Notices

CTEK trickle battery chargers on sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:20 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default CTEK trickle battery chargers on sale

Just thought I would pass on some information. For those who are in the market for a trickle charger, they are on sale at Performance Improvements (locations in: Barrie, Brampton, Guelph, Hamilton, Laval, Newmarket, Oshawa, Pierrefonds, Scarborough, and Toronto).

The model I bought, MULTI US 3300, which is the most versatile was $74.99 down from $94.99. I bought mine in Newmarket, so I suggest you call before you buy to make sure they are in stock and on sale at the store closest to you.

Happy charging!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:22 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks...I need one.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:18 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks - that reminds me, I have to hook mine up . . .

Ian
Old 12-03-2007, 10:23 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just hooked up my Battery Tender this weekend. It looks like the hibernation period has begun since we're getting dumped on right now. Here's looking forward to Spring!
Old 12-04-2007, 12:56 PM
FlashFlash
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,
I was doing some reasearch and it sounds like it's better to use a battery tender rather than a battery charger for storing. Does anyone recommend a brand / model for this?
I have a battery charger, I guess if I use it, I should only hook it up every so often rather than leave it on all the time?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I've never used either. I just pull the battery out and stick it in a corner in the basement, on some cardboard. Take it out in the spring, re-install and fire it up. Never had a problem. I think the sticker on it says 2001 (it hasn't been replaced since I bought the car in Oct/04), so it's far from new.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:48 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FlashFlash
Hi Guys,
I was doing some reasearch and it sounds like it's better to use a battery tender rather than a battery charger for storing. Does anyone recommend a brand / model for this?
I have a battery charger, I guess if I use it, I should only hook it up every so often rather than leave it on all the time?
Constant trickle charging is bad for the battery as you indicated. The battery tender I use is just labeled "Battery Tender", no specific brand. It's the one a lot of bikers use and you can probably find it at a motorcycle shop or I'm sure eBay has them. It shuts off until the battery is down one volt, charges it up, then shuts off again.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:17 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PbPedis
Constant trickle charging is bad for the battery as you indicated. The battery tender I use is just labeled "Battery Tender", no specific brand. It's the one a lot of bikers use and you can probably find it at a motorcycle shop or I'm sure eBay has them. It shuts off until the battery is down one volt, charges it up, then shuts off again.
The CTEK is a computer controlled charger. It does not stay on or trickle charge all the time. It charges the batter to 14 volts, then lets it sit until it goes below 12 volts, then it charges it back up again. It uses a pulse technology to desulphate the battery. It comes with a permanent attachment, so all you do it plug it in and remove it at will. They say it is safe to leave hooked up and plugged in all winter. http://www.ctek.com.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:07 AM
FlashFlash
Advanced

I was 'explained' that the battery tender by the Porsche parts guy just maintains the battery level so if the battery is too low already it won't charge it up. He was saying that if the battery is too low you need to purchase both the trickle charger and the battery tender to later maintain it.
Not sure, but I'm gonna go pick up a new battery tender and keep the battery 'topped up' I guess.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Sputter
Pro

Rather than just buying a maintainer buy a charger/maintainer. I like having more options with my equipment. Canadian Tire puts their Eliminator Brand stuff on sale regularly.

As a side note, Walmart had their Black And Decker Booster for sale in the weekly flyer. (the one that's smaller than a breadbox and charges through the cig lighter).
Old 12-06-2007, 04:38 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

The CTEK is both a charger and a maintainer. Read the description on the website.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Sputter
Pro

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
The CTEK is both a charger and a maintainer. Read the description on the website.
I just read through their website and it sounds like a solid item. The price is reasonable too.

Thanks for the pointer.

Quick Reply: CTEK trickle battery chargers on sale