Cell ban coming to Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 04:29 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver C
Will they also ban drinking coffee.
Suits me fine, 3 of my 4 cars have no cupholders, the way God intended. I had a really bad accident 15 years ago, I was not drinking coffee, I was not talking on a cell phone. I was just driving, that's it. I don't want to do anything while I'm driving that distracts me from the multi-thousand pound killing machine I am in charge of.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
are headsets allowed?
I would imagine so as it leaves hands free same as hands free kit
Same thing. Most cell phones can be programed to voice dial.

My question is ... what's so important that one has to yak & drive?????
Old 10-27-2008, 05:07 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
Same thing. Most cell phones can be programed to voice dial.

Are you kiddie me...."Got to know where the latest shoe sales are"... "got to know if the new guy in the office has a girl friend"... Have to know where did you buy that dress...it makes you look smaller"...."Oh, honey can you pick me up a Double Quarter pounder with cheese, extra large fries, and a DIET Coke"... Come Jaak...these are very important things that just need to be known by every mini van driving soccer mom ....

I hate them...., I had one asswipe b**ch, completely run through a stop sign this weekend in front of me...she never touched her brakes and when we stopped at the next lights...sure enough...YAPPING on the F**KEN PHONE.

I looked over and tried to get her attention...but she never looked over and the lips never stopped moving....
Old 10-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Silver C
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
Ah, you make the assumption that when people get into their car their primary task is to drive. But generally and certainly in Ontario we have dumbed down driving (with low speed limits on highways and open roads and minimal pass criteria for driving permits) to a level where people don't consider it to be a task worthy of 100% concentration, until they ram you from behind.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Handsfree!!!?.... Sounds like fun, let me call my girlfriend over.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:56 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
Handsfree!!!?.... Sounds like fun, let me call my girlfriend over.

Zook, you're mind is in the gutter!
Old 10-27-2008, 06:01 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
are headsets allowed?
I would imagine so as it leaves hands free same as hands free kit
Dan,
here's the low cost handsfree/headset option. think the OPP would be cool with that?
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 387 Posts

Is that a man or woman???
Ms Pacman in the background
Old 10-27-2008, 06:37 PM
eddy915
Instructor

I don't disagree with the cell phone ban. However, I think they were talking about banning the GPS's as well? How the heck does that make sense? Without the GPS, I would have to idea of how to get to the GTG's and client appointments. Would they rather me read a map while I'm driving, or try to stare at street signs and rear end someone? Anyways, I hope I read the article in the Star incorrectly regarding the GPS, because either way I'll be using mine.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:53 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

I think they mean programing your GPS while driving, not banning actually having one. Most factory SAT/NAV systems won't allow any tactile inputs while the vehicle is in motion, but some have voice command programing available too now... portables are another story and most people will disable the "safe" mode anyway. My wife's '07 Infiniti's nav system will grey out most inputs once in motion, so you're forced to pull over if you want to make anything more than a minor change to your route..bit of a pain in the ***. The new 09's let you speak your inputs while driving and will even display the destination's phone number (businesses only) so you can dial it via bluetooth; very cool!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:22 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will TOTALLY be doing this...
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2008, 07:57 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

A few more options:
Attached Images     
Old 10-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz

Zook, you're mind is in the gutter!
waaaaaaaaa
Old 10-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RyeHigh
Are you kiddie me...."Got to know where the latest shoe sales are"... "got to know if the new guy in the office has a girl friend"... Have to know where did you buy that dress...it makes you look smaller"...."Oh, honey can you pick me up a Double Quarter pounder with cheese, extra large fries, and a DIET Coke"... Come Jaak...these are very important things that just need to be known by every mini van driving soccer mom ....

I hate them...., I had one asswipe b**ch, completely run through a stop sign this weekend in front of me...she never touched her brakes and when we stopped at the next lights...sure enough...YAPPING on the F**KEN PHONE.

I looked over and tried to get her attention...but she never looked over and the lips never stopped moving....
With the sync system in my edge ... I still keep the inbound conversation to less than a minute. Boss hates it ... but, it's corporate policy!!!! Gets me outa extra work. Hell ... my cell phone bill has less than 150 minutes use on it ....
Old 10-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pongobaz
I think they mean programing your GPS while driving, not banning actually having one. Most factory SAT/NAV systems won't allow any tactile inputs while the vehicle is in motion, but some have voice command programing available too now... portables are another story and most people will disable the "safe" mode anyway. My wife's '07 Infiniti's nav system will grey out most inputs once in motion, so you're forced to pull over if you want to make anything more than a minor change to your route..bit of a pain in the ***. The new 09's let you speak your inputs while driving and will even display the destination's phone number (businesses only) so you can dial it via bluetooth; very cool!
Correct ... it's the adjustment of the unit ... same with MP3 players etc.

Quick Reply: Cell ban coming to Ontario