Notices

The truth about 9apart

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:42 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The truth about 9apart

I have seen drips and drabs from people on this forum regarding the sevice and pricing from 9apart. So far it has been pretty negative. I drove out there with Rallyguy before Christmas on a Saturday morning only to find they were closed that day which was a bit of a **** off. I would be interested in hearing about anybody's real life experience dealing with these guys. It would be nice to have a reliable place so close to home to get used parts from.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:17 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

where are they , I have never even heard of them
Old 02-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's my story. I needed to replace a leaky fuel pump, so I called Frank, and he said he had one in stock. I explained I needed on for a carbureted car, not MFI, because the pressure is different (IIRC 5psi vs. 20psi). So I drive up there (back when he was off hwy 7 it was about an hour drive from here), pick it up ($200 cash, fair price), get it home, install it, try to start the car. Gas starts pouring out the bottom of my engine! WTF?! I pull the pump, check the part #, and sure enough it's an MFI pump (long thread on Pelican about this confirming the part #). That explains why the gas was pouring out - it was being forced through the cylinders far too fast to ignite (due to the psi difference).

So I call Frank and explain this to him. He swears it came of another 72 T with carbs. I explained the part #, he said it must be wrong, the donor car had carbs. I said then it must have had a pressure regulator. He swears it didn't. Ok, whatever. He agrees to exchange it for another pump he has there. So I drive up there again and he hands me some weird looking thing, but at least it's got en electrical plug and a fuel inlet and outlet. I get it home, hook up the fuel lines then go to hook up the juice - no clue how to do this. So I do some research online - it's an American made Carter pump, brand new $40 (remember this was exchanged for my $200 pump). It also comes with a wiring harness and mounting bracket, both of which I need, because the wiring plug on the 911 is completely different, and it won't come close to fitting in the stock bracket. I call Frank and he says none of that was with the donor car, or if it was, it's been tossed. To top it off, he gets pissed off at me, like I'm jerking him around or something. 4 hours driving and $200 and I'm left with a POS aftermarket pump. I attempt to put it together and fabricate a wiring harness. I end up getting the car running, then on the test drive it all fell apart a few kms from my house. I managed to get it back together well enough to limp home, then said fvck this, drove it to Mantis and had them install a proper pump, also reroute to the front suspension pan (which Porsche did a few years later themselves).

So that's my story. I'm through with Porschapart/Nineapart, whatever. I've heard MUCH worse stories from other people. Apparently he really has a temper.

edit: btw, Mantis's price, pump and labour included, was about $230.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:28 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by theiceman
where are they , I have never even heard of them
They are in Tottenham, about 20 minutes north west of HWY 400 and HWY 9. They are a local Porsche dismantler company.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

My experience was OK. I needed a driver's side window. The first one he gave me was very dirty and I was in a rush, so I just took it as it. When I cleaned it at home, I saw that it had some significant scratches. I called Frank up and he was willing to exchange. I felt I learned a lesson to take the time to inspect properly the item before leaving, and did not really blame Frank, although I think a more diligent person may have cleaned and checked the part for the customer. I had called ahead, and paid top dollar.

Other than that, I just find him on the expensive side. He does have a large shop though, and many cars being dismantled, so I guess he is doing an OK trade.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nineapart.com

My experience has been almost entirely positive. The sense I get is that he's a nice but very overworked guy -- despite having a huge warehouse full of stuff, it's basically a one-man operation (plus his wife is there too). As a result mistakes do happen, it's important to be certain that the part you get is the part you want.

Also important is to CALL AHEAD, to make sure he's open when you plan on going, and that he's got the part, and get him to name a price. Keep in mind too that there's room for negotiation.

I've bought lots of stuff from him and never had a problem. My only real problem is the fact that for some of the bigger ticket items, he gets truly insane with pricing. You'd think he'd just price himself out of the market, but I've been there when he was preparing shipments all over the world.

So basically know how he works and adjust to it, you'll be fine. And try to restrict your purchases to smaller, cheaper items. And don't rely on him too much; the best source for parts I've found so far is other posters on Rennlist (I may have found a tranny for my 944, paying 1/4 what Frank was asking).
Old 02-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Oh and by the way, a few months ago Frank told me he was going to start selling used Porsches, but I don't think he's started doing that yet.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

In my case, I did call ahead, verified the exact part, car, requirement, everything except the actual part #. I don't so much mind someone making a mistake, everyone does. It's how the mistake gets fixed that matters, and in Frank's case, he did a ****-poor job of fixing the mistake, then got frustrated with ME!
Old 02-11-2008, 01:58 PM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he was selling off Ebay they would have banned him by now.
Not impressed.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:53 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

Nice enough guy.
I bought a control arm from him and as I'm looking it over he tells me he gets a kick out of us guys checking parts over that go on cars that are not as good as the parts. I'm like WTF buddy. After cleaning up his P of S part I find a crack and take it back. I also bring my old when just to point out it's bent, but it's mint.
Pricey, but nice enough guy.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:37 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

My experiences have all been positive. I needed a bunch of small stuff and he gave me a bag that I dropped various clips and stuff in and price was more than fair. I needed a coil and got one for 20 bucks. I bought a new radiator and it was reasonable and quick service.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:54 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

are they the old Porscheapart ?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:04 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by theiceman
are they the old Porscheapart ?
yes!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

ah .. say no more .. i have never dealt with them but heard they are VERY expensive
Old 02-12-2008, 05:56 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Well....I just bought a glass rear windshield (without a defogger) and a chrome door frame for $550 + GST and shipping........saved $2500 from new.

Quick Reply: The truth about 9apart