Cool, thanks for the tip

Jim
Old 03-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Bridgestone Fusions on my ride ... similar to the SO-2's at a good price.

http://www.thefuzionzone.com/
Old 03-14-2008, 11:59 AM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a price comparison, I recently bought a set of Kumho Ecsta SPTs for my Boxster (size 225/40-18 & 265/35-18s) from Tire Rack and the price inc. tax shipping, duty, and brokerage was $788. USD.
Here is a break down
Tires - $528
PST - $ 56.22
GST - $28.75
Duty - $36.96
Brokerage - $30
Shipping - $107.75
Total - $778
I ordered these in Feb, while I was on vacation in Florida and was able to declare them as a tax/duty free item on my return. So I should be getting the tax and duty back.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Shemmer
Pro

Originally Posted by old man neri
tirerack.com?

Get them delivered to a installation centre in the states, drive down, get them installed, drive back, declare them, pay a bit of tax, go home happy.
I compared prices with Tirerack and a canadian dealer with almost $1000 difference by going to Niagara to have them installed. When I spoke to Tirerack they told me that because they don't have a location in Buffalo they will not charge any taxes. I would be able to drive across the border and have them installed. The tires I'm looking at are not made in the US so there will be duties if I declare them. Do I need to declare them? Does the border have any way of knowing I have new tires? Any experiences?
Old 03-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Shemmer
Pro

BTW, anybody have any recommendations on what I should put on my 930? Tirerack suggests Michelin Pilot Sport Ribs or Pirelli PZero Rosso's No track use just street. What do you guys think?
Old 03-15-2008, 11:57 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Shemmer
them. Do I need to declare them? Does the border have any way of knowing I have new tires? Any experiences?
I would, I don't think it is that much. If you drive across and come back an hour later and declare nothing I am pretty sure the customs guy will know something is up. And yes there is a way of telling if you have brand new tires, they still have all the 'hairs' on them from the mould and a few paint marks.

Why risk it, you have already saved a bundle, the last thing you want is to have to face charges or having your vehicle impounded. Just my 0.02
Old 03-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

I would, I don't think it is that much. If you drive across and come back an hour later and declare nothing I am pretty sure the customs guy will know something is up. And yes there is a way of telling if you have brand new tires, they still have all the 'hairs' on them from the mould and a few paint marks.

Why risk it, you have already saved a bundle, the last thing you want is to have to face charges or having your vehicle impounded. Just my 0.02
might as well just buy a carton of smokes and declare those.

"i wanted to get some real marlboros..not the pansy crap they sell in tarannah"

smokers have strange habits, that should satisfy mr. customs guy
Old 03-16-2008, 12:19 PM
PPo
Drifting

If you drive across and come back an hour later and declare nothing I am pretty sure the customs guy will know something is up. And yes there is a way of telling if you have brand new tires, they still have all the 'hairs' on them from the mould and a few paint marks.
An aquitance used to work for Canada Custom at one of the Buffalo crossings. His point to me is that they know that every car coming back into Canada has more to claim then they actually admit to. The custom agents are more interested in looking for signs that you are bringing something back that is illegal. He claims the biggest issue is that some people are so bad at lying that they pull over people with $100 in undeclared merchandise which ends up just wasting the resources they have.

His advice was to be reasonable... and to be somewhat honest. If you get tires mounted in the States and are driving back, go shopping to an outlet and buy some jeans or something. If asked why so little, just say that you never saw anything else you liked at the stores and you where more interested in just taking the car for a drive. If you bring your wife/GF and she claims nothing, they know you are lying!!

A few months ago I bought a rug valued over $2500 from a dealer in Buffalo (My wife is crazy by the way). With the wife and baby, we stopped at a nearby outlet bought some groceries and baby stuff. The custom agent asked about the rug, and I told them we picked it up from a friend in Buffalo. The rug dealer was also ready to accept the call and vouch that we picked it up for free. The interesting thing was our shopping was over the daily limit, we addmitted to it and they still let us go with no hassle....

Your mileage may vary,
P

Quick Reply: Yet another tire thread.