Notices

Which radar detector works best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Shemmer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which radar detector works best?

I'll be in Florida and was thinking of picking up a radar detector. Which one is best also is there such thing as "laser jammers" and do they work?
If I don't get one while I'm down there will any online dealers ship to Toronto?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

I've got a Valentine....I personally feel it's the best on the market. A buddy has a laser jammer, and he's said it has saved him on the one time he got shot at....
Old 05-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Shemmer
Pro

Originally Posted by Nine11
I've got a Valentine....I personally feel it's the best on the market. A buddy has a laser jammer, and he's said it has saved him on the one time he got shot at....
Sorry I've never heard of the Valentine who makes it and what model is it?

What happens with the jammer when you get shot? Do you turn it off right away or does it continously jam the gun by emitting it's own laser light?
Who makes it?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Shemmer
Pro

A friend of mine recommended the Belltronics STI Driver. Anybody have one of those?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Shemmer
Pro

I used to have a connection when I was in the car stereo industry for Belltronics which is made in Mississauga but since then I've lost that contact. Anybody have any connections? PM me.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Sorry. I have the ValentineOne (http://www.valentine1.com/) that has the arrows and bogey counter.

The jammer basically throws out a bunch of light to jam the radar gun as soon as it detects the police officer's laser. You can turn it off if you want, but my buddy leaves his on when he's driving. He slows down as soon as the jammer registers a hit...you don't need to be blowing by the PO at whatever illegal speed you're driving at.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

http://www.radartest.com/
www.radardetector.net

Check out the site....lots of reading and info.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:50 PM
85Shark
Advanced

Valentine hands down. Yet to get pinched, 75 hwy miles dally. going on three years. No tickets, but now the gas is killing me. http://www.valentine1.com
Old 05-13-2008, 11:52 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

From what I understand it's best to turn off the laser jammer as soon as you are 'painted'. Some laser guns can detect a jam. So slow down as soon as you get a laser signal, turn off the laser jammer quickly, and let the cop paint you at the speed limit. That is my understanding of the subject.

-matt
Old 05-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by old man neri
From what I understand it's best to turn off the laser jammer as soon as you are 'painted'. Some laser guns can detect a jam. So slow down as soon as you get a laser signal, turn off the laser jammer quickly, and let the cop paint you at the speed limit. That is my understanding of the subject.

-matt
Probably a good way to go about it....
Old 05-14-2008, 07:49 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Shemmer
A friend of mine recommended the Belltronics STI Driver. Anybody have one of those?
That's the ONLY one to use here in Ontario. It's the only one that is totally invisible to detector detectors like VG2 and Spector used by the OPP.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
That's the ONLY one to use here in Ontario. It's the only one that is totally invisible to detector detectors like VG2 and Spector used by the OPP.
Interesting. Any proof?
Old 05-14-2008, 12:48 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
I second that. Even the Valentine One can be detected, so if you are going to risk it, get the Bel.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

NO question re detectability,. Valentine works best but they can spot it. Friend of mine got nailed with one last year and it was confiscated. Bel is the only play. Best to buy in the US rather than ship.
There are very sophisticated jammer installations available in the US which are completely hidden but the cops can figure out you have on if you leave it on. If nailed turn it off fast. Try Radar Roy for info... http://www.radarbusters.com/
Old 05-14-2008, 02:41 PM
gteehan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a driver STI. Never been caught but I do get a rush of **** to the heart when I have a cop behind me since you still need to mount it on your dash. If they see it you're screwed. Also have a Blinder laser jammer FWIW.

Quick Reply: Which radar detector works best?