Notices

Police Officer cleared of DUI

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Zeeman28a
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BGregovski
Why would you lay the "street racing" charge with the 7 day licence suspension when his licence is already gone for 90 days for the "impaired" there the racing is not an issue.
I think what the "people" are more angry than anything else is that the perception is cops are held to a different standard.

If I was DUI and speeding, I have no doubt in my mind that I would have lost everything on the spot at the time of the incident. Not only the 90 day, but the 7 day and the loss of the vehicle. I would have been "charged" with the offences and probably a few more too. This cop was only charged with DUI.

Now granted, we have a legal system that, to be fair, is equal on both sides of the law. And sometimes, that sucks. We've all been there, or know someone that's been there. And usually, if it's someone we know, we tend to try and do what we can to get them off. But other people, release them to the hounds. So however the cop was able to do it, he beat the system, hopefully, in a way it was designed to be beat.

But if that were me, and I was able to beat the system in the same way, the damage would have already been done. The DUI goes away, but not the 7 day suspension or the loss of a vehicle (would they have impounded an unmarked police cruiser?). It's done and it's on my permanent record. There is no way to fight this cause by the time you get to court, it's way past the 7 days.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:20 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Cops are ********......the one who posted here just made my point.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Sputter
Pro

That's pretty harsh man, and you used such a broad brush.
Some can be, but a good many are not. (no more than any other group of people imho)

I don't know BG, but from his posts he seems like a "regular" guy.

Originally Posted by YYC930
Old 07-04-2008, 01:07 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Sputter......

20 people have been killed since 2003 with a weapon that the cops to this day deny is dangerous.......the taser. If they'd have been shot with a handgun they would have been banned from carrying them by now.

Taser use in the RCMP is at all time high levels, and found to be used way more than called for in their own training manuals. It is it their weapon of choice.

I "had" cop acquaintences who openly bragged that they were dying to taser someone at the first chance they got......

The RCMP is actively resisting implementing the points and recommendations in this public inquiry report.......

http://www.cpc-cpp.gc.ca/DefaultSite...ArticleID=1851

As a legally licensed car dealer I have been jacked up so many times just because I have a d-plate on a car it is ridiculious. I carry a copy of the page from the relevant section of the Alberta Highway Traffic Act authorizing it's use in my car to give to these clueless jerks when pulled over. You should see the look on their faces.....stupid ctnus.

I just paid POINTTS $400 to get my off a BS ticket I was issued a couple of months ago.....the crown prosecutor dropped it immediately. There is a great story there.

Pull up all the OPP threads in this forum......

And the subject of this thread is about what ?

I hope that this helps you reassess your opinion.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:57 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Hey YYC, I'm getting a vibe that you are not super fond of cops...

But I have to agree, coming on with "You guys are so full of S**T" does not lend itself to reasonable discourse!

There are good cops (I know one), but unfortunately too many bad ones. A York region officer living across from my sister flagrantly breaks many laws in plain, public view. I know neighbours have complained to the police department about it (and these are obvious, easily verified stories), yet nothing seems to happen.

Unfortunately, it does seem to be a profession that attracts a disproportionate number of people that like to strut around and exert power.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Come on, your going to tell me that it was a fair trial? that's the biggest pile of **** I have ever heard. You're a cop and you know better so don't even go there.
If someone in a P-Car got stopped and made the press, you bet he would have been charged with the racing, DUI and on and on as well as being convicted. Let's see, 9 beer in the vehicle, one in the front seat and he gets away with it?
I have many friends who are cops and most cops are very honerable but give me break. Same thing across the country. As with the Point after sting a couple of years ago in Edmonton, even high ranked cops will bend things at will.

Oh yea I forgot "the secret code". Hand your police ID instead of the D.L. Probably the only reason he really got stopped is the ghost car called it in as a suspect DUI, plated him and then had no choice but to go through with it. Yes cynical but standards need to be the same.

http://www.injusticebusters.com/04/Diotte_Kerry.shtml
Old 07-04-2008, 09:43 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

It is totally naive to think that 'consideration' is not available within the judicial system and the closer one is to it the more available it is. Methinks however that the cop involved in this DUI story is wisely considering a career change.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:55 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

In think the point here is that police officers are not infallable. They are just like you and I when they are off duty and make the same good and bad judgement calls that we do. What this does prove however is that they should not have the ability to convict drivers on the spot. They are not unbiased or impartial. If you are nice to them, they might knock you down a few km/h. If you say something that offends them, they can throw the book at you right there on the spot. This is way too much power for any of them to have. That is why we have a court system to deal with this in an impartial tribunal. Let both sides present their case and then let the chips fall where they may.

If we don't put a stop to this soon, we will have one of the worst Police states (provinces) in North America.

BTW, the Stunt Racing law is not working. That can easily be judged by the number of people still getting caught.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by YYC930
The above statement can be used for car dealers.

I know a few cops who are quite decent people one of whom I met at Mosport a few years ago.

You can't paint them all with the same brush.

Last edited by Brian 162; 07-06-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:54 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

justinsrx7,

you say officers should not have the ability to convict on the spot, we don't. The street racing , stunt driving law has an ADLS ( ADMINISTRATIVE Drivers Licence Suspension) suspension, which means we have no ability to show discression at the road side like before ( read as lowering a few km). Meaning we are mandated to lay paper on drivers in contravention of the law, much the same as we are mandated in domestic violence occurences. I feel that is where the mis-information is .....

Brad
Old 07-06-2008, 06:30 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

justinsrx7,

you say officers should not have the ability to convict on the spot, we don't. The street racing , stunt driving law has an ADLS ( ADMINISTRATIVE Drivers Licence Suspension) suspension, which means we have no ability to show discression at the road side like before ( read as lowering a few km). Meaning we are mandated to lay paper on drivers in contravention of the law, much the same as we are mandated in domestic violence occurences. I feel that is where the mis-information is .....

Brad
I understand that, but the problem is what if the officer made a mistake. All of the people that are getting off in court still have the impound fees, the towing fees, and the cost of going for a week without a car. I am not condoning speeding. I am meerly suggesting that we go to court and fight before we lose or vehicles. If convicted, take the car and the license. It is just backwards in my opinion and leaves the tax payers that pay for police services powerless.

And you know as well as I do that this is just a big money grab. People are still speeding and the police don't want that to end. If they did, they would just mandate governers in cars. That's a pretty easy and fool proof solution.

In any event, people that have to sit and stew about what is going to happen to them for the next 12 months while waiting for their trial day are much more likely to be cautious for the next year than those who get their punishment up front and just deal with it immediately. Kind of like capital punishment. I would think waiting on death row is far worse than the actual execution.

Just so you know, I know many officers and do not paint them with any kind of brush as others have done. They are just people with families and have both good times and bad like the rest of us. I also know they are just doing their jobs. It is not them I am upset with. It is those that flex their idiotic muscle in government that make stupid laws to disguise their money making schemes.

Last edited by justinsrx7; 07-06-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:55 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Well, first off I am not here to sell this law to anyone, or even try. What I do try to do is give what insight I can to the otherside of the fence. I do agree with you that the next step will be a government at some point down the road putting govenors on cars.. I for one don't want that. Ive been a car guy since before I went to high school. My dad was OPP as well..........he always said this kind of stuff was coming. As soon as I started my career I tried very hard to educate the younger generation at that time this was coming. Just remember its not the cop, its an ADMINISTRATIVE driver licence suspension. I will ask you or anyone out there...........how many mistakes do you ever make at work. If you do make mistakes, do you keep your job. Why does everyone think cops make silly mistakes. Just a question???

Anyway, see you trackside

Brad
Old 07-06-2008, 08:15 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Well, first off I am not here to sell this law to anyone, or even try. What I do try to do is give what insight I can to the otherside of the fence. I do agree with you that the next step will be a government at some point down the road putting govenors on cars.. I for one don't want that. Ive been a car guy since before I went to high school. My dad was OPP as well..........he always said this kind of stuff was coming. As soon as I started my career I tried very hard to educate the younger generation at that time this was coming. Just remember its not the cop, its an ADMINISTRATIVE driver licence suspension. I will ask you or anyone out there...........how many mistakes do you ever make at work. If you do make mistakes, do you keep your job. Why does everyone think cops make silly mistakes. Just a question???

Anyway, see you trackside

Brad
Brad,

Don't get me wrong here. I was merely saying "what if a cop makes a mistake" which is different from saying that I think cops make mistakes all the time. In my experience, I have not seen too many mistakes made by cops. Again, this is not an an arguement between me and law enforcement, but rather me and the law makers. Please keep doing what you do Brad because although we hate speeding tickets, when someone threatens us and you show up to help, we are truly grateful. I just think there are better ways and more important issues than taking advantage of ridiculous speed limits and silly money grab schemes.

Be safe out there!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:40 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Brad,

Please keep doing what you do Brad because although we hate speeding tickets, when someone threatens us and you show up to help, we are truly grateful.
Don't worry, there is something in me that makes me go west when everyone else is running east.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:57 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Son, you need a reality check here and now....

You guys are so full of S**T, he got the same punishment as everyone else.....he got his fair trial and his lawyer got him off.
go ahead an flame away......................BG
The average person would not have received this kind of break - they would have been convicted and thrown in jail.

While his toxicology test showed a reading of 180 -- almost twice the legal limit --
Justice Michael Harpur found Det. Daniel Ross, of 31 Division, not guilty of impaired driving and not guilty of driving over 80.
Drive safely and keep the shiny side up!

Quick Reply: Police Officer cleared of DUI