Notices

Do I actually agree with fantino for once?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

As someone who spends most of the day behind the wheel in downtown Toronto I have a birdseye view of other drivers.
I see people driving cars without snow tires getting stuck at the slightest grade.
Nervous drivers in the left lane doing 20 kmh.
Maybe Fantino should educate the public instead of hammering people in the wallet with threats of insurance rates going up.
He doesn't seem to concerned about the slow response to clear the snow on OPP patrolled highways.

There I feel better now.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:23 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian 162
As someone who spends most of the day behind the wheel in downtown Toronto I have a birdseye view of other drivers.
I see people driving cars without snow tires getting stuck at the slightest grade.
Maybe Fantino should educate the public instead of hammering people in the wallet with threats of insurance rates going up.
He doesn't seem to concerned about the slow response to clear the snow on OPP patrolled highways.

There I feel better now.
There is actually no money in saving lives and educating drivers as sad as that is. If people are not dying, you can't put laws into place that are "supposed" to help save lives.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:24 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian 162

There I feel better now.
It really comes down to the issue of " rights vs. privilege". I'd like to see a lot more discipline on the road. I think cops should be watching for and ticketing unsafe lane changes. Passing on the right should be made illegal and that would create a situation that would force left lane hogs out of the way.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jim 7
Passing on the right should be made illegal and that would create a situation that would force left lane hogs out of the way.
Maybe, maybe not. What about the situation where the left lane hog is actually not being an ***, but completely unaware that he's obstructing traffic? Then they guy who wants to pass gets on his ***, gets pissed off, honks, flashes lights, etc. Then you've got at best 2 distracted drivers traveling far too close to each other, or at worst a road rage incident brewing. I think we'd also need to make left lane cruising illegal as well.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:48 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

See thats the thing. If right side passing was illegal then it would force LEO to keep the left lane clear.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:19 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jim 7
See thats the thing. If right side passing was illegal then it would force LEO to keep the left lane clear.
Naw, just use the snow plows that sit idle during the summer.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:23 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that the name "left lane" should always be replaced by "passing lane".
Many self-righteous clowns think that going at speed limit on the left lane is correct,
and don't give a sh%t if you want to pass or not.

Many think because they are driving at speed limit that you should't pass them, or
you would be speeding- so they get on the left lane and "park" there,
many times in formation of several vehicles.

EDIT: PS and NO I don't agree with Fantino.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:07 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 161 Posts

Everyone has brought up excellent points. Fantino, who was my former boss, is a media grabbing fool. The street racing legislation is a joke. It gives the power to a copper at the side of the road to act as crown, jury and judge! The best part of it is how it is applied.

The best story that I've heard so far is how people have to pay to get to wherever it was they were going when left at the side of the road. However, an elderly (82) gentleman was caught doing 162 km/h and was driven in the cruiser to wherever he need to go. Not to insult anyone members that are aged, but if it had been me, they would of left me there to my own avail. That is not fair.

Let's talk about denying insurance claims for bad weather "careless driving." There are lots of idiots out there. So, am I an idiot for driving my subaru in a snow storm? Probably. Give the insurance companies the right to say "you should not have been driving in those conditions." That is just B.S. and Fantino should just keep his mouth shut and look at what the real crime issues are.

He will never change! The problem is the public loves him. The only thing Miller ever did right was get him out of Toronto Police. No this has not made me a Miller supporter.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:04 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I think we all need to start writing letters to our MPP's to try to get rid of this idiot.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't think the Minister of Transport is going to change anything.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:27 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I think this is Fantinos stupidest idea yet. what a meglaomaniac. people don't get up in the morning thinking they are going to right off there car today . and so many people cause accidents without actually getting in them I would hate to try and prove somebody ran me into a ditch and wrote off my car because thay never clreared there snow from the windows and drove way not even knowing that they wrecked my car

Fantino kiss my ***
Old 12-24-2008, 12:29 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Christien ignorance of the law is NOT an excuse.... you must pull to the right to let faster vehicles pass. Slower traffic keep right .
Old 12-24-2008, 11:58 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantino is an **** and this latest piece of idiocy is further proof.

It is called insurance for a reason, maybe we should only get coverage on sunny clear days with no other traffic with xxxx feet and they waive the deductible if you are travelling below posted speed "limit".

How crazy are we getting.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

How about fine Fantino for everytime he proposes another stupid idea. since money is all he cares about this should shut him up.

how about signs that say "left lane is for passing only, fine of $10,000 if violated. this would provide Fantino with lots and lots of money and keep the flow of traffic moving.
or just add: driving with a car behind in the left lane, to street racing punishable with car impound etc...
Old 01-01-2009, 01:49 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose that the only real safe way to go is NO TO DRIVE in bad weather.
As Matt stated earlier, ALL accidents are caused by careless driving.
Except for the ones that are related to someone smashing into you on purpose due to road rage. :-P
If we all chose to stay home whenever the weather was bad, citing "heightened risk of personal liability" as the reason, then productivity & the economy would suffer.
An employer cannot expect you to put personal property at undue risk.
We all make choices everyday based on a risk/reward calculation.
I will not drive an hour in a snow storm to get a carton of milk, I will if my wife is having a baby.
If Fantino wants to place the power to remove my insurance coverage into the hands of a patrolman, then my personal risk is no longer quantifiable.
My equation goes out the window, and I have to assume the worst case scenario in my risk assessment.
It is already bad enough that the insurance companies often make "at fault" decisions based on minimal information. Now we are going to give patrolmen the ability to "cancel" you coverage based entirely on their sole opinion of the situation.

Here is an interesting analogy.
Lets cancel health care coverage for people with AIDS on account of the fact that they had careless sex. That will surely promote safe sex.

I agree, education is the key.
This is CANADA for god sake. IT SNOWS HERE.
Buy some good tires and learn to drive in the snow!

Or go to Vancouver.......... Hahaha!

Quick Reply: Do I actually agree with fantino for once?