Cell ban coming to Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:09 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Is the ban already in effect or are they just talking about it.
It just had it's 1st reading yesterday. It's not law until signed by the crown. Don't worry, we'll hear more about it when it happens. The wording is reasonably vague but the media is saying that it is almost any unattached electronics device - including iPods.

Here is the bill as written: Bill 40, Highway Traffic Amendment Act (Cellular Phones), 2008

Ian
Old 10-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow this is confusing....
Subsection (2) does not apply to,

(a) a person who is not a novice driver while the person is driving a fire department vehicle, an ambulance or a public vehicle;

(b) a police officer who is not a novice driver while the person is driving a motor vehicle while in the lawful performance of the person's duties as a police officer; or

(c) a person prescribed by the regulations who uses equipment prescribed by the regulations in circumstances prescribed by the regulations.

Now this is going to be interesting. I am a licensed Amateur Radio Operator and I use mobile communications all the time. I wonder how this is going to effect my federal issued license???
Old 10-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Silver C
Advanced

Lawyers appraisal

ˇ The legislation will prohibit while driving:

o The use of hand-held wireless communication devices, such as cell phones, BlackBerrys

o The use of hand-held electronic entertainment devices, such as iPods or other portable MP3 players, PlayStation portables, GameBoys

o Texting and emailing

o Viewing display screens on devices unrelated to driving, such as laptop computers or DVD players

ˇ The legislation will exempt while driving:

o The use of hands-free wireless communications devices (i.e. Bluetooth)

o Pressing the button of a hand-held device secured in an accessible place to activate hands-free mode for an incoming or outbound call;

o GPS units mounted on dashboard/windshield

o Calls to 911

o The use by emergency services personnel (police, fire, ambulance)

o Logistical transportation tracking devices used for commercial vehicles

o Collision avoidance systems

o The use of any restricted devices if the motor vehicle is pulled off the roadway or lawfully parked

o Further exemptions for dispatch radios in commercial vehicles will be handled in the regulations.

ˇ If a driver is found guilty of an infraction, fines range from $60 to $500. It is a general penalty under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA). After such a conviction, a chief justice has the discretionary power of setting the amount of the fine within the specified range of a general penalty. Under such circumstances no demerit points will be carried over. However, in more serious cases, police officers may lay a Careless Driving charge under the HTA or a Dangerous Driving charge under the Criminal Code of Canada.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Silver...I agree that something should be done about the drivers with the phone glued to their head
but it should encompass all users including our police, ambulance and fire. They too should have phones that are bluetooth compatible or handsfree. What makes them different than anyone else??? a phone call is a phone call, they too can be distracted. I don't think that this will stop at just phones and entertainment devices. This will snowball I'm sure.....Bill

Quick Reply: Cell ban coming to Ontario