, my car is a 2006 997S cabriolet with Tip S. It has 56,000 km and it will be exactly 4 yrs old on Dec 27, 2009. So do I have to replace the spark plugs? It seems a bit early (based on other cars I have owed) to have to replace spark plugs after 4 yrs.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MattAu
I have two questions for those who have been on the course recently:

1) If I have no intention (at lesat for now) on working on my car other than swapping summer and winter wheel/tires setup twice a year (if you call that working on the car) Do you think it is worthwhile to attend the course?
Yes, because at least you can have a discussion with whom ever is working on your car and understand what they are doing and why.

2) My 4yr/60k service is coming up, do you think someone with absolutely no prior experience can get the 4yr/60k service done during the class? .
I missed the first night so out of five nights (3 hours each) I did the following:

- Oil/filter change. As simple as I have ever done on ANY car.
- Tire balance - all four.
- Brake fluid flush and refill.
- Undercar inspection, (no issues found).
- Brake change? (Next year!) I *could* have changed all four rotors and pads but elected to do it in the spring. I did help someone else do his and it is really easy. You could do two per night without help but as you always have help you could do all four brakes in one night with another person helping.
- I had a misfire, so checked and swapped two coil packs and had two plugs out, (found the issue). Even though the plugs looked fine I may do them in the spring as well. Number one and two cly's look the hardest but they have all the proper tools so it shouldn't be a huge pain. One of the instructors has a 996 so he knows all the 'short cuts' so to speak.

- Tire repair (I had a slow leak - small nail) The instructor showed us how to demount the tire, patch from the inside and then remount the tire and rebalance it using my tire as the training tool! I also brought in another two sets of tires and rims off my other cars and balanced them the last night of the course.

Don't feel like you don't know enough to take the course - thats what this course is for. I've worked on other cars but not P cars. P cars always seemed 'scary' to me for some reason as far as working on them. Not any more. Now am I ready to do an IMS bearing repair? Not on your life!!! But a 60K service I would say is well within the avg owners skills as always remember, your not there alone, you'll have other owners there helping you if you need it and the instructor a yell away.

Next spring:

- Brakes, (needed)
- Coolant change, (just because)
- Tip fliud, (maybe or at least a look see)
- Belts
- Plugs
Old 11-17-2009, 11:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I would say do the work As then you know it is done .. and at a reasonable cost .. the cost of your parts...
Old 11-20-2009, 12:37 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Ok, I have signed up for the winter session (Jan/Feb). How many lifts do they have and how many in a class? Anyone know?

At this time, my plan is to do my own 60k service. So my next question to you guys, where do you get your stuff? I guess I will need pollen filter, air filter, oil filter, oil, and drain plug. Anything else? I know the oil (Mobil 0w40) is available at Canadian Tire. What about the other stuff? Do I need to get genuine Porsche filters? Any cheaper but better brands out there you guys recommend? I know I can get stuff from Suncoast but shipping will be costly would it not? They only ship to where the credit card is registered so I can't have it shipped to my cousin in the US.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

that is not true about Sunset. they have shipped to http://canammailbox.tripod.com/ ( you may need to fill in a special form)
where do you get your information?
Old 11-20-2009, 05:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah sunset is great . They shipped to can am for me also . All i did was fax them my license and credit card in case of fraud . Once all went through fine they destroyed the fax and had me listed as " trusted customer" they were super easy to deal with, and great prices too.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:53 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbodan
that is not true about Sunset. they have shipped to http://canammailbox.tripod.com/ ( you may need to fill in a special form)
where do you get your information?
I got the following email from them when I asked them to ship to a hotel I was staying at a few weeks ago while I was in the States. I then called and asked them directly and asked whether I can have it shipped to my cousin in Plano, TX and he said if my credit card uses my cousin's address, then yes, otherwise the answer is no. I asked whether it's a eBay thing or is it generally the case, and was told that it's their policy for all online purchases, not just eBay.

Mattau,

We have had too many problems in the past with shipping to
Hotels. We have to rely on the Hotel Staff which is not cover under our
shippers lost item policy. Plus eBay and PayPal require us to do all of
the checking to make sure there is no fraudulent activity, so if
fraudulent, we lose out on eBay fees and the cost or the item ship.
Because we had run into these issues in the past we only ship to the bill
address.

Visit our website at www.SuncoastParts.com

If you have any
other questions, please don't hesitate to call or email

Thanks,
Aaron
Carlton
acarlton@sunsetautogroup.com
Old 11-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Matt,
I am sorry, you seem to get the worst customer service wherever you go. I even spoke with them as recently as a month ago and they have no problem shipping to the above address (not my billing address). maybe because it is not a hotel and they have shipped to me there before. I guess some guys have all the bad luck. I hope things get better. Perhaps mention Rennlist or PCA, or pay via paypal, maybe one of those would help.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:14 AM
webbie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt,

I ordered from Suncoast many many times. You can call up VISA and add your US address (friend, hotel or canam) as a shipping address.

Ric Knab is the guy I usually talk to. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Porsche Tech sessions at an ontario college?