Notices

Speeding ticket advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 02:05 PM
gofor28off
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket advice

I got nailed just N.E. of Newmarket on Sunday coming home from the cottage. It has been about 2 years since I was last caught so I guess I was due.
I was in my Audi and probably going around 110 in an 80 zone. The officer was very cordial and reduced the ticket to only write it for 15kph over; only $52 and no points. Given he was fair and reduced it, I was going to just pay it and not give it another thought but when I got home and read it he wrote the vehicle as an 09 Audi. The car is of course not an 09 but is an 06, but his writing clearly says 09.
So since I am clearly "not guilty" of speeding in an 09 car (don't even think 09's are on the road yet!), would this be automtically thrown out if it goes to a trial?
Anyone know?
Regards,
Paul.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:10 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The officer was nice to you and let you off easy. You're not getting any points so why not pay it? If you fight it in court, the officer will probably never let another person off easy and you'll have stolen someone else's good karma.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:17 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
The officer was nice to you and let you off easy. You're not getting any points so why not pay it? If you fight it in court, the officer will probably never let another person off easy and you'll have stolen someone else's good karma.
I agree and I believe it doesn't matter about the incorrect year on the ticket.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:18 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Maybe your reading the ticket upside down?
I would just pay it and get it over with it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:32 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

FIGHT IT!!!! nah just kidding..........the 09 is most likely your current val tag expire date....just looking at my part ones

ON marker...year...prov...make...collision...wit...code
abb*** ... 09 ... ON ... pors... y/n ... y/n

Last edited by MY86Carrera; 07-23-2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: try to clearify
Old 07-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

A single mistake does not invalidate a speeding ticket. He can still identify you.I would definitely pay it. If there are no points its just a cost of driving.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm pretty sure if you fought the judge would take one look at it and say "get real"! Misspellings of names, make/model, etc, assuming they're not so far off as to confuse the identity, vehicle or plate aren't grounds for acquittal. Now if he had made such a mistake in your plate #, maybe.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Garth82928
Advanced

I was a big believer in taking my medicine when it came to speeding tickets until 2000 when after three "minor" speeding tickets in 2.5 years, 73 in a 60, 68 in a 60, 69 in a 60, my insurance went to $4500 a year from $800. Haven't gotten a speeding ticket since (cruise control keeps me legal, even in 60 zones), but would fight it to the death if I did get one. Not because I dislike the police, but the fact that I have never had an insurance claim means nothing in the face of "minor" tickets.

Fortunately, my insurance has come back in line, but for 5 years, I paid a lot more than I probably deserved to pay based on no accidents, claims and only 3 tickets in 23 years of driving.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:32 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Just to note, just because it has 'no points' doesn't mean you won't see a hike in your insurance.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:21 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

I FIGHT ALL MY TICKETS, NO EXCEPTIONS, THROUGH MY LAWYER......YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU WILL NEED THOSE EXTRA POINTS.....IF ANYONE NEEDS A GOOD TICKET LAWYER IN MONTREAL, LET ME KNOW.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:08 PM
gofor28off
Racer

I was a big believer in taking my medicine when it came to speeding tickets until 2000 when after three "minor" speeding tickets in 2.5 years, 73 in a 60, 68 in a 60, 69 in a 60, my insurance went to $4500 a year from $800. Haven't gotten a speeding ticket since (cruise control keeps me legal, even in 60 zones), but would fight it to the death if I did get one. Not because I dislike the police, but the fact that I have never had an insurance claim means nothing in the face of "minor" tickets.

Fortunately, my insurance has come back in line, but for 5 years, I paid a lot more than I probably deserved to pay based on no accidents, claims and only 3 tickets in 23 years of driving.
Yes, this is exactly my point. I'm not worried about the $50, it's that with one ticket 2 years ago and one now that would put me 1 ticket away from possibly getting screwed by the insurance company.
Anyway, my real question was whether anyone knows the liklihood of getting a "not guilty" due to the incorrect model year of the car written on the ticket, and I am hearing from the responses that it would be unlikely.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Zeeman28a
Racer

Here's a forum for just that question.

http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/
Old 07-23-2008, 06:24 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar experience with a really nice cop. He let me off with a warning, but it's true, insurance sees a conviction as a convition. Points only matter to the ministry of transportation. I ordered disclosure (the officers notes) from the court when I went to get my court date. My disclosure never came so when I got to court, I was called up by the prosecuter. She said she was surprised that I was fighting the ticket as it had already been reduced to a warning. I told her that I wanted to fight it anyway and that I ordered diclosure and it never came. She then had a brief conversation with the cop, and when I was called up to discuss my case, the prosecuter withdrew it.

I waited until court was over so I could talk to the cop. I told him I thought he was really fair at the scene of the incident and that I really appreciated what he did for me. I then explained that I had to fight this or my insurance would go up and I meant no disresoect to him. He then told me that I should tell all of my friends that want to get off a speeding ticket to order disclosure as cops lose it all the time.

My advice...Fight your Sppeding Ticket!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:43 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Maybe we should start fighting insurance companies..........just a thought
Old 07-23-2008, 06:50 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BGregovski
Maybe we should start fighting insurance companies..........just a thought
You know, that is a great idea. Dangerous driving is one issue that people should be penalized for, but speeding to a point in certain environments is not necessairly unsafe. Yet, insurance companies are just looking for ways to raise the premiums. Anyway, fighting them will never work, but it is a great idea.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket advice