Notices

Rust proofing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:29 AM
Jlangmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
Wash your car regularly in the winter on top and underneath. Avoid storing your car in an unheated garage with a concrete floor.
What specifically about an unheated garage and concrete? I have a well insulated but unheated garage, and a concrete floor which has cured for 15 years. Is there something I should know?
Old 09-27-2008, 09:52 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlangmd
I was buying a mercedes a few years ago, and asked about the rustproofing that inevitably comes up at the time of purchase. The salesman looked at me, paused, and said "Mercedes vehicles do not rust". Modern vehicles, especially high end use so much galvanized sheet metal and aluminum (turbo's have the doors and hood in aluminum at least) that you are going to cause more problems than solve by applying anything.
Hmmmm. I have a 2000 Audi A4 that I have owned since new. 8 years later, I have had my hood replaced under warranty as rust was bubbling through the paint. I just noticed rust spots on my driver side a pillars. I know it's not a Mercedes but it is a moderns German car. So in my opinion, all cars rust. What gets me is that an oil spray does not get between the metal and the paint, and that's where rust starts.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:58 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Indoor concrete and cold. Concrete holds moisture. The moisture will condense on vehicle/metal every time dew point is reached. With the humidity of the region, both in winter and summer this is the cause of rust on a stored vehicle in an unheated garage/building. A heated garage prevents the dew point from being reached, also heating air via gas forced air dries it. If your going to store a car in an unheated space it is best to store it on a dirt floor. At the very least you should elevate a car stored on concrete seperating the car from the concrete floor with at least 2-4" of wood.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:29 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

what about installing a "racedeck" type flooring over the unheated concrete?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

I have stored my cars on Concrete for over 20 years and have never had rust issues. I always put a giant layer of cardboard down ( usually old boxes ) ( an excellent absorbant ) and then roll a pieace of old carpet over it if i want to work on the car over the winter. never had an issue. Also be aware if raising a car keep it on it's wheels, or ayt least don't let the suspension hang. it puts stress on the suspension and shock and strut seals that were never intended.

Quick Reply: Rust proofing