Notices

CMP lapping event at Calabogie Review.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:00 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default CMP lapping event at Calabogie Review.

I attended the CMP July 8 and 9 days run by CMP lapping.
This was my second time with CMP and they continued to impress. Safety, safety, safety was emphasized all day and agressive or "out of control" driving was not tolerated. The corner workers were watching like hawks and drivers were black flagged if any issues were detected. Drivers who received black flags were met by the CMP chief instructor and counselled appropriately.
Corner workers are very good at Calabogie and blue flags are used well to advise if passing is required. The debris flag is also used to alert drivers if the local wildlife is on track. Bonnie is in charge of the corner workers and she is both highly amusing and professional.
Sessions are 28 minutes long and we had two run groups of approx 10 cars in each group. Cars ranged from various Porsche types, Z06s, Mustangs, Subarus, Evos, Dodge Charger and an Audi R8. I also met "Crazy Canuck"! A good group of courteous and fun men and women.
The pit management is excellent and ran like clockwork for the 2 days.
Day 1 was interrupted mid-afternoon by T-storms. As I had 240km in, I cut my day short. Calabogie is a very challenging and fun track with plenty to keep you busy. It is like a Mosport DD track all grown up. Pavement is perfect and the scenery is spectacular.
My friend from Utah who has a cottage near mine shipped up his highly modified Evo for summer track use. As he had changed his streets to slicks at the track, we left his car in the paddock and used mine to head back and forth..our cottages are just south of Perth approx 100 km from the track. We asked track management about security for the night....a one word answer was given...BEARS. They patrol the property at night looking for left-over lunches.
On day 2, we left in rain, but weather cleared as we approached the track and we had great weather for the day. I put in just over 300 km and the track temps were perfect.
A very quick and well driven GT-3 was there and it sounded great as he passed me (frequently I might add). We met at the local gas station and compared fuel use. My 3.4 L 996 used $49 worth..he clocked in at $93 for the same elapsed time on the track.
On my second session after lunch, on the last lap I had a complete loss of concentration. Going into Turn 1 at the end of the pit straight, I forgot where I was and what I was doing. Didn't brake properly, missed turn-in and went into Turn 2 very wide and too fast. It was interested how I got my concentration back in a real hurry. There is a grassy verge on the right hand side and I decided to drive straight at it and through it rather than fight a bad situation. I didn't turn the wheel or brake on entry to grass and let the car slow down before gently applying brakes All worked out but it was a bit of a bumpy ride. Lesson for the day....cut afternoon sessions to 20 minutes instead of 28.
I consider CMP to have an equal (and very high) level of professionalism as Apex. Highly recommended.
I'm back to Calabogie with Howard and Marc Dexter on Aug 8 and 9...anyone else attending?
Cheers
Ian
Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you enjoyed the event. Were you in the black 996?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:54 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I drive a Seal Grey 996 Cab with black top...#12 in blue group at the event. I certainly recognize your car, especially from the rear as you passed by me a few times! Sweet car and well driven.
Cheers
Ian
Old 07-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rideau
I attended the CMP July 8 and 9 days run by CMP lapping.
This was my second time with CMP and they continued to impress. Safety, safety, safety was emphasized all day and agressive or "out of control" driving was not tolerated. The corner workers were watching like hawks and drivers were black flagged if any issues were detected. Drivers who received black flags were met by the CMP chief instructor and counselled appropriately.
Corner workers are very good at Calabogie and blue flags are used well to advise if passing is required. The debris flag is also used to alert drivers if the local wildlife is on track. Bonnie is in charge of the corner workers and she is both highly amusing and professional.
Sessions are 28 minutes long and we had two run groups of approx 10 cars in each group. Cars ranged from various Porsche types, Z06s, Mustangs, Subarus, Evos, Dodge Charger and an Audi R8. I also met "Crazy Canuck"! A good group of courteous and fun men and women.
The pit management is excellent and ran like clockwork for the 2 days.
Day 1 was interrupted mid-afternoon by T-storms. As I had 240km in, I cut my day short. Calabogie is a very challenging and fun track with plenty to keep you busy. It is like a Mosport DD track all grown up. Pavement is perfect and the scenery is spectacular.
My friend from Utah who has a cottage near mine shipped up his highly modified Evo for summer track use. As he had changed his streets to slicks at the track, we left his car in the paddock and used mine to head back and forth..our cottages are just south of Perth approx 100 km from the track. We asked track management about security for the night....a one word answer was given...BEARS. They patrol the property at night looking for left-over lunches.
On day 2, we left in rain, but weather cleared as we approached the track and we had great weather for the day. I put in just over 300 km and the track temps were perfect.
A very quick and well driven GT-3 was there and it sounded great as he passed me (frequently I might add). We met at the local gas station and compared fuel use. My 3.4 L 996 used $49 worth..he clocked in at $93 for the same elapsed time on the track.
On my second session after lunch, on the last lap I had a complete loss of concentration. Going into Turn 1 at the end of the pit straight, I forgot where I was and what I was doing. Didn't brake properly, missed turn-in and went into Turn 2 very wide and too fast. It was interested how I got my concentration back in a real hurry. There is a grassy verge on the right hand side and I decided to drive straight at it and through it rather than fight a bad situation. I didn't turn the wheel or brake on entry to grass and let the car slow down before gently applying brakes All worked out but it was a bit of a bumpy ride. Lesson for the day....cut afternoon sessions to 20 minutes instead of 28.
I consider CMP to have an equal (and very high) level of professionalism as Apex. Highly recommended.
I'm back to Calabogie with Howard and Marc Dexter on Aug 8 and 9...anyone else attending?
Cheers
Ian
Nice to have met you Ian.

Glad you enjoyed your day.

Quick Reply: CMP lapping event at Calabogie Review.