Notices

Did I get the right Jack for Christmas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 02:38 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Did I get the right Jack for Christmas?

My wife bought me a jack with jack stands for Christmas from Canadian Tire. It is 2 1/4 ton and raises to 15 inches. It seems really inexpensive ($44.99) to me and therefore, by my way of thinking, can't be great quality. The other one I looked at was $129.00 just for the jack, it was a Michelin low profile jack that raised to 22 inches. They also have models for $189.00 and $199.00 at varying lift heights and load bearings.

As I have never had the pleasure of jacking up my 911, could those that have let me know what I shoud be looking for as well as which ones you own and recommend.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like the one I'm using. Black with red bar? Both my jack and jack stands are made in China, and apparently the US-made ones are better, but I've had no problems with either jack or jack stands. I have my car up to change wheels all the time (for the track), brake bleeds and many other little things. Mind you, whenever I'm working under the car, I always put extra jackstands under there, plus an extra wheel or 2, sometimes a log, or anything else that's strong, in case something fails. I've usually got at least 2 backups if I've got my head under there.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:18 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me, I would chose the Michelin aluminum jack, 1.5T (on sale right now at Canadian Tire for $199.00) because 1) it is much lighter than standard jacks (and therefore easier to carry around) and 2) it will fit under my lowered car (the minimum height of this model is 3.5"!).
And as Christien said, do not forget the jack stands...
Old 12-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
My wife bought me a jack with jack stands for Christmas from Canadian Tire. It is 2 1/4 ton and raises to 15 inches. It seems really inexpensive ($44.99) to me and therefore, by my way of thinking, can't be great quality. The other one I looked at was $129.00 just for the jack, it was a Michelin low profile jack that raised to 22 inches. They also have models for $189.00 and $199.00 at varying lift heights and load bearings.
Unless you have a thing for jacks like I do, the basic jack you got should be OK for most jobs. I've had my basic Canadian Tire floor jack for 18 years and although I have 2 others I still use it for most jobs. I also have the 3.5 ton Michelin jack that has a max lift of to 22 inches... $129 is a great price by the way the only complaint is that it could be a bit lower as it may not fit under some cars and at 88 lbs it is not something you can lug to the track easily; I use this one when ever I need to lift the car as high as possible to support it on jack stands. I also have a 35 lbs Harbor Freight Aluminum Race jack that has a max lift of 17 inches that I bring to the track or whenever I need to bring along a jack, it looks cool as well.

What ever jack you get make sure you use 4 jack stands to support the car, do not rely on the jack alone. Since you hava a 911 you should consider getting one of these jack pads:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...L-TOL-JKPD.jpg
Old 12-28-2007, 04:19 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The right Jack is incapable of holding up a car. The bottle would break.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:58 AM
adelaide
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The jacks at Canadian Tire for the most part wil do the job of lifting our relatively light Porsches. But as everyeone says, do get some stands.

The jacks made in China are just fine. Even the Michelin ones are made there. Actualy, I don't think anymore consumer jacks are made in North America anymore.

That is a great price for those Michelin jacks, and I would pick one up before they don't offer them anymore. Given commodity prices, that jack at that price won't be around for long.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:04 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I have the Michelin low profile jack, it barely gets under the jack lifts, but it does so it works perfectly.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

DO NOT USE THE MICHELIN JACKS!!!!!!!!!!
About a year ago I brought the jack to my mechanic to change the winter tires inside his shop (his shop was new at the time and had no lift or jacks). He is very experienced, he lifted the car on flat concrete and on the 2nd wheel the jack folded (lucky wheels were still on the car). those jacks are garbage, and don't fit under my lowered pcars w/out 2x4s. I replaced it with a low profile aluminum one from princess auto for about $80 on sale, and is low enough to jack my cars without any wood. as stated earlier-use jack stands. also for the jacking points use a hockey puck between jack and car. again stay away from michelin, very poorly made. btw the one I got has a long single wheel at the front, the michelin ones have separate wheels at each corner.
the michelin one that Justin linked is the one that folded on me.

Last edited by Turbodan; 01-02-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree the aluminum jacks are lower to fit under the p-cars but other than that I don't think they are better in quality. My neighbor borrows my Michelin jack more than twice a year to jack up his Hummer H2... both wheels off the ground at a time to place it on monsterous 6 ton Jack stands... nothing gets bent.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
DO NOT USE THE MICHELIN JACKS!!!!!!!!!!
About a year ago I brought the jack to my mechanic to change the winter tires inside his shop (his shop was new at the time and had no lift or jacks). He is very experienced, he lifted the car on flat concrete and on the 2nd wheel the jack folded (lucky wheels were still on the car). those jacks are garbage, and don't fit under my lowered pcars w/out 2x4s. I replaced it with a low profile aluminum one from princess auto for about $80 on sale, and is low enough to jack my cars without any wood. as stated earlier-use jack stands. also for the jacking points use a hockey puck between jack and car. again stay away from michelin, very poorly made. btw the one I got has a long single wheel at the front, the michelin ones have separate wheels at each corner.
the michelin one that Justin linked is the one that folded on me.
Where is Princess Auto, and do you have a link to the jack you bought that I could see on-line?
Old 01-02-2008, 07:11 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Dan, I've lifted my 996 and Cayenne many times with the low profile michelin. Maybe the jack you had was dropped previosly and the wheel bracket damaged.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:16 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Where is Princess Auto, and do you have a link to the jack you bought that I could see on-line?
I doubt they have it online but here is a link
www.princessauto.com
Old 01-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

http://www.princessauto.com/_osn.cfm...20FLOOR%20JACK

that is the link 119.99 now.
the wheels were not bent, the jack was in new condition be4, the whole jack folded in the centre not just the wheels. I couldn't believe it could happen, and was operated by a very careful qualified mechanic. this was my experience so I thought I would share and warn others. use at your own risk. again I was very suprised at what happened. sorry to those who own these jacks, again didn't mean to put down others tools just sharing a story. I wish I photographed it.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3500_200313500
Used to be $79.99. Ships out near Toronto. Great for track and home use.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

I have owned al kinds of Jacks including 2 michelin jacks. Both ,ichelin jacks dies in the first year so i fortunately got my money back , i think they are no better quality than any other. i had a regular canadian tire steel jack for 10 years and was great. So i got another with a carry handle in the middle. works great , and If I can't quite get the lift I put a block of wood in. I use jacks a LOT an still swear y the old Canadian tire steel baby... stays in my garage so i never carry it anyway.

Quick Reply: Did I get the right Jack for Christmas?