Notices

Great day at Mosport today

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:02 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Fire_n_ice
Tried various combinations at hump yesterday with some coaching also. Unfortunately, what works for me may not be applicable to you and/or fc-racer as I am only at 210 to 215 at the braking point....you guys are way faster. Coasting over hump and braking wasn't good as I felt as if I was really coasting....the 3.4L needs every inch of the straight to get to the low 200km range. What worked was foot on the gas to the first cone after hump, then braking. "Squirmies" in braking zone left after tire pressure reduction. Scott told me I could brake later if I was feeling "aggressive"...I wasn't and I won't!
Old 05-23-2008, 10:50 AM
fire_n_ice
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rideau
Fire_n_ice
Tried various combinations at hump yesterday with some coaching also. Unfortunately, what works for me may not be applicable to you and/or fc-racer as I am only at 210 to 215 at the braking point....you guys are way faster. Coasting over hump and braking wasn't good as I felt as if I was really coasting....the 3.4L needs every inch of the straight to get to the low 200km range. What worked was foot on the gas to the first cone after hump, then braking. "Squirmies" in braking zone left after tire pressure reduction. Scott told me I could brake later if I was feeling "aggressive"...I wasn't and I won't!
Thanks for the update! Sounds like you figured out a good way to approach it. I had a better braking response too with a little less tire pressure. They were getting up to 42 hot, so I let some out. I'm looking forward to getting back there to keep at it. But like you, I have no desire to "maximize" turn 8!

How was the rest of the day? Good group? No incidents I hope.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:48 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

The day was great. A good group, no incidents. John M was his usual voice of reason. A good thing as rain showers made the dry line VERY greasy at certain times of the day. It dried up nicely later in the pm and many departures made the track seemingly vacant. I spent time with Scott M in the right seat working on improving turn 4, 5 and then the braking zone before 8....a very good session and I learned a lot.
My goal was to be lapped only once by Shaun in his Koni Cup car....mission successful, however, results were a little rigged by having him go out just before me on each session!
See you at the next Apex Day...I'm looking forward to my ride.
Have a great weekend
Ian
Old 06-01-2008, 02:53 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice videos!

You've got an easy 8 or so seconds that you can pick up just by doing 2, 4 and 9 differently. You're driving well, and smoothly, but I was left with the feeling that you're also driving extremely cautiously. I do that too, and I think that you will find that when you better understand where the limits of adhesion are, that you will be able to drive equally cautiously, and with equal disclipline and restaint, just way faster.

I did not like your line through 2. I would be much tighter on the first apex, and I would be back on the gas as soon as you can see the second. Between the two, as the car drifts to the mid line of the track, pull in steering slightly so that you're tight on the second apex. USE THE INSIDE OF THE TRACK. I liked your exit from 2 because you had tons of road on the right, but if you want to go through there way faster, and be tight on the two apexs, you need to use the inside of the road on the second to ensure that you have plenty of road on exit.

Try to be much tighter in 9 too. There is a little trench that you can get into in you dive into it that will help you stay tight.

On 4, I think you were too tight at the top. Hold off before turning just a bit (until you cross the mid section of the track at the top of the hill just after the bridge) so that you better line up with the braking zone up into 5. That way you can hammer down the hill much longer without have to worry about steering into 5 as much.

just my $0.02. Watching the videos, I think its a very small amount of work to get you to 1:35s.

I agree with your thoughts about getting a disposable track car. Im driving a supercharged newish NSX and Im stuck at 1:35s because I feel that thats as fast as I want to go in a reasonably expensive street car (thats set up for the track) without a cage, etc.... It is much less fun trying to go out and lap "the same" than it is to try to find more time here and there. My friend picked up a fully done 951 and that has worked well for him.

Quick Reply: Great day at Mosport today