Notices

Street Racing/Stunt Driving - Did you know?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

matt,
let me know if insurance in manitoba is cheaper than ontario.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:46 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

It's communist insurance there so it's a little different. I think there is a maximum you can reach regardless of how many tickets you have. Get a quote here. The thing that pisses me off is; yes, I have two vehicles but I can only ever drive one at a given time so why are my rates exactly double.

In other news, I put in to fight my ticket I got in Belleville. I got a letter in the mail inviting me to a 'consultation' to talk with some people there and to determine if a trial is really necessary or if we could come to a 'reasonable agreement'. Ya....tickets are all about 'safety' and not a 'cash cow'.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:46 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
It's communist insurance there so it's a little different. I think there is a maximum you can reach regardless of how many tickets you have. Get a quote here. The thing that pisses me off is; yes, I have two vehicles but I can only ever drive one at a given time so why are my rates exactly double.

In other news, I put in to fight my ticket I got in Belleville. I got a letter in the mail inviting me to a 'consultation' to talk with some people there and to determine if a trial is really necessary or if we could come to a 'reasonable agreement'. Ya....tickets are all about 'safety' and not a 'cash cow'.
Do you have the option to refuse the consultation. You don't want a reduction, you want the ticket thrown out.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:11 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Do you have the option to refuse the consultation. You don't want a reduction, you want the ticket thrown out.
Yes, it goes straight to trial after that. Problem is that Jan 5, 8am I have to be in Manitoba. Jan 3, 1pm is the consultation. I think there will have be some phone calls made.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'.
Jesus tap dancing christ....i'd be paying less than 1/5th of what i would be paying in ontario for insurance....can i pretend to live at your place?
Old 12-16-2008, 02:00 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Yes, it goes straight to trial after that. Problem is that Jan 5, 8am I have to be in Manitoba. Jan 3, 1pm is the consultation. I think there will have be some phone calls made.
Just get a buddy to go to court for you and tell the JP you are out of town. I had to do that for RallyGuy and all they did was set a new date.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
I'm in Winnipeg today...holy **** is it cold! -27c or -47c with the windchill!...I wish I could say my situation was about to improve
oh cumon Phil, im in Bombay, India... its 3am and its 32c and i am Jet Lagged as hell
Old 12-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

JP - thanks again for that!

Ended up winning that trial - so it's worth doing.

Fight EVERY ticket.

Re: the Racing law - have a read through in detail - you will be AMAZED at what's under its broad umbrella. Block another car that wants in your lane? "Street racing". Turn left on a green BEFORE the oncoming traffic has a chance to come through (making your own private advance green)? "Street racing". "Slide" your tires? Street racing.

There are LOTS of things they can get you for under this insane law.

RK
Old 12-18-2008, 01:39 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rally Guy

Ended up winning that trial - so it's worth doing.

Fight EVERY ticket.
Details please.

-matt
Old 12-18-2008, 02:04 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Re: the Racing law - have a read through in detail - you will be AMAZED at what's under its broad umbrella. Block another car that wants in your lane? "Street racing". Turn left on a green BEFORE the oncoming traffic has a chance to come through (making your own private advance green)? "Street racing". "Slide" your tires? Street racing.

RK
including acclerating too fast, i got pulled over for that, cop waned to impound my car but supervior let me go
Old 12-18-2008, 10:08 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zookie
including acclerating too fast, i got pulled over for that, cop waned to impound my car but supervior let me go
was this before or after the car was actually impunded?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:10 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

JP - thanks again for that!
No probelm RK. I actually like the seat time in court as it allows me to prepare for whenever my next trial date will be. And speaking of that, can't anyone go and just sit in a court room for the proceedings to see how they are handled? I think so. If that's the case, I suggest anyone trying to fight a ticket spend a morning or afternoon and familiarize themselves with the proceedings and who knows, you might even hear a defence that would also work for your case.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:17 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JP -

RK
Agreed. I picked a copy of this out of the paper a while ago - it filled more than a full column of possible infractions. It is an insanely broad law ... following too close in the cops opinion also = "stunt driving", etc. I believe it gives the police broad enough authority to classify anything they don't like as "stunt driving". People have been charged for stretching their legs briefly (rising out of the saddle) while driving a motorcyle with stunt driving. The list goes on .... frightening!
Old 12-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
was this before or after the car was actually impunded?

month before
Old 12-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I've heard from friends of friends who have used the defense "constitutional right to fair and speedy trial", where the trial date was a year after the offence (even when they themselves had requested a later/different trial date). Is this an urban legend or have any others heard of similar cases being thrown out based on this defense ?

Quick Reply: Street Racing/Stunt Driving - Did you know?