OT: Burlington fire trucks to follow speed limits

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Default OT: Burlington fire trucks to follow speed limits

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...gton-fire.html

The city of Burlington has started an experiment that it hopes will save lives.

Starting immediately, when responding to emergencies, Burlington firefighters must obey all posted speed limits.

The aim is to improve safety while maintaining response times.

Deputy fire chief Robin McDowell says slower fire trucks might seem counter-intuitive at first, but slower trucks are unlikely to collide with other vehicles on the road.

"We run into many occasions where our trucks are ... behind a vehicle and [the other vehicles on the road will] freeze right on the spot, they'll pull to the left, they'll pull to the right, sometimes they're just shocked at the speed at which they're approached and they're scared," he said.
I post this because I think that last paragraph speaks volumes about the intelligence of drivers out there on public roads. In light of the ad nauseum discussion about the police state on the highways regarding speeding, this is just more proof that the problem with vehicular safety has more to do with driver training (or appalling lack thereof) than anything else.

A firetruck (or any other emergency vehicle) approaching at a fast pace from behind should NEVER scare a driver. First off, it's not like these things are stealthy - they've got lights flashing and sirens blaring. If you don't notice either of those, there's mistake number one. Second off, if you did make f&*k up #1 and didn't notice them coming, you should be prepared for pretty much anything when you're driving, and should be able to react appropriately. If you fail both these tests, you're not ready to be on the road and your license should be suspended until you undergo further training.

Ok, sorry, this just really struck a nerve this morning. Rant over.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

this is a joke. what a Mickey Mouse country we live in. Maybe the police should not be allowed to speed when chasing someone who is speeding...seems only fair. Oh I forgot firetrucks save lives police issuing tickets for speeding grabs ca$h! what was I thinking?

Quick Reply: OT: Burlington fire trucks to follow speed limits