Notices

OT: Home Theater Sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:10 AM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CDN_Wolf_eh
I have a 5.1 B&W set up at my place, with a Rotel 7.1 Surround Receiver and a Arcam DVD player with the DVD Audio descrete option ... amazing sound

The Rotel Receiver offers incredible performance and value (kinda like a Z06! ) It would be positioned above the Yamaha, Denon, and the top end Sony and Pioneer systems.

It might be a bit out of your initial price range ... but, if you would like to come over some time for a listen, just let me know.

Mark
I couldnt agree with you more! Rotel+B&W is great mix! I have the 1068 and I love it! Although its hard to argue with my GF that it was good value, but we know it is
Old 10-25-2007, 09:41 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffa
If you are really serious, I would suggest putting up a wall between the two rooms to make for good acoustics. But that might be getting a little crazy
You could just hang velvet curtains that can be moved to open the space up when not is use.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:14 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
You could just hang velvet curtains that can be moved to open the space up when not is use.
Maybe some sweet **** carpeting, disco ball and some lava laps? Oh wait, not sure if he is going for the creepy threesome-loving kinda guy look.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
^ do it. rennlist megamix for playing on cruises
I have a few mix CD's of ~130bpm house music on my website: www.fcracer.com The sets get about 200 downloads whenever I release a new one; people say it improves their workout. Just don't blame me if you get a speeding ticket listening to it!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:55 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Stay away from Future Shop / Best Buy. Go check out Brack Electronics (downtown or thornhill) or Canadian Audio Visual (Bramptom). Those guys will be able to build a system that suits your needs.
I agree to a point. Future Shop now carries Energy speakers. The Reference Connoisseur line is very nice and there is a huge mark up in speakers so they will be willing to deal. The Energy RC-70 lists for $2500 and is a great speaker. There is a guy in the GTA selling a new (still in boxes) pair on Kijiji for $1300. I'd snap those up. Go to Future Shop and audition them.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe some sweet **** carpeting, disco ball and some lava laps? Oh wait, not sure if he is going for the creepy threesome-loving kinda guy look.
doesn't matter what i want, as long as chicks still go for it
Old 10-25-2007, 03:36 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PbPedis
I agree to a point. Future Shop now carries Energy speakers. The Reference Connoisseur line is very nice and there is a huge mark up in speakers so they will be willing to deal. The Energy RC-70 lists for $2500 and is a great speaker. There is a guy in the GTA selling a new (still in boxes) pair on Kijiji for $1300. I'd snap those up. Go to Future Shop and audition them.
I didnt know they now carry Energy. They make a good speaker as well. Sadly, the only thing you get from FS / BB is a decent price and a good return pokicy.

That being said, if you ever feel like venturing out to Waterloo, I can't rave enough about the services and pricing I have gotten from Steve's TV. Just completed the HT with a 46" sony xbr4. This thing is awesome.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,148 Likes on 822 Posts

doesn't matter what i want, as long as chicks still go for it

Then why not sell your Porsche and buy a crappy beat up Mazda .... oh wait ...
Old 10-26-2007, 01:03 AM
Shemmer
Pro

I just have one thing to say.........................BRYSTON
"Go Big Or Go Home"

I had my HT system filmed as a 3 part episode on Daily Planet about home theatres. I don't know if it's still on the web but if you go to the discovery channel and go to Shannon Bentley's Gadgets, you will see a 3 part segment on home theatre. Watch the episodes and you'll see how to build a real home theatre.

Minor Details:
B&W 7.1 Surround
Denon 5803 receiver for preamp only
7 Bryston 4B's
A pair of 15" subs in a custom built cabinet vented into the room below the screen, etc. etc. etc.

Most of which I now have for sale

BTW, I have a **** load of projectors, touch panels and electronics for sale if anyone's interested.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:09 AM
KenRose
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a Naim guy too. What city are you in? I'm in Calgary.

Originally Posted by TurboS
I have Naim Audio in my house, strictly for Stereo. They also make components for home theatre.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:28 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

I’ll weigh in here since it’s my business. I have been selling mid to high end audio products for over 25 years. Wholesale. Many of the stores mentioned have been customers of mine at one point. And I have sold many of the products mentioned. I have heard & helped assemble HTs up to $1M (equipment cost only).

Some home theater/stereo hints:

Your system is only as good as it’s weakest link.

Use music as your reference to determine sound quality. Home theater is just boom & crash & useless as a reference. If a speaker sounds good with music, it will sound good with home theater. Ditto DVD player. Ditto receiver/separates. Take your own demo disc & compare. And the same advice applies to video too.

Your room will be the worst thing about your hifi/HT & the most expensive thing to adjust.

2 subwoofers are better than 1. Your goal is to produce a high SPL < 80 Hz. To do this effectively, 2 subs will equalize the air pressure in the room better than 1 due to room nulls etc. An SPL meter in the listening zone will tell you where to put them & how to adjust phase.

All marketing is BS. Everything you read is BS. I have rewritten reviews guys . . .

No, I can’t get you a deal. Been there & done that & no.

Give Adrian Low a call at Audio Excellence on Bayview. A good guy & a Ferrari enthusiast. Tell him I sent you & that I said he would ‘look after’ you. He will.

Ian
Old 10-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Then why not sell your Porsche and buy a crappy beat up Mazda .... oh wait ...
of course..maybe while i'm at it i'll punch a hole in my roof too :P
Old 10-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shemmer
I just have one thing to say.........................BRYSTON
"Go Big Or Go Home"

I had my HT system filmed as a 3 part episode on Daily Planet about home theatres. I don't know if it's still on the web but if you go to the discovery channel and go to Shannon Bentley's Gadgets, you will see a 3 part segment on home theatre. Watch the episodes and you'll see how to build a real home theatre.

Minor Details:
B&W 7.1 Surround
Denon 5803 receiver for preamp only
7 Bryston 4B's
A pair of 15" subs in a custom built cabinet vented into the room below the screen, etc. etc. etc.

Most of which I now have for sale

BTW, I have a **** load of projectors, touch panels and electronics for sale if anyone's interested.
shemmer, what's a 4B?
Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

shemmer, what's a 4B?
World-Class Canadian-made amplifier. Used to be in Rexdale & moved to Peterborough in the early 90s. See Bryston 4B SST.

Ian
Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by KenRose
I'm a Naim guy too. What city are you in? I'm in Calgary.
Naim Rulz!
What brand of speakers?

I'm in Richmond Hill ON.

Quick Reply: OT: Home Theater Sound