Notices

retarded racing law

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:15 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Canadians need to protest more. How can we even fight these insane bills that are getting passed.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I grew up in London, and when I was in high school, Fantino was the chief of the London police. Like Phil said, plus ca change. He was "affectionately" referred to by some people then as Rambo. He wanted (and got) a police helicopter to monitor the city. You know what it feels like in a small city of 300,000 to have a helicopter hovering overhead with a police searchlight?

Another curious thing about this article - Omar sent it to me on facebook as well, or at least tried to send it. I got this message when I clicked the link:

This message contained content from Facebook that either has been removed or is not visible due to privacy settings.

My "notes" privacy settings are at zero, meaning no restrictions. I suppose it could be a copyright violation, but it seems strange...
Old 11-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
they've created entire generations of disillusioned voters (myself included) who have lost complete faith in the democratic process.
Democracy doesn't work with an uninformed electorate. The majority of people make impulsive decisions based on emotions rather than logic (not just at voting time, but shopping, etc.) and politicians (and advertisers) know how to exploit this to the hilt. It's easy to put up pictures of people killed in accidents, slap any reasoning on their deaths you want, and get people to vote for you.

As much as I lost ALL respect I had for Chretien because of the sponsorship scandal, he was on the right track with campaign reform. Taking away the vast amounts spent on campaign advertising is the only way to reform democracy, assuming 70% of our population isn't going to smarten up overnight. Without it, we move closer and closer to the US style of "democracy", controlled entirely by big business and special interest groups with deep pockets.

I didn't realize it until after the election, but in Hamilton's most recent municipal election (about a year ago), the mayor campaigned AND WON on a platform of no campaign contributions. He said he didn't want to be in the pockets of anybody in the city (a problem with his predecessor). His campaign cost something like $40K. Now THAT's democracy.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:19 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by LAT
The problem is simple stop voting F+++++ Liberal, vote Rhinocerous is you have to, anything but Liberal.
That's FIBeral to you .... eh!!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:20 AM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh here we go again!!!

Read the story, he visits family in Ottawa often and he admits to having a lead foot, and relying on his radar detector to save his butt. Don't feel sorry for him be thankful that this person who has no regard for Canadian laws is not driving on your highways. At least for a while.

I don't feel bad for him in the least.

The thing is guys the law is for 50kph over, which is way fast enough. Stay under that and you will fly under the radar .........pun intended.

Christien, if there was a child in the car. Police will make the situation safe, we would not leave anyone on the side of the road to be put in danger....I get paid to put my butt on that white fog line everyone else gets removed for their safety. The dog might be another story.

BG
Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Angry

So ... everyone here wants to go faster because they have a "Porsche" and are cool drivers .... give me a break ... there is nothing you do or drive that will make it "safer" to drive over the posted limit. If you think so ... yer dreaming.

Now ... since you can go "faster" ... what about that asshat with the coke bottle eyeglasses that is not paying attention to the road in his rust bucket ... hey ... you can do 150+ ... why not him??? Feel safer????? What about parking in handicaped spaces ... hey I can go faster ... so now I can use these spaces as well.

Jessus ... the laws are there because we cannot conduct ourselves accordingly. Just look at the 407 during any poor weather day. More accidents there than on any other roadway. If the general population had learned to drive properly and demonstrated these abilities, then the law will change. Hell ... I drive the 401 from Don Mills to Brampton every farkin day and the **** I see is unreal ... mostly unsafe at ANY SPEED!!! And you want them to go faster?????

Now ... the limit within urban areas should be limited to 100 kph and rural areas raised to 120 kph in clear weather. Once the weather drops it should be lowered to 80 kph. I found in Europe that the electronic speed signs worked great in reducing accidents and were constantly changing when the weather conditions warranted it. They seem to have better discipline than we do.

As for tourists who break the laws ... they should get the same as we do. There are signs posted on the highways that spell out the consequences of excessive speed. When the law came out it was posed and is still posted everywhere. Do the crime ... to the time.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:35 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Just because it's law, doesn't mean that it is right.

Well I guess if your Korean or Chinese then is it but at least there you can buy off the authorities.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Just because it's law, doesn't mean that it is right.

Well I guess if your Korean or Chinese then is it but at least there you can buy off the authorities.
People still continue to demonstrate their inability to behave without constraints ... hence the "laws" ... we are still in a Kindergarden sandbox ... it's just the box that is bigger and more dangerous!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

my humble opinion as always ...

This thread is not about speeding laws , but more about political manipulation of the media and the people who elected said government to a) eliminate due process, b) create there own set of rules c) feed there hidden gendas of more money generation.

Also I have had a few tickets out of the Country, yes I was speeding and I admit that and deserved the tickets, I was given no break no " consideration and probably should not have been. i was even told in one case where there was me and 2 other US plates and I was just following, that they always pull the money from the tourists because there was less probability of fighting and they were able to raise the money without affecting local voters. So I fully agree with slapping fines on out of state cars with the maximum fines, if not for nothing else, for fair play.

I feel there should be signs stating points are transferable across the border, but that might actually slow people down , not generate revenue. So probably won't happen.

and as far as spending limits for re-electon go .... well what can I say ... Omar hows your dad ? .. sorry , couldn't resist.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:23 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The law is the law is the law . . . until it is struck down in court or replaced with another. And the onus is always, always, always on the citizen or visitor to know.

Right turns in NYC? Illegal. You didn’t know? Too bad. Your problem. Not the cops. Here's your ticket, sir.

Zero tolerance for booze & driving in Hungary. That’s right – zero. You didn’t know? Too bad. Or do they have to put up signs in every bar, restaurant & liquor store?

No drive zone in Firenze, Italy. You didn’t know? Too bad. Don’t worry. They’ll mail you the ticket 3 months later.

You don’t like the law? Then get off your butt & work to change it. Or you could just bitch & moan on an Internet forum about how draconian it is. Pick a Canadian car forum. Any forum – Porsche, Audi, BMW, Corvette, Honda, Nissan etc etc & you will find the same posts & the same outrage.

But don’t blame the officer at the side of the road. He is doing what we pay him to do.

Get off your butt & work to change it. But good luck!

Ian
Old 11-28-2007, 11:29 AM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Fantino said that if it were up to him, he would have made it 30 km/hr over instead of 50. That is the most asinine thing I've ever heard. I'd like to know how that deals with street racing, which is the root of why this stupid law was enacted in the first place. In addition, I frequently see his officers flying down the highway w/o their cherries on. Maybe they should practice what they preach.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
That's FIBeral to you .... eh!!!!
Dude...you want the definition of FIBeral?
look at the actual facts regarding that "street racing" crash that killed the 2 parents and snowballed into the bass ackwards law we have now.

The courts, who had access to all the proper evidence, noted that the "street racer" was only doing 112kph, not 150+...and that the dad of the now orphaned kid who was driving: WAS DRUNK...not just slightly over the limit, but 'holy crap the room is fuzzy' DRUNK.

before the judicial branch made a ruling on the case, the spin doctors in the media, and those up for re-election shifted facts and placed the blame on something that didn't happen. There was no street racing, the cause of this was once again drunk driving which continues to be the biggest REAL problem on the road. Unfortunatly it also seems to be the most difficult thing to stop/prevent so street racing became the next modus operendi to appear tough on crime, even if it meant lying about the facts.

As Ian said: the law is the law until it's changed. But how can a good law require so much manipulation of the facts and BS in order to drumb up support for it.

*end rant, everyone enjoy your work day and "fly under the radar" *
Old 11-28-2007, 12:15 PM
webbie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
As for tourists who break the laws ... they should get the same as we do. There are signs posted on the highways that spell out the consequences of excessive speed. When the law came out it was posed and is still posted everywhere. Do the crime ... to the time.
Well, maybe the cops can offer little help for him to find his way back home instead of leaving the guy alone. I don't mean giving the guy a ride home, but just a little help. The guy breaks a Ontario highway bill doesn't mean he should be treated like a criminal. This is what happen when you give the cops too much power.

Beside, many of our friends down south think turning off the radar is good enough. Not realizing it actually means they have to REMOVE IT.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Omar .. I think that is one case that brought it forward, used as an example (BTW Media spin with McSquinty prodding). I have seen what happens when these racers (ricers????) crash ... I spent 22 hours restoring our Fibre network after one took out a large hydro pole ... ended up on the boulevard ... caught fire and burned up two of our main backbone fibres. Driver walked away and told the INS Co. that he hit a pole. We claimed against his INS Co for over $250K ... they had a ****e fit!!! They did pay ....

Still ... there is no excuse for doing 150+ on the roads. ****e ... some were caught doing 110 in a 50 zone ... what do we do with those???? Ban all Honda's & thier other brands .....?
Old 11-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by webbie
Well, maybe the cops can offer little help for him to find his way back home instead of leaving the guy alone. I don't mean giving the guy a ride home, but just a little help. The guy breaks a Ontario highway bill doesn't mean he should be treated like a criminal. This is what happen when you give the cops too much power.

Beside, many our friends down south think turning off the radar is good enough. Not realizing it actually means they have to REMOVE IT.
Me thinks there is more to the story than the article states. Seems they are a frequent visitor and were aware of the consequences. They did the crime .. he now is doing the crime. Besides ... he admitted he was a lead foot and broke the law. HE is the one responsible for the outcome ... HE dragged the Family into it ... maybe he should also be charged with endangerment as well??? There is no "I have a "<insert family unit/excuss> and I should get special treatment". Maybe his wife will bore him a new one!!!

Quick Reply: retarded racing law