Notices

19A insurance recommendations for Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:21 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Hmm... TD will issue a 19A but they won't insure a 1972 because of its age. Lovely.
Well, I just received my refusal phone call from TD. They won't insure my 1978 911 because it has been modified. Oh well, I guess it is back to the insurance drawing board.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Shemmer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
I just got an email from my broker saying Dominion doesn't offer 19A, so my new policy is useless. But here's the kicker. She said it turns out all along I only had the 19, not 19A with Economical, so I've never been fully covered!!!! Needless to say I was livid when I read that. So I'll take back my recommendations, and sorry to all I put in touch with her to find the 19A. I'll give her one more chance to get me the right policy and if she doesn't, I'll be looking for a new broker.
Damn, after reading some posts on the 19 / 19a issue I thought I'd better take a closer look at my Economical policy and guess what? 19, no 19a which is what I originally requested. That was the reason I paid $200 for an appraisal. I emailed my broker the following:

"I was looking over the policy for my Porsche and discovered that I have a OPCF 19 instead of an OPCF 19A. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the OPCF 19 mean actual cash value or the lesser. This means that in the event of a total loss, the insurance company will assess the value based on its condition, year, mileage, current market pricing, wholesale, etc verses OPCF 19A which means insured to value based on the appraisal? I was under the impression that my policy contained the OPCF 19A. Can you clarify this for me. It might be easier via e-mail to avoid any misunderstanding.
Also, I have a few friends in the Porsche club interested in changing companies. Is it ok to give them your contact information? These are older mature individuals, most of which have families, homes and Porsches."

and I haven't yet received a response. I'll keep you guys posted with the results.

Isn't it funny, when you want a quote on a new car you get responses immediately but when there's a problem you gotta play the excuses game: "I didn't receive your e-mail because.... I was out of town, my assistant was out of town , my business was out of town, I was taking a dump, my assistant was taking a dump, everyone was taking a dump, we are just all incapable" excuses like that. Kinda makes you think the're all full of sh*t those silly f**kers

Makes you go hmmmmmmm with scrunched eyebrows.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow, that does indeed sound familiar...
Old 01-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

What are the conditions for getting a 19A policy, and do they cover time attack cars and 996 anti-police interceptor units
Old 01-12-2008, 01:09 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

If only silver wheels had a policy where you could actually drive your car to work or to a store, at least they seem to get the collector car thing.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Christien
Race Car

Yeah, I'd be happy with a 19A with a very high deductible (say 2K), which I'm assuming is the reason silver wheels won't do daily drivers. I'm ok with small repairs - door dings and stuff like that, I'm more concerned about theft, major damage or write-off.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 AM
turbo 951 86
Track Day

Default insurance lLant

I had Lant for years on my Jaguars, they were great. I even had a claim for approx. $4500. No problems, they handled the claim very well. My premiums were in the $200/year range. I did not track my Jaguar at that time, however tit was modified, Jaguar "upgrades", Big brakes, E type triple carbs etc. Lant would allow you to drive your car when you wanted with no official mileage restrictions, but yes you could not drive it to work.

Presently I have sold the Jaguars and my race car I am in the process of buying a 951, I am looking at Lant for insurance, however I am disappointed in their staetemnet on their website about no "time trials" etc. So no Solo 1/Solo sprints "officially". But to be honest that seems to be standard for most insurance companies these days. BUT driver ED and open track days aren't mentioned, because they are not "timed" events? ;-)I

Dose any one else have any experience with their insurance company with regards to "track days/Solo events"?

thanks
Steve

ps I did track my 1992 XJS- Solo 1, I had regular insurance and just never told my insurance company like most of use do.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Christien
Race Car

When I spoke to Lant they said absolutely no kind of track event, timed or not, including autocross, don't even think about it. I think they'd get upset if you even drove the car to Mosport just to watch!

With my old policy, it specifically stated no racing, racing defined as competitive and/or timed events. DEs are clearly not included in that. My belief was always that if I wrote off the car they'd cover me then either drop me or jack my rates up through the roof. I have heard of people being writing off cars and insurance covering them at DEs, mostly rumours, though one was first hand.

I think the key factor is timing and competition.

According to UCR (and several other people I've asked) they can't deny your liability coverage, so if you hurt someone, you're covered there.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

damn it I just rolled my car at the track .. hmm . buddy tow truck driver .. wanna tow my wreck out on to the road ? :-)
Old 01-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Christien
Race Car

I heard about someone doing something similar (though not quite so drastic) at a DE once. Late-model boxster, went into the grass and broke something with the power steering (foreign concept to me!), drove 20 km or so down the 401 and called Pfaff for warranty work!
Old 01-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

we do it all the time at cayuga.
CAA gold membership free tows. they won't pick you up from the racetrack..so push the car out past the gates and call em. the tow drivers don't care, its just corporate that does.

either that or get some better drive shafts for your damned hondas lol

Quick Reply: 19A insurance recommendations for Ontario