Notices

Hand Gun Ban In Canada

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Nape75'911T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to agree with many.......

If banning handguns and having a giant melt-down party would actually even make a dent in the problem, I would support it........but, like the street racing law.....it will not work, and I think that people who obey the law should be able to enjoy shooting sports and gun clubs.......I don't think any of those people are in question here. The public wants to see an answer......and Miller needs to actually perform a task that looks decent to the people, because God knows he hasn't accomplished much.......

How about this.

You commit a crime with a gun, whether you fire it or not, and you go to prison for 10 years, no parole, no second chance, nothing. You use it, you go for 20...no excuses, no young offender bulls$#t, you are GONE, off the street, and out of society......you kill someone.....life. Actual life....not parole after 15, or community service, or whatever the excuse currently is for life......you die in jail.

Why is the concept so hard to sell to legislators......why do we continue to let kids get killed and why do we allow police to be at more and more risk every year as gun use in crime escalates?

Not goofing on you kilrgt......I just have an issue with giving away the rights and freedoms of the many to try and appease the few, when those who should be targeted will still behave the same way, because there are no significant consequences.....it's the outcome of the action that needs to be changed, the candy will always be available, and banning candy seems a very poor way to try and accomplish the goal, although it looks great on the news.

BTW, I am neither a gun owner, or an NRA member and I am not a 'gun nut'....it will not change my life in any way if they ban all guns, rifles, etc......but it also won't change a thing on the street IMHO.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 04-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reluctant to get involved, but drawn to the bait...

The continent is, indeed, awash in guns, and we aren't going to get all the worms back in the can. But would you rather have someone declared a criminal before or after they use the gun?
Old 04-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Nape75'911T
Instructor

Default I don't disagree with the logic Bill.....

and I would support it if it would work....but with the millions and millions of guns out there....and the ease with which they move across the border....I don't think a ban will do anything to keep those from wanting them from getting them....they are not purchasing them legally now for the most part.....I just think that if there is an actual punishment, it may make a difference.

After all, drugs are illegal.....but the supply goes on.

Difficult topic, I agree.....and by no means am I thinking I'm right, but I have to wonder what the deterrent will be. They will certainly become more expensive, but no harder to acquire I think.......

OK, enough guns, it's the last sunny evening for a few, so I will ponder the question while cruising in the 930.........
Old 04-10-2008, 05:23 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Guns are our protection against liberals.

Ban liberalism and I'll go along with a gun ban. But until then.........

Hitler banned private ownership of guns BTW........a heavily armed society has a better chance of survival against tyranny than an unarmed one does......

You won't find conservatives running around trying to disarm you.

Food for thought for those of you willing to eat.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:53 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill N
But would you rather have someone declared a criminal before or after they use the gun?
Of course. But this is exactly the situation in Canada now. Obtaining a handgun permit is difficult and there are very strict rules on how to store and transport them. Which means that anyone who is even remotely intending to use the gun for an illegal purpose is going to be arrested anyway. They will not be traveling from the gun club shooting range to home with their legally registered handgun.

The people who commit crimes with guns in Canada are already in violation of the criminal code when they carry a gun. No new legislation needed.

How come politicians are not familiar with the law?
Old 04-10-2008, 06:56 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YYC930
Guns are our protection against liberals.

Ban liberalism and I'll go along with a gun ban. But until then.........

Hitler banned private ownership of guns BTW........a heavily armed society has a better chance of survival against tyranny than an unarmed one does......

You won't find conservatives running around trying to disarm you.

Food for thought for those of you willing to eat.
I hope you are joking. Because that's funny what you just said.

How about instead of everyone being armed with tactical nukes we just pay attention to whom we vote for and stay informed about thing going on around us? That would be more effective that having Waco style battles with the ATF, no?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:28 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I think our Americans friends on OT might find it amusing that I was connected with a gun loving crowd. The petition should be directed against criminals possessing guns. Oh wait ! The over riding issue is that illegal possession of a handgun did not warrant a significant penalty. The recent ammendment to the Criminal Code just changed that so in the future some very stiff penalties are going to get handed down. It will however take some time for the idiots to discover the new reality and thats what they are, idiots. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink. Unfortunately many of the tough guys see jail as badge of honour and the baggy pants down hanging down the *** is emulation of that honour. The problem has taken quite a few years to fester and methinks it will take a decade to resolve.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:02 PM
PPo
Drifting

I feel bad for the law abiding gun owners being caught up in this. Even if we remove every single gun in Canada you can't remove the intent for somebody to want kill or harm somebody else.

Instead of banning hand guns, the penalty for carrying an unlawful firearm should be emmense and immediate. Not a complete deterent for many misguided youth, but my belief is that the justice system and the law is not backing up the Police Officers enough when they find somebody carrying an illegal firearm.

"Oh, you poor little guy, you have an illegal gun? Let me take that away from you for now and provide you with some counselling so you can make a better choice in the future. Would you like some candy?"

Should be:

"Here is your jail cell, see you in a few years. No parol, that gun was illegal. First offence? Sorry, the law is clear on this."
Old 04-11-2008, 10:32 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
is BradG around this thread somewhere? I'd like his view on this since he probably has to deal with firearms every day (twice a day if he's at a scarboro division?)
Don't even get me going......but the short version, I have no concerns if people who obey the law have firearms. They usually answer truthfully if asked about it and have a paper trail to prove it etc. Its the ones that don't obey the law I will always have to worry about....no paper trail anyway

BG
Old 04-11-2008, 11:05 PM
bill r toronto
Advanced

Default what the @$#%$

Until Porsche starts manufactuing guns ,why is this being discussed here ?
Old 04-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

the canadian section is sort of an all purpose playground for canadian topics of discussion....its like the CBC of the porsche world
Old 04-12-2008, 01:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,139 Likes on 814 Posts

...yeah let's not do anything because it won't make a difference anyway.... what a bunch a Leaders .....
Old 04-14-2008, 10:31 PM
tgt40
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well banning things rarely works and even more rarely brings security and safety to a populace. In fact, I can't think of one example right now that's held up as a beacon of societal improvement. Let's see, we've tried banning liquor, pit bulls (are Shepherds and Rotties next?) and 50 cent. So okay maybe the 50 cent ban isn't so bad...

Careful of the ban. They'll come over our cars next after all, nobody "needs" them....

Oh, by the way, just in case anyone is interested:

http://www.firearmsource.ca/petition/

Quick Reply: Hand Gun Ban In Canada