Notices

Got smacked by a Dump Truck!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:18 AM
arthrellem
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about the reduced resale value??

Someone posed this question, but I did not see a response. I am in a similar situation:

I was sitting in my 06 997S--completely stopped--at a stop sign. I was rear ended and hit so hard that I ended up being driven underneath the F150 pick-up in front of me. No structural or real mechanical damage, but in excess of $15K to the body. (It is perfect now, after a month repair.)

I would like to dump the car and look at a new one, but now that it has a big repair on carfax, I am told by the dealer that the value would be "offensively low."

Do I have my lawyer go after the other driver's insurance company? Most importantly...IS THERE ANY PRECEDENT for recovering this kind of lost value? It is clearly a catastrophic loss that is also clearly NOT my fault.

Please advise
Old 10-17-2008, 12:46 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

I don't have any advise but what you are talking about is refered to as " diminished value" The insurance company only has to fix it " as new" but i have heard of guys suing ( mostly in the US of course ) for diminished value on the car. The hard part is of course assigning a dollar value to it.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:49 PM
arthrellem
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks.

I will look into this.

(When in Rome...)

Quick Reply: Got smacked by a Dump Truck!!