Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:04 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Shemmer
I just have one thing to say.........................BRYSTON
"Go Big Or Go Home"

I had my HT system filmed as a 3 part episode on Daily Planet about home theatres. I don't know if it's still on the web but if you go to the discovery channel and go to Shannon Bentley's Gadgets, you will see a 3 part segment on home theatre. Watch the episodes and you'll see how to build a real home theatre.

Minor Details:
B&W 7.1 Surround
Denon 5803 receiver for preamp only
7 Bryston 4B's
A pair of 15" subs in a custom built cabinet vented into the room below the screen, etc. etc. etc.

Most of which I now have for sale

BTW, I have a **** load of projectors, touch panels and electronics for sale if anyone's interested.
Well if your stereo is a powerful as your car, I'm inclined to believe you.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Shemmer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS
Well if your stereo is a powerful as your car, I'm inclined to believe you.
What did you think? I know it was short but you were still ahead a bit. Too bad we ran out of space.
Great day and nice vid.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:56 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

What did you think? I know it was short but you were still ahead a bit. Too bad we ran out of space.
Great day and nice vid.
Pre chip, I don't think I would have been ahead.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:07 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I just came home and set up the Sony Home Theatre Projector I bought from Future Shop. I was watching Transformers on the 42" Plasma last night and shut it off half way through, knowing that I needed a 3 meter picture.

Now I can finish it with the required dimensions.....
Old 10-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

another topic of serious concern: seating.

laz-e-boy sofa sectional thingy or the baller leather individual recliner cinema chairs that they make.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:35 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, look at it this way . . .

If you're watching a movie with your mother, get the individual cinema seats. Many prices & fabric/leather options available.

But if you're watching with your girlfriend or semi-loving spouse, get the sectional. I hear that they tend to enjoy 'cuddling' & 'coziness'. Individual seats look cool but . . .

Ian
Old 10-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by imcarthur
Well, look at it this way . . .

If you're watching a movie with your mother, get the individual cinema seats. Many prices & fabric/leather options available.

But if you're watching with your girlfriend or semi-loving spouse, get the sectional. I hear that they tend to enjoy 'cuddling' & 'coziness'. Individual seats look cool but . . .

Ian
yeah thats what i was thinking.
screw it..there's 3 ways of doing things...the right way, the wrong way and the Khan way.....which is usually the wrong way but faster.

phase 1: have buddy use Solidworks to engineer state of the art seating system with titanium subframe, carbonfiber snack trays, 10ghz cordless phone inside, AIM-9M sidewinders and OnStar.

phase 2: lobby NASA to build it as a prototype space project to keep astronaughts comfy on long missions.

phase 3: appropriate funds from Ballistic missile defence program..cause it isn't going anywhere....and we need to be comfortable...incase the terrorists want our.....hifi?
Old 10-28-2007, 07:38 PM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW, I have a **** load of projectors, touch panels and electronics for sale if anyone's interested.
You have a PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:28 PM
SHEMM
Intermediate

I just have one thing to say.........................BRYSTON
"Go Big Or Go Home"

I had my HT system filmed as a 3 part episode on Daily Planet about home theatres. I don't know if it's still on the web but if you go to the discovery channel and go to Shannon Bentley's Gadgets, you will see a 3 part segment on home theatre. Watch the episodes and you'll see how to build a real home theatre.

Minor Details:
B&W 7.1 Surround
Denon 5803 receiver for preamp only
7 Bryston 4B's
A pair of 15" subs in a custom built cabinet vented into the room below the screen, etc. etc. etc.

Most of which I now have for sale

HEY! - save me one of the those projectors for the basement!
Old 11-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

ok phototime...here is the space i'm working with:
it is roughly just under half of the main basement room.
i can't find a measuring tape for some reason so actual dimensions will have to wait but i dont think i was too far off my original estimate.

Any recommendations as for what will be needed to fill the space well?

These pics show the backspace behind the "home theater area"

Old 11-04-2007, 05:39 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

For standard 5.1:

Center speaker is placed above or below the TV. Right & left channel main speakers equidistant from the TV. All of these speakers should be on the same plane, roughly equidistant from the main listening area.

Place bipole or dipole effects speakers to the right & left of the main viewing position. On a wall & raised above ear level is best for you.

Place your subwoofer wherever you can put it, but best if it’s off center slightly. Avoid corners if possible.

You are trying to center the sound on the video display so when an actor talks, the sound comes out of his mouth. 60% of Home Theater sound comes from the center channel, so don’t go cheap here. The right & left speakers are used primarily for effects & the music track so they are also important.

I would suggest bookshelf speakers R & L. Some shelves would have to go to get a decent sized bookshelf. Set your front speaker position to small on your receiver. I would also suggest bipole or dipole effects speakers, with your room. If budget won’t allow them, just get a decent flat wallmount. Mount one on the valance on the one side & the other beside the window at the same height. That would get them up & out of the way & keep the focus in the listening part of the room.

One sub would work OK, but if you are after thunder in that long room, I would use 2. One near the front & one somewhere on the side wall somewhere past the couch.

Ian

Old 11-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

woohoo! he even made a diagram
crap..that means if i'm going bookshelf, i'm gonna have to move all the equipment off to the side (probably where that papasan chair is).

I might as well just go with a set of floor standers left and right in that case.

Making a list of speakers to go listen to for now:

- Axiom (M60 floorstanders on the front, 150 center channel and a decent pair of surrounds with EF-500sub)
- Klipsch (RVX-54 floorstanders for front...and some ungodly combination of other speakers
- Magnepan

Regarding Magnepan: do they really work? they would be great because of the little space they take up due to their thin-ness, but they look like they would be totally useless for any kind of bass work which would have to be offloaded to the subs. Are they good for home theater duty?
Old 11-04-2007, 06:05 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, Maggies work. It is an electro-magnetic speaker. Wires are embedded in a mylar(?) diaphram with a large fixed magnet array behind. The old repel & attract thing. Some models use a foil ribbon tweeter. They do like room behind them . . . 4 - 5 ft from rear wall.

[plug]Add Focal 816V with CC800V & SR800V to your listen list.[/plug]

Ian
Old 11-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

will do.

oh..i finally got around to measuring my room..it seems i grossly overestimated the size i have to fill. The room is only 8 feet tall, 12 feet wide and from the front of the tv/green shelfing thingy to the back of the couch is only 15 feet (12x15x8)...so i only need to fill approx 1500-1700 cubic feet instead of the original 3800 i was planning for lol.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:29 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree on dipole surrounds. Check out PSB, great sound for the money.

Quick Reply: OT: Home Theater Sound