Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
All is well here with Sunoco 94.
More Octane= more Horse Power.
John
john,
its not really 100% accurate. Our ECU's don't have 94 octane timing in them, they will max out with 91. Octane is an indication of how easily the fuel burns. 94 octane is harder to burn than 91. You want to put in gas with just enough octane not to knock but not anything more (harder to burn). You're probably not loosing power by using 94...but its just burning extra bucks.

Turbo cars, or race cars with more revs, more advanced timing or more boost pressure (a.k.a a ****load of extra air being rammed in) will need gas that won't detonate (knock) so they would benifit from 94, 100, 104, etc...
Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Nape75'911T
Instructor

Default Ethanol content.....

Hi All,

Just to dispell some rumours and pass along some info. I work in the petroleum field.

You are right - Sunoco - Ethanol is in all grades, has been for a long time.

All others - Regular is Ethanol, but does not exceed 10%. Midgrade is blended with premium, and the premium DOES NOT contain ethanol at all sites other than Sunoco sites.
Shell, Esso, P Can are all non-ethanol premium.
You can expect that will change likely in the next couple of years. The govn't mandated use of ethanol, but there is not enough supply to do all grades throughout the province. So, most of the GTA is ethanol, but many outlying areas are not.....ie. Sites supplied from Nanticoke, Sarnia, Ottawa.....are all conventional regular still....I will let you know if and when it changes....

My car runs just fine on Ultra 94, or Shell 91.....whichever is more convenient....oh yeah, I don't have a cat.....or ANY OTHER POLLUTION stuff.....the turbo charged ANTI-Prius.....lol....sorry, got carried away there.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ does ur car shoot flames out the tailpipes? i wish the 996 would do that...its awsome to see
Old 03-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Nape75'911T
Instructor

Default I don't think so Omar....

It may have been possible when I had the RarlyL8 pipe on there last summer, but I have a Fabspeed exhaust on there now, and I don't think it will shoot flames....usually the 930's that shoot flames have zork tubes, and no can of any kind on there.....it's cool though...I agree!!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:52 PM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nape75'911T
Just to dispell some rumours and pass along some info. I work in the petroleum field...
Thanks for the info! I wonder if people will switch back to Sunoco 94 when the other pumps start using ethanol in premium.

I plan on giving Shell 91 another try. If the problem start rears its ugly head again, I'll be switching back to Sunoco 94 in a hurry...
Old 04-01-2008, 01:01 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

i think i am going to Switch to Esso 91, i like Esso 91, i have been using it in my Boosted and Stock 1.8T's for 6 years now... Should i switch to Esso 91 for my P-Car? Save a few bucks and get more Point's...
Old 04-01-2008, 06:09 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
john,
its not really 100% accurate. Our ECU's don't have 94 octane timing in them, they will max out with 91. Octane is an indication of how easily the fuel burns. 94 octane is harder to burn than 91. You want to put in gas with just enough octane not to knock but not anything more (harder to burn). You're probably not loosing power by using 94...but its just burning extra bucks.

Turbo cars, or race cars with more revs, more advanced timing or more boost pressure (a.k.a a ****load of extra air being rammed in) will need gas that won't detonate (knock) so they would benifit from 94, 100, 104, etc...
Omar
I am sure the Timing works perfectly well up to 98 Octane, and beyond,
which is what my cousin uses in his C4 in Europe - the 996 will not waste the extra Octane power.
Octane is partly defined as explosion Power. A car running on a higher Octane fuel
will produce higher amounts of Horse Power- racing fuels at 100 Octane show that.

If you don't get more Horse Power with higher Octane fuel, other conditions are
not equal.

As for another benefit besides more HP, higher Octane fuel should give you a slightly better mileage.
John
Old 04-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Glenn
Racer

Hi Ryehigh - yeah I got out last Sunday for a little sprint. Nice dry roads. Where did you end up getting your hood done? I had a mishap with a fluorescent fixture over the winter (the cover fell) right onto my newly painted front fender (#@%******). Needs to be touched up and probably massaged a bit.

WE should plan on making the trip up on the 13th to Shoeless Joes. Anyone else want to meet up in Pickering for the drive up?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:05 AM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Hi Glenn, I had the work done at Michelanglo's on Eastern Ave. They were recommended by DFC.
Michael is a good guy to deal with and I very happy with the end result. But of course I have a new stone chip (small one) that I hope he can touch up.

Sure getting together in Pickering and running up to Shoeless Joes is a plan.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
Omar
I am sure the Timing works perfectly well up to 98 Octane, and beyond,
which is what my cousin uses in his C4 in Europe - the 996 will not waste the extra Octane power.
Octane is partly defined as explosion Power. A car running on a higher Octane fuel
will produce higher amounts of Horse Power- racing fuels at 100 Octane show that.

If you don't get more Horse Power with higher Octane fuel, other conditions are
not equal.

As for another benefit besides more HP, higher Octane fuel should give you a slightly better mileage.
John
From this link ---> http://www.alekpochowski.com/d/ethanol.doc

Now there are a number of variables that confound accurate fuel economy measurements. Vehicle technology, state of tune, ambient temperatures, head winds, road grade, tire pressure, use of air conditioners, and numerous other factors have an impact on fuel economy. Even whether or not the car is level each time you fill it can distort fuel economy readings by several percentage points. Does using ethanol mean you have to burn more fuel because of a lower amount of energy?

A gallon of gasoline from California has around 111, 500 BTU's. A gallon of E10 has 104,324 BTU’s. That is, E10 has 6.43% less energy in it than a gallon of 100% petroleum gasoline. Will a 6.43% decrease be noticed? Tests and studies suggest that fuel economy may decrease by approximately 2% in fuel-injected cars.

Cars averaging 30 miles per gallon (MPG) on the highway would average 29.4 MPG using an ethanol-blended fuel. Not enough to be detected by the average driver. Now the use of ethanol fuel may decrease mileage slightly just keep in mind that the use of ethanol fuel contributes to a cleaner environment, stronger economy, and increased energy security.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Nape75'911T
Instructor

Default Jaak.....I have to agree....

While the car seems to run just fine on Ultra 94, I have noticed that I get slightly better mileage using Shell 91......I like the caustic cleaning properties of the Ethanol though (it absolutley scours your fuel system clean)....so I still run it to keep her clean.....but not for economy....

Cheers,

Mark
Old 04-01-2008, 12:44 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
From this link ---> http://www.alekpochowski.com/d/ethanol.doc

Now there are a number of variables that confound accurate fuel economy measurements. Vehicle technology, state of tune, ambient temperatures, head winds, road grade, tire pressure, use of air conditioners, and numerous other factors have an impact on fuel economy. Even whether or not the car is level each time you fill it can distort fuel economy readings by several percentage points. Does using ethanol mean you have to burn more fuel because of a lower amount of energy?

A gallon of gasoline from California has around 111, 500 BTU's. A gallon of E10 has 104,324 BTU’s. That is, E10 has 6.43% less energy in it than a gallon of 100% petroleum gasoline. Will a 6.43% decrease be noticed? Tests and studies suggest that fuel economy may decrease by approximately 2% in fuel-injected cars.

Cars averaging 30 miles per gallon (MPG) on the highway would average 29.4 MPG using an ethanol-blended fuel. Not enough to be detected by the average driver. Now the use of ethanol fuel may decrease mileage slightly just keep in mind that the use of ethanol fuel contributes to a cleaner environment, stronger economy, and increased energy security.
So at the pumps we pay the same for gas that contains 10% ethanol as we would for gas that doesn't and our consumption goes up. Kinda like drinking watered down beer. No point in drinking it.

Being cleaner is not all that great. It may reduce the particles in the air but those particles actually filter out the Sun's UV rays that hit us. Our environment is all ready fubar. So having less particles in the air actually will make the Sun stronger and that does increase the earth temperature.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Talking

Isin't Gov spin wonderfull ........................
Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

While the car seems to run just fine on Ultra 94, I have noticed that I get slightly better mileage using Shell 91......I like the caustic cleaning properties of the Ethanol though (it absolutley scours your fuel system clean)....so I still run it to keep her clean.....but not for economy....

Cheers,

Mark
Only time I switched to 94 is when it's time for the drive clean test. I DO notice a lack of performance and after that test is over and the tank drops to 1/4 ... I fill up on 91.

Now ... the 951 is now exempt from drive clean

I don't need to use 94 (plus the extra cost) and use 91 in the P-Car once I get it out.

The DD requires 87 (and I found a Petro Canada who "seems" to pump 91 in the 87 pumps according to my former Land Rover which needed 91 ... and was a dog on 87.).
Old 04-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

While the car seems to run just fine on Ultra 94, I have noticed that I get slightly better mileage using Shell 91......I like the caustic cleaning properties of the Ethanol though (it absolutley scours your fuel system clean)....so I still run it to keep her clean.....but not for economy...
IMO when both my German cars were designed in Germany ethanol was never part of the design considerations... hell the Germans don't even know what ethanol is... so I stay away from using gas with ethanol. When the phrase "caustic cleaning properties" is brought up I can picture the rubber in the fuel system degrading, I personally don't need more maintenance bills if I can help it.

Shell 91 works for me.

Quick Reply: Gas in Toronto