Notices

2009 PCA DE's...who's signing up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Expect very little, neglible, really, if it's your first day. I still use the street tires I started DEs with 4 years ago, though I bought an extra set of wheels for track tires. Then again, I've still got a few events left in those tires, too.

In your first year at the track I wouldn't expect any wear on anything other than brake pads and possibly tires (if you advance really quickly) then you would see in "spirited" street driving. Porsches were/are built to be driven like this. Don't at all let it scare you away from at least trying a DE. IDS is fun, but it's not even foreplay, really
Old 01-19-2009, 12:27 AM
webbie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
IDS is fun, but it's not even foreplay, really
+1
Old 01-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

It all depends - if you focus on going fast right away you will chew through tires and brakes pretty fast. On the other hand, if you focus developing a smooth technique, you will get through a weekend or two at Mosport without significant wear and tear.
If the bug bites you, and you start picking up speed, you'll ultimately go through a set of tires and pads in about 10 track days.
Listen to the instructor the first weekend, take the time to learn the lines, and have fun.

Oh yeah - don't lift in corner 1 or there is a good chance that any wear and tear will suddenly become trivial

I've signed up for the first two - not yet sure about the rest.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Silver C
Advanced

NNJR has a weekend at Mid Ohio 5-7 June. Did it last year, it's an fairly easy 5-6 hour drive and a fantastic track, a series of tightly linked turns in the 2nd half of the circuit referred to as "madness" will keep you occupied lap after lap, and NNJR are a good crowd. There long weekend 14-16 Aug at the Glen is a great event with a good social side (well it was last year).

NER is doing the Tremblant (6-8 Jul) and Calaboogie (10-12) back to back.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Raymond Lum
Instructor

Three things to remember........................

1. For the corners...........................slow in, fast out.

2. Complete your braking and shifting in the work zone.................keep it straight please!

3. Being smooth is everything..............................

Enjoy yourself.............................its an addiction.

Quick Reply: 2009 PCA DE's...who's signing up?