Notices

Ontario DUI law getting stricter...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Pfaff Tuning GM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So now the bars will have to have .5 draft on tap!!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RyeHigh
I still maintain that 2-3 drinks is fine, for me any ways.
Exactly. But then we have the problem of the lowest common denominator, which, more and more, seems to be the guiding principal of our lawmakers. 2-3 drinks may be fine for 98% of the people out there, but because for those 2% of people it's not, the rest of us have to suffer.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

As it happens, I live downtown and just grab a cab if I want to go out to dinner,so no personal exposure, but the amount of discretion we are giving to the police is just ridiculuous. If ticketed there should always be recourse to the court system. The 50km over limit vehicle confiscation is almost certainly unconsitutional in my view as there is no court recourse.

(Was getting my car washed as a hand wash in Octobr and a cruiser pulled up . The two officers gave the car a close look and one of them said: "Have seen this car round the city,though not where I want it"

"Where''s that"? I asked

"In my radar gun " he growled.)
Old 11-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Christien
Race Car

You've got to be kidding. You should've got the car # and written a letter to the chief, cc'd to the Star, Globe, Post, etc.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:24 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

I hope you told him where to go.....in a nice way of course...
Old 11-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 780 Likes on 362 Posts

Mmmmmm....Sunday night, staff christmas party

dinner....$10000
8 beers.....$40
2 bottles of red wine....$100
a couple shots....$10
buying a few rounds....$400
a wireless microphone with a loquacious, drunken former lawyer and shameless ham at the controls....*hugely embarassing*

cab ride home and back safely away from the *****........Priceless!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:44 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, ryeguy, I hear you. I've been guilty in my youth of booze cruises....good thing we had a sober-ish driver in the countryside. I grew up in Flesherton, Ontario...about 2 hours north of you on HWY 10. You sure need skill doing a booze cruise on the back roads. I lost quite a few friends over the years in high school to drunk driving. Hell, even 1 guy's mom, Mrs. Franks brought her son Tim around to the schools in his iron lung. He was drunk after football and crashed his car...turning him into a veggie in an iron lung. He eventually dies...good thing for him.

Perhaps .5 is ok for most of us, but there's always one ****er who cannot handle booze and kills someone.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:45 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

they did this in washington DC.

it is or will be repealed soon as too draconian.

.08 is more than enough. Whatever new law comes out the main problem with DUIs isn't the soccer mom having a glass of wine it's the chronics who go WAY past .08 and don't care.

Just another example of political postuing that's going to catch a lot of otherwise law abiding people.

How about catching real ciminals and fight property crime instead of trying to pad the provincial coffers. ******** ... every last one of them.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Christien
Race Car

What does .08 feel like, anyway? I have no concept of BAC. I do however know when I've had too much to drive.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:46 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 780 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
What does .08 feel like, anyway? I have no concept of BAC. I do however know when I've had too much to drive.
*Average* adult raises bac by about .025 per regular beer. So if you were to drink three in an hour, you'd prolly be right around there.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:29 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
*Average* adult raises bac by about .025 per regular beer. So if you were to drink three in an hour, you'd prolly be right around there.
I usually go by the rule, one an hour and you're alright. Anything more and be careful. So many variables including how much one ate, what is one doing , what is the person's body type, what are their usually drinking habits......etc.

Google it and you will probably get more literature than you can read in a lifetime.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:14 AM
ADAM GRAY
Banned

It seems a bit much. At some point in life everyone should move on, I dont think you should be punished for a crime forever.

Criminal Attorneys
Old 07-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The law is .05 here in Italy and it certainly is a good thing at that as the local cemetaries have plenty of teenagers who were killed from drinking and driving accidents on Friday and Saturday nights. I have never heard that alcohol improves one abilities to drive a motor vehicle. Pilots used to have to refrain 24 hours from bottle to throttle and I assume that many still abide by that. I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner and a beer or two at other times but I am glad that Ontario is going to go with the .05 tollerance limit.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

6 years ago, I went to a traffic conference where MADD's lawyer did a presentation on lowering the legal limit to 0.05. They claimed that an average adult male, 200lbs, on an empty stomach, can have 6 beers in two hours and still be under .08.
Now if you can normally function with .09, you are either a functioning alcohlic or you don't get effected by alcholol like a normal person would.
As part of the MADD presentation, they did say that most alcoholics will pass these tests and they are not the real problem as they are used to operating/functioning under high level of alcohol in their system. Their body gets used to the constant high level of alcohol and adjust/get used to it over time. The real issue is the binge drinkers that get loaded in a very short periof of time and get behind the wheel.

I'm not for or against MADD but their presentation was fairly convincing.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:42 AM
PPo
Drifting

I think the real issue is the fact that people are still getting behind the wheel at levels higher then 0.8 and they think it is appropriate to drive. I am not sure if dropping the level to .05 will make a difference to the number of deaths and accidents because it's the ignorant and mutiple offenders that are the real problem.

It takes mutiple generations for the message to sink in. Knowing how my friends handled the situation, and seeing my nieces and nephews actions, I believe thier is a general improvement in younger generations.

What we need to stop is the older generations glorifying how cool they think they where because they used to drink and drive without seat belts, while thier friends where car surfing and stoned on the roof. Besides, I was passed out in the passenger seat by that time... ;-)

The best deffence is to get so blitzed you can't even find your car!

P

Quick Reply: Ontario DUI law getting stricter...