Notices

Hand Gun Ban In Canada

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hand Gun Ban In Canada

If you agree with it or not, Here is the petition that Toronto Mayer David Miller.

http://www.toronto.ca:80/handgunban/index.htm

I agree on allot of points, I see no valid reason for owning a handgun other then for murder. Again I don't care if some disagree.I thought I would post it here for those that want to help the mayor get this passed
Old 04-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from my cold dead hands dude...

criminals will always get guns. i think its only fair that i be allowed to keep one to keep them out. Police response time in my area is good, but i still need 2 hold out for 3-4 minutes till they get here. anything bigger than a racoon sneaking in thru a 2nd story window is getting a mag unloaded into it. a rifle makes a poor self defense weapon (unless it's a light, compact SMG like an MP5 which you can use in the tight confines of a house...but then again an SMG isn't a rifle now...).
Old 04-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

A handgun ban won't prevent illegal handguns from the US making their way into the hands of the criminals.

Put the criminals away for long periods of time working hard, grueling labor (take away their TV, satellite, needle programs etc.)

Return some justice to the justice system.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Put the criminals away for long periods of time working hard, grueling labor (take away their TV, satellite, needle programs etc.)
we need to build a gulag somewhere on bathurst island and leave em up there.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
we need to build a gulag somewhere on bathurst island and leave em up there.
Baffin Island would be even better.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

heck..i say we just put em on an ice floe and let them float out to international waters.
i could use the range practice with an HS50

seriously tho...handguns in canada are just about banned already. have to be a member of a shooting club to get one. have to have 2 permits to have one. can only transport it to and from the range for use. cant hunt with em (well..i guess you really can't anyhow...but non the less). anyone who legally owns one, and stores it in their home properly, shouldn't have a problem with having it stolen, nore would the police have a hard time tracking it if a crime was committed by the owner (since it is registered and serial#ed).

is BradG around this thread somewhere? I'd like his view on this since he probably has to deal with firearms every day (twice a day if he's at a scarboro division?)
Old 04-09-2008, 11:35 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kilrgt
Again I don't care if some disagree.
Of course. Just because someone may know a lot more about the situation than you doesn't mean you should try to understand why they may have such an opinion.

Do you have a Firearms acquisition permit? Do you know what it takes to get one for restricted firearms (any non-prohibited firearm)? Do you know that most "interesting" firearms (both rifles and handguns) are prohibited? How is removing the handful of legal handguns from law abiding Canadians going to stop the "gangstas" from getting them from the US? Do you know that some people enjoy shooting guns at a range as a hobby or even a sport? Is that an illegitimate sport? Certainly doesn't serve a productive purpose. So is my driving on a race track. All I accomplish is burn a huge amount of gasoline and kill a million bugs. Some may say that the only thing I accomplish is become a better street racer. Same as being good at the shooting range makes me a good killer. Maybe the all wise government should ban that too.

Why do people even listen to idiot politicians making stupid initiatives like that?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:08 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Millers ban on handguns sounds great and even if it was possible to enact such a thing it wouldn't make much difference. Criminals and gangsters to my knowledge already illegally possess handguns so a further ban won't do much there. The newly minted federal laws are a step in the right direction and will give police and the courts better tools to deal with the problem, although I worry about bad guys coming out of jail badder than when they went in. Bad guys own guns because they can't, won't go to Police to resolve issues and therein lies the underlying root of the problem. The unregulated phara industry is major contributing factor as practitioners are targets for thieves and both parties arm themselves for protection. Add to that mix a social stratification of ethnic groups and you end up with turf battles. A couple of youths from Somali neighbourhood happen on to a Jamaican hood and that's seen as a provocation and rather than discussing the slight a gun is pulled and shots are fired. Almost immediately Somali toughs seeking revenge ambush a Jamaican, who may have nothing to do with the earlier act.
The solution; 5000 cops doing a serious housecleaning all at once and anyone turning in a gun gets ammnesty for possession. All bad actors guilty of crimes using a firearm get a ticket to Ellesmere Island along with tent and a sleeping bag for an initial sentence of 90 days. After completion of the time, and if and when they return then a re-offence gets them 6 months on Ellesmere commencing in October. That should solve the problem.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:07 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Again This was not a debate...I don't care what you think, its your right to think what you want.

Originally Posted by amaist
Of course. Just because someone may know a lot more about the situation than you doesn't mean you should try to understand why they may have such an opinion.

Do you have a Firearms acquisition permit? Do you know what it takes to get one for restricted firearms (any non-prohibited firearm)? Do you know that most "interesting" firearms (both rifles and handguns) are prohibited? How is removing the handful of legal handguns from law abiding Canadians going to stop the "gangstas" from getting them from the US? Do you know that some people enjoy shooting guns at a range as a hobby or even a sport? Is that an illegitimate sport? Certainly doesn't serve a productive purpose. So is my driving on a race track. All I accomplish is burn a huge amount of gasoline and kill a million bugs. Some may say that the only thing I accomplish is become a better street racer. Same as being good at the shooting range makes me a good killer. Maybe the all wise government should ban that too.

Why do people even listen to idiot politicians making stupid initiatives like that?
Old 04-10-2008, 01:15 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kilrgt
Again This was not a debate...I don't care what you think, its your right to think what you want.
So you posted this hoping people would join the petition based on an emotional decision rather than a reasoned decision?

Chris is on the right track. Something needs to be done to the "criminal justice system" because there really isn't much "justice" there. Nor is there any punishment. It's more like a "criminal complaints system". Someone does something that contravenes the criminal code (theft, rape, murder, etc) and a complaint is lodged.

Like any giant, faceless corporation, often nothing is done about the matter.

Yeah, I'm bitter.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:29 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

No
I posted this not hoping you would sign, I posted if one wanted to. Lets be honest here the criminal justice system here is a joke. I don't care if the " gangstas kill each other, in fact i hope they do, it saves time and money.I said I agree on some points and if the law makers in this county were harder on the punks using them, the ban wouldn't be necessary. This ban is really a political move, but it may make laws harder on those breaking them.I have no need for a license , because I have no need for a hand gun.The only reason I need a hand gun is to murder someone, and lets be honest do you think I would care about being legal .Its your right to think how you wish,I am not saying your right or wrong. I was not advocating for the ban, but making the site available to those that are actually concerned with the situation. I really didn't want a debate. I did not post this and said " Please sign this" so all you gun lovers stop breaking my *****.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:52 AM
BrandX
Instructor

We don't need to ban handguns (and we won't accomplish anything useful if we do), we need to ban bad guys.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:11 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Did any of the recent shootings happen with licensed handguns? How many stolen licensed guns have been used in crimes recently? Until we know those numbers advocating a handgun bad is stupid.
If it turns out that legally licensed guns or those that were legal until stolen were used in significant numbers then maybe we should consider some measures. If that is not the case then how is it going to help?

Politicians love to appear like they are trying to do something about a problem. Often it means doing some sort of a show about how they are working to correct the problem without actually doing anything effective.

I propose a ban on idiot politicians and people who believe them. That will not really solve all our problems. The issues we are dealing with are complex and nuanced and have no simple solution. But at least we don't have to do useless **** in the meantime.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:54 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

As Chris Rock said: "ban the bullets!...or make them each $1000...".
Old 04-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all about keeping guns outta the hands of kids.

Quick Reply: Hand Gun Ban In Canada