Notices

Rust proofing

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:50 AM
tonga3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust proofing

I have an '05 Cayenne S that is in need of some rust prevention before winter. Anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks
Andy
Old 09-18-2008, 10:27 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You beat me to it. This subject came up at Mosport yesterday. Someone mentioned Krown. The guys on Dream Car Garage use them.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:03 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

On a modern Porsche, I wouldn't bother with any additional rust proofing since the factory protection is so good. FYI: Krown is an oil based protectant that will get into everything! They mist it on and it ends up all over the car and takes a long time to clean off. Even then, the oil will drip onto your driveway for weeks! Used it on my daughter's car last year and it made a mess.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:18 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

They also drill holes into your cars to get at the cavities.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

double cheak with Porsche... i know VW Voids Warranty if you get Rust Proffing done on Factory Galvanized Cars...

Plus if your car is Galvanized from factory, rust proffing is point less....
Old 09-18-2008, 01:35 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the 330i Krowned last season.
Yes, the oil misting is sort of messy and drippy for a while.
And it also collects alot of dust/dirt/crud, so it def won't look
factory new and bare, but it's now "protected".

Regarding the drilling of holes - they would say that the
rust prevention process is dramatically hampered if you
refuse the holes. I also believe they will not honor
the guarantee unless you permit them to drill/spray
to get into all the nooks & crannies.

I'll be getting the car done again next week maybe.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

the holes are in door jams and get rubber plugs if factory setup doesn't leave space. it is not very noticeably and the pepper will never be collectible so it shouldn't matter.
one benefit is that the oil lubes everything and older cars usually work better after.
winter sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we pay for it in so many ways
Old 09-18-2008, 08:44 PM
tonga3
Advanced

There is already holes with plugs in the doors, so maybe this has already been done. I'll take it in and have it checked out. Damn winter.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:44 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

The Krown stuff really works. I had my GMC Savanna van done yearly since new and it has over 300ks on it and the body is as good as new. It does drip alot though. I had the 944 done once and it may have helped but the mess wasn't worth the trouble.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:59 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by tonga3
There is already holes with plugs in the doors, so maybe this has already been done. I'll take it in and have it checked out. Damn winter.
They drill holes in stuff like the door jambs and the door sills/rockers to get into there as well. It's not just inside the door. Check out the Krown FAQ on their website, I think it talks about it.

-matt
Old 09-23-2008, 05:45 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gentleman, If you pay to rustproof your car you are insane. I am inimately familiar with military spec and retail rustproofing. Too long to get into in this forum but I have been involved with OEM coatings for decades. I also contributed to the U.S. mil spec and U.S. OEM manufacturer specifications.

Your modern Porsche requires no additional chemical rustproofing application and may void your body warranty.

Wash your car regularly in the winter on top and underneath. Avoid storing your car in an unheated garage with a concrete floor.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:35 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by disasterman
Gentleman, If you pay to rustproof your car you are insane. I am inimately familiar with military spec and retail rustproofing. Too long to get into in this forum but I have been involved with OEM coatings for decades. I also contributed to the U.S. mil spec and U.S. OEM manufacturer specifications.

Your modern Porsche requires no additional chemical rustproofing application and may void your body warranty.

Wash your car regularly in the winter on top and underneath. Avoid storing your car in an unheated garage with a concrete floor.
Note these words here. Very good advice. The standard "tar" rustproofing will clog factory drain holes and disrupt internal drainage channels. This will trap water and cause your Porsche to rust faster. When I was a kid I remember seeing my dad rustproof vehicles all day long. These were older american cars. Now at his shop, he rarely rustsproofs anything and when he does, it's normally a classic car being restored. The stuff is ugly, messy, and weighs the vehicle down. Nonfactory rustproofing is definately a deal breaker when I buy used cars. I have turned down many otherwise great deals because of this.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:37 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Wait a sec, are you guys talking about a 'tar' like application or the simple 'oil spray'?
Old 09-27-2008, 08:04 AM
tonga3
Advanced

I was talking about an oil spray, but everyone seems pretty mixed on the idea.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Jlangmd
Racer

I was buying a mercedes a few years ago, and asked about the rustproofing that inevitably comes up at the time of purchase. The salesman looked at me, paused, and said "Mercedes vehicles do not rust". Modern vehicles, especially high end use so much galvanized sheet metal and aluminum (turbo's have the doors and hood in aluminum at least) that you are going to cause more problems than solve by applying anything.

Quick Reply: Rust proofing