Notices

Good laptime for Cayuga?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 03:19 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good laptime for Cayuga?

Does anyone know what a good laptime is for a closed wheel car at TMP? I've done some research online looking for laptimes but came up dry. Thanks!!
Old 10-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Here are some lap times from the Aug. 11 CSCS time attack:
http://www.cscs.ca/content/view/78/118/

You'll notice yours truly dead last in his class (Super Street RWD) with a best lap time of 1:36.86. So I'd say that should be an easy time to beat! That was in my (stock) 72 911 with RA1s, though the car wasn't running at peak.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it really depends on the car..i was flogging a stock rx-8 on stock dunlops to get it down to the 1:31's. my 996 on the other hand ran a 1:29 with bad tires, little to no brakes and heavy 19' wheels.

best thing is to just get ot there and have a buddy with a stopwatch time you.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:06 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
it really depends on the car..i was flogging a stock rx-8 on stock dunlops to get it down to the 1:31's. my 996 on the other hand ran a 1:29 with bad tires, little to no brakes and heavy 19' wheels.

best thing is to just get ot there and have a buddy with a stopwatch time you.
What happened to the RX-8 after? Back on the lot
Old 10-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ nah..my buddy bought it actually. he's prolly flogging it around some track in alberta
Old 10-04-2007, 10:56 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

hmmm... I better check that video again then! My friend came down and timed me between 1:21 and 1:24 and the video appears to confirm this, but that doesn't seem plausible after seeing the times listed on that page.

The GT3 was the quickest car at the track day, but not sure if the laptime is accurate now. I'll have to try again on October 10th to get a laptime.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fc-racer
hmmm... I better check that video again then! My friend came down and timed me between 1:21 and 1:24 and the video appears to confirm this, but that doesn't seem plausible after seeing the times listed on that page.
dude..don't really go with the times listed on that page....most of those guys (with a few exceptions) have never done a driver's ed, a PCA race skool type thing, and try to cut laptimes by adding go-fast parts instead of practicing more and more.

i'm sure your buddy in his GT3 if he knows how to drive could decimate those times. i'd be interested in seeing his lines thru the corners since the course is so tight it definitly favors a lighter low HP momentum car IMO.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:25 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
dude..don't really go with the times listed on that page....most of those guys (with a few exceptions) have never done a driver's ed, a PCA race skool type thing, and try to cut laptimes by adding go-fast parts instead of practicing more and more.

i'm sure your buddy in his GT3 if he knows how to drive could decimate those times. i'd be interested in seeing his lines thru the corners since the course is so tight it definitly favors a lighter low HP momentum car IMO.
It's actually my GT3 that was videotaped while I was driving. My friend who took the video doesn't understand the concept of taping for laptimes! Quite often, he records the section coming onto the straight and then cuts it Other laps he records the entire lap with a zoom so ridiculous it makes me want to puke watching it and because of the zoom, I can't be 100% sure that it's all one lap.

There is one lap that is clear from beginning to end that he didn't cut for sure, but I'm stuck behind a slow car the entire lap. That lap was 1:26. The guy would not let me pass and I did not want to pass without signal because he was the organizer of the event and I already got black flagged earlier in the day for being too "aggressive"
Old 10-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

was this during the exotic car lapping day?
wanna come out 2 the cscs day on sat and lap with us?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:30 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Yeah, it was the exotic car lapping day; not that fun of a day to be honest. I much preferred the event I did last year with Gerry Wong. The "exotic" cars just would not move out of the way and I had to do some dicey things to get past which was more akin to my karting days than a fun lapping day.

Is there an event this Saturday? I wouldn't mind getting out there again. What is the cost, process, etc? The only thing I'm worried about is my rear brake pad wear. DFC didn't have a set in stock and the car seems to eat them on the track. If I go, I might have to cut my day short, but would still like to get more track time before hibernation.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

What days does Gerry Wong organize? Or are you thinking of Gerry Low? He runs the Advanced Driver Training program at TMP, and does a great job of it. Instructors/coaches if you want them, or just lapping if that's what you prefer. Usually a really good crowd turns up, too. The only time someone won't let you pass is when it's a newbie who's maybe a bit timid, or is just still learning to watch mirrors, which doesn't really bother me that much. No attitudes or egos, usually.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Yeah, it was the exotic car lapping day; not that fun of a day to be honest. I much preferred the event I did last year with Gerry Wong. The "exotic" cars just would not move out of the way and I had to do some dicey things to get past which was more akin to my karting days than a fun lapping day.

Is there an event this Saturday? I wouldn't mind getting out there again. What is the cost, process, etc? The only thing I'm worried about is my rear brake pad wear. DFC didn't have a set in stock and the car seems to eat them on the track. If I go, I might have to cut my day short, but would still like to get more track time before hibernation.
www.cscs.ca
if you call their number and speak to chris, tell him omar told you to call. it is 120$ for the day, including time attack. chris can fill you in on the specifics.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:09 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Christien
What days does Gerry Wong organize? Or are you thinking of Gerry Low? He runs the Advanced Driver Training program at TMP, and does a great job of it. Instructors/coaches if you want them, or just lapping if that's what you prefer. Usually a really good crowd turns up, too. The only time someone won't let you pass is when it's a newbie who's maybe a bit timid, or is just still learning to watch mirrors, which doesn't really bother me that much. No attitudes or egos, usually.
Sorry Christien, it was Gerry Low and that was the same experience I had running with his crew; it was a fantastic day with great people. Gerry is holding a lapping day on October 20th that I will be attending and I can't wait to run with a fun crowd again.

In comparison, the exotic car lapping day had *a lot* of ego which took away most of the fun. No matter how hard I came out of the bottom corner, it was tough work to pass a Viper GTS or a supercharged Corvette down the straight if they weren't cooperative.

Given that they weren't watching their mirrors and their ego wouldn't let a lowly GT3 pass, you question what their reaction would be if you pulled up the inside of them into a braking zone. In one case, the driver would not give in and tried to run around the outside... and this was in the advanced group...
Old 10-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a Solo 1 record of 78.9 with my Z06, it was broken this year by a 427 Z06 77.5. now that's fast.
I would be interested in a lapping day, see how the GT3 does.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:42 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

we just came back from the track day. my friend ran a 1:30 in his 1997 Subaru 2.5RS. only mods are a set of blown D2 coilovers. pretty good time. i know a guy in a fully decked an r-compounded s2000 ran a 1:26. i think the S2K should have been capable of much more, i mean its chassis and power is so much more refined than the ancient subaru..plus he had r-compounds.

having said that, i'll post the link of all the times when the results from the event are in.

ZO6: your time of 1:18 is GODDAMNED FAST man! there was a subaru canada rally car there today and i dont think even he cracked that by much (there was a lot of ontrack conjestion, but still i doubt it could have beaten that time by much)

Quick Reply: Good laptime for Cayuga?