Notices

Did I get the right Jack for Christmas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:57 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
I have owned al kinds of Jacks including 2 michelin jacks. Both ,ichelin jacks dies in the first year so i fortunately got my money back , i think they are no better quality than any other. i had a regular canadian tire steel jack for 10 years and was great. So i got another with a carry handle in the middle. works great , and If I can't quite get the lift I put a block of wood in. I use jacks a LOT an still swear y the old Canadian tire steel baby... stays in my garage so i never carry it anyway.
Well, it sounds like I should just keep the Canadian Tire one my wife bought me. It has 2 1/4 lifting capacity, and the handle in the middle, Must be the same one you have. Heck, for $44.00 including 2 jack stands, if it breaks, I can just get a new one.

Last edited by justinsrx7; 01-04-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:35 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

I've used the canadian tire and michilean jacks, never had a problem with both. Danny, I am very sorry to hear about your experiance, glad no one was hurt. I, personally, have never had a problem with my michilean jack.

You know, it would surprise me if the canadian tire, michilean, princess auto, snap on,..etc. jacks were all made in the same plant in China, just different badging.

PS, Danny's experiance is a reminder to all of us as to why to use jack stands and then on top of that shove the rims under your car while working under it. You really don't want, 'here lies a person to cheap to buy jackstands' on your grave stone. Be safe!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Sputter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own the 3 1/2 ton michelin jack for height. (to stick my stands under). I have a racing jack (Big Red) for when height isn't needed (with stands), also the the racing jack allows me to get the car up enough to get the big jack under. :-) I find it's easier than farting around with wood (or whatever) to get the clearance.
I would never rely on floorjack alone, not even to work on the wheels. Any floorjack instructions i've ever read says the same btw. A few extra mins taken outwieghts what "could" happen. my 2cents lol
Old 01-03-2008, 09:50 AM
adelaide
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indeed, the Michelin jacks and the 'red' Canadian Tire Motomaster jacks are made in the same factory in southern China. Believe it or not, this same plant manufactures for high end lift equipment like Lincoln and Snap-on.....

I'm quite surprised the Michelin jack 'folded'. Jacks by law are required to lift 2.5 times their rated capacity as a safety standard (ANSI). You may have just gotten a really bad example, or, it may have been previously damaged and returned, you never know.

An aluminum jack by defniition is lighter, but its no stronger. I wouldnt' be suprised the way aluminum costs have risen these past few years if the materials have been compromised and the aluminum they are using is not the proper spec.

As mentioned numerous times here, jacks are NOT meant for supporting load, only lifting it. JACK STANDS, ALWAYS!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Michelin Jack, a similar sized steel version and a smaller CT trolly jack. I've never had trouble with any of them - lifting both the 944 and the rally cars. They DO need to be bled every few years - but that restores them to perfect condition. One nice thing about the Michelin jack is the "quick-rise" feature where the arm lifts VERY quickly if its unloaded - saving time and arm pumps.

Ironically - I use the smaller CT steel trolly jack the most - due to it's small size and maneuvoerability.

RK

PS. I second the motion - block the (unlifted) wheels and use jack stands - always!
Old 01-03-2008, 11:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,148 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Well, it sounds like I should just keep the Canadian Tire one my wife bouth me. It has 2 1/4 lifting capacity, and the handle in the middle, Must be the same one you have. Heck, for $44.00 including 2 jack stands, if it breaks, I can just get a new one.
That is EXACTLY my thinking .. after a couple of years it owes me nothing. problem is , it just won't die . PS the failure mode for both Michelin jacks was the same. Oil came spewing out past the seal when trying to jack up on a cold day. That sucked....

oh and since I do a LOt of jacking I thought I would throw out this tip . i always drag the jack around with the handle in it and only pick it up when I am well away from the car .... even with the handle in the middle. one miscue and you have a nice dent...
Old 01-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
That is EXACTLY my thinking .. after a couple of years it owes me nothing. problem is , it just won't die . PS the failure mode for both Michelin jacks was the same. Oil came spewing out past the seal when trying to jack up on a cold day. That sucked....

oh and since I do a LOt of jacking I thought I would throw out this tip . i always drag the jack around with the handle in it and only pick it up when I am well away from the car .... even with the handle in the middle. one miscue and you have a nice dent...
You can wrap the handle with foam... .
Old 01-04-2008, 09:58 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Well, it sounds like I should just keep the Canadian Tire one my wife bouth me. It has 2 1/4 lifting capacity, and the handle in the middle, Must be the same one you have. Heck, for $44.00 including 2 jack stands, if it breaks, I can just get a new one.
I'm on my third Princess Auto aluminum jack. The first one blew in the first month when I tried to left the side of my Volvo wagon, the second lasted almost 2 years but never lifted anything heavier than my 2700lb 911. I just brought them back and they gave me a new one. Third one has 1/2 a season on it. I use it at the track so it gets a fair bit of use.

I also have 2 jacks (and a steel 3ton) of the type that your wife bought for you. They are both about 8 years old and get used at home. If I have jack up either the Volvo or the GTI, I always use one of the steel CdnTire jacks.

Quick Reply: Did I get the right Jack for Christmas?