Speeding ticket advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:17 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Ryehigh: plead not guilty hope cop doesn't show if he does ask for adjournment as your representative was not able to attend first court, good chance they won't show at second court date. if cop doesn't show they will throw it out. Insurance doesn't care about points only convictions. If first shouldn't affect rates but second will
Thanks for the advice...can you imagine if everyone drove at the speed limit...I mean, it's hard to keep a car at 40km for any stretch of time....ASSWIPES.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ryehigh: plead not guilty hope cop doesn't show if he does ask for adjournment as your representative was not able to attend first court, good chance they won't show at second court date. if cop doesn't show they will throw it out. Insurance doesn't care about points only convictions. If first shouldn't affect rates but second will
Dan, I think this maybe a good strategy to follow,.... but there is a chance that the judge could disallow the adjournment?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:52 PM
webbie
Pro

I've heard that the cops are paid overtime to attend the court now. Can anybody confirm/deny that?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know - cop showed for both my appearances (1st time I requested adjournment, 2nd time the crown did). The cop was there for other appearances as well, so it made sense. They get paid to attend court. But I can't see any reason for disallowing an adjournment for that reason. If you said you just weren't ready, they'd say too bad, but if your attorney "couldn't make it", you should be fine.

Just before we all crap on this cop for being overbearing, why was it a 40 zone? Was it a school zone or something similar?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:10 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christien
I don't know - cop showed for both my appearances (1st time I requested adjournment, 2nd time the crown did). The cop was there for other appearances as well, so it made sense. They get paid to attend court. But I can't see any reason for disallowing an adjournment for that reason. If you said you just weren't ready, they'd say too bad, but if your attorney "couldn't make it", you should be fine.

Just before we all crap on this cop for being overbearing, why was it a 40 zone? Was it a school zone or something similar?
Yeah it was a school zone, Queen St and Parliament....it was before 8:00am...no kiddies yet.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:33 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

I fought one a while ago.
First I met the crown. He offered me no points and a $50 fine.
He tells me either take or go in front of the judge.
Do you feel lucky?
I tool it. Still went on my record though.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

points mean dick
it's number of offenses the insurance looks like. You are right Rod. But you did save a few bucks
Old 09-03-2008, 08:27 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Jack at H.E.L.P I just a call from him 5 hours ago (today was my courtdate). Charges dismissed
Old 09-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by trickydisco
Try Jack at H.E.L.P I just a call from him 5 hours ago (today was my courtdate). Charges dismissed
I second Jack. He got a speeding ticket that I got on the westbound Lakeshore exiting the Gardiner (109 in a 60) dismissed.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:08 AM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Really, do you know why charges were dismissed?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:09 AM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian 162
I second Jack. He got a speeding ticket that I got on the westbound Lakeshore exiting the Gardiner (109 in a 60) dismissed.
Same question, do you know why charges were dismissed?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RyeHigh
Same question, do you know why charges were dismissed?
Long story short.

I got the ticket in Dec.2005

First court date Nov. 2006. He tried using the charter argument ( too long until trial held). The J/P wanted no part of that however there was no time to hear the speeding charge. Trial was re-scheduled for July 2007.

Second court date the case was dismissed because it too long to come to trial.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:35 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RyeHigh
Really, do you know why charges were dismissed?
Long story, but I initiated the court process solo. When the date arrived
(almost a year later) I was not present.

Got convicted. (of course)

Applied to re-open.

Requested disclosure.

Six months later my court date arrives. One month prior to the court date,
I enlisted Jack b/c fk i was tired of all the running around.

I informed Jack that I still had not received disclosure and perhaps he could
use that.

Court date arrives, Jack visits with the prosecutor many hours before
trial time, and does whatever he does. He states the nondisclosure issue.

He calls me to tell me, in case i was going to attend trial, to not bother as
charges were dropped. I may have been able to finish-out the process
by myself, but I knew I would be out of the country so I let Jack finish it.
Plus, many have stated that Jack has gotten them dismissals.

That's all I know.

Last edited by trickydisco; 09-05-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Long story, but I initiated the court process solo. When the date arrived
(almost a year later) I was not present.

Got convicted. (of course)

Applied to re-open.
No offence to you at all personally, but this is what drives me nuts about our court system. If you don't show up for trial without a legit, provable excuse (i.e. hospital records), you should be convicted, end of story.

In cases like this for speeding tickets, it doesn't really bug me, because the court process is so unfairly slanted against defendants such as yourself. But in civil matters it pisses me right off. My company has been to small claims court several times as a plaintiff, and the court system is so much weighted in favour of the defendant that they can walk all over the system and completely dick us (as the plaintiff) around. We try to play by the rules, they can't even do us the service of attending, and so the judge says we have to reschedule to give him another chance, which means another day out of the office for me, waiting my turn in a court room, paying a babysitter, etc. F#$k that. You don't show up, you don't deserve another chance.

Sorry, I'm really not attacking you personally, you just struck a really raw nerve. I have yet to actually receive justice from our justice system. I'm glad at least to see the leniency towards defendants works for "good guys", in a proper way, such as your case, sometimes, not just spoon-feeding the deadbeats we deal with.

Last edited by Christien; 09-05-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:00 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Christien
No offence to you at all personally, but this is what drives me nuts about our court system. If you don't show up for trial without a legit, provable excuse (i.e. hospital records), you should be convicted, end of story.

In cases like this for speeding tickets, it doesn't really bug me, because the court process is so unfairly slanted against defendants such as yourself. But in civil matters it pisses me right off. My company has been to small claims court several times as a plaintiff, and the court system is so much weighted in favour of the defendant that they can walk all over the system and completely dick us (as the plaintiff) around. We try to play by the rules, they can't even do us the service of attending, and so the judge says we have to reschedule to give him another chance, which means another day out of the office for me, waiting my turn in a court room, paying a babysitter, etc. F#$k that. You don't show up, you don't deserve another chance.

Sorry, I'm really not attacking you personally, you just struck a really raw nerve. I have yet to actually receive justice from our justice system. I'm glad at least to see the leniency towards defendants works for "good guys", in a proper way, such as your case, sometimes, not just spoon-feeding the deadbeats we deal with.

No worries ... I remember your previous posts and I KNEW somebody was going to call me on this. Your point is completely valid. I'm operating within the structure of the system, but yes, I know i'm not helping the problem.

fwiw, i had to PLEAD with a separate justice of the peace ( i think) to reopen
my case based upon not receiving the first court date mailer. Dude really
made me sweat. I won't be taking that course of action again ... it simply wasnt worth the stress. I'll simply get Jack in the mix from the beginning
and be done with it.

Anyway, it was never my intention to disclose the details of my case, but buddy asked, so I told.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket advice