Notices

Sept 19 Mosport trackday. Who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Do some searching around here about Noble, and you'll understand! the "didn't mean to offend" comment was kind of part of the joke, too! Sorry if you missed it, but I knew some would get a laugh! it's really nothing against you at all, just the reference to the redneck and horse's stall made me think of him!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

where is Noble? MIA?
Old 09-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Christien
Race Car

He voluntarily resigned from rennlist a few months ago, unless he's posting under a new username (and personality!) now:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...39#post4351839
Old 09-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Sputter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
He voluntarily resigned from rennlist a few months ago, unless he's posting under a new username (and personality!) now:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...39#post4351839
Ah yah, i recall that thread, he is/was an odd duck. (i'm being polite)
Old 09-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Christien
Race Car

Weather looks great (23, partly sunny, no rain forecast for the entire week), and as of Wed. there are still some spots available, if anyone's thinking of signing up. So far BRG days are my favourite of all the different groups I've driven with at Mosport.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:34 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Christian,
Since you've done BRG88 before, what else should one bring other than the obvious like helmet, mounted fire extinguisher and tech inspection form? Should I bring my own water and camera or do they have a photog there?...
Old 09-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Christien
Race Car

Actually, I don't believe their tech inspection forms require a mounted extinguisher, but I could be wrong, and I always bring mine. They have water sometimes but not always (or maybe I just didn't find it!). They do have a photographer, though the pics don't seem quite as good as those taken at UCR days.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Christien
Race Car

Oh yeah, they also supply lunch - usually lasagna, chicken, salad and desert, plus pop and water.

Have you done UCR DEs before? If so, prepare yourself for a lot more track time, fewer people, less traffic, fewer rules (but no less safety, track support, etc.) and probably a bit more fatigue by the end of the day.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:55 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Only did the UCR DDE in April...in the snow! It was a lot of fun, except for the one instructor who called my C4S a pu$$y car because it has PSM, ABS and AWD...what a moron. He was so old school and rude that I got the impression that in his opinion, Porsche stopped building "real" cars after 1973!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Christien
Race Car

Well, the difference between a 73 and an 03 makes it hard to call them both cars, but there's no way a 996 is a ***** car!! The ride in the old cars is definitely slower, but it's also much more "real", if I can put it that way. It's louder, seems faster - the term I use is visceral. I've been around Mosport in many different cars - in a GT3 you can have a cup of coffee rounding turn 2, it's so comfortable. Ok, I'm being facetious, but you get the point! But the newer cars are definitely not ***** cars.

You're never going to set any lap records in older cars, but I would argue that they're more fun. Now, I've never actually driven a newer car at Mosport (except for a few laps in a Nissan 350Z), I've only been out as a passenger. So my opinion might change after Wednesday. My dad and I are going to trade off between his 996TT and C6 Corvette. I'd rather be driving my 911, but that's just not going to happen this week... So I'm really interested to see how it feels in more modern cars.

The "snowy" UCR DE at the DDC only had a few cars, didn't it? I've heard the DDC is a lot of fun, but nothing compares to the big track. It can be intimidating at first because speeds are so high - it took me probably a full season to get over the intimidation factor and start to really enjoy the track. Then I crashed and it took me another 3 or 4 DEs to really get my confidence back. That's what the BRG days did for me - early this season they had a full weekend, with 2 days of 45 minute lapping sessions. By the end of the 1st day I'd completely got my confidence back and by the end of the 2nd day my driving had improved more than it had the entire previous season.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:14 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

How bad was your crash?...
Old 09-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Christien
Race Car

I spun in turn 5b (tight, low speed right hander at the top of the track). I was oversteering, tried to correct but lost it, came around 180* and hit the inside concrete wall with the back left of the car at about 10 km/h. No damage other than cosmetic, which was really fortunate. I came really close to the rear left suspension contacting the wall, which would've doubled the repair bill, easily. I was able to drive the car home. That was also on street tires - I use R-compounds now.

Last edited by Christien; 02-04-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Christien
Race Car

I've seen plenty of crashes at Mosport, but never a single injury, so I wouldn't be too worried, especially with an instructor in the car. This happened without an instructor, and I'm positive it wouldn't have happened had I had an instructor in the car. I haven't been out solo since! Also, I've heard (can't confirm, though) that collision insurance will indeed cover you, though I'd imagine your ins. company will drop you after that! I did speak to an owner of a GT3 who had insurance cover the entire cost of the car after it was written off in a bad crash (not him driving it).
Old 09-19-2007, 09:38 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Default Great day!!

Just got back a little while ago from Mosport. Had a terrific time and I highly recommend BRG88: very relaxed attitude and small run groups. As a novice, I had 6 sessions of 30+ minutes. My instructor was great and really helped me work the track section by section with every outing and when I found the right rhythm, he just sat back and gave me a thumbs up to let me know I'd done it right. The way they schedule the run groups, you get a chance to debrief with your instructor, get a drink of water and then soon enough, you can apply what you've discussed back on the track. There isn't any sitting around...great value for the money.
And what can I say about the C4S?...wow, I had no idea what this car was capable of...it made me look better than I really am out there! I'm now a believer that anyone who buys a Porsche owes it to themselves to take it to the track at least once; driving it on public roads can't get close to the experience of letting it run in the safe and controlled environment of a track.
Yup, I'm now a track addict
Attached Images    
Old 09-19-2007, 11:38 PM
webbie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today is a perfect day for lapping. Good weather, temperature is just right. The run group is not packed either.

Highlight of the day, blew by the full race-prep vette. That car is so bloody fast. Checked mirror between 1 and 2, nothing in sight. By the time I enter 3, I heard some strange noise, check mirror, nothing. Look to the right, sure enough, it is there already. Usually I don't check mirror between 2 and 3 and now I should correct my "bad habit".

If I am not mistaken, today is accident free.

pongobaz: you were doing great out there, too bad we are not off the track at the same time. May be next time.

Quick Reply: Sept 19 Mosport trackday. Who's going?