Notices

Just a warning...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:08 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a warning...

There are Police out there with radar detector detectors. Just a warning and uhm, yeah I bet there will be more out Friday-Tuesday for this long weekend
Old 08-31-2007, 02:04 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by cleanme
There are Police out there with radar detector detectors. Just a warning and uhm, yeah I bet there will be more out Friday-Tuesday for this long weekend

old news... they can also detect you Radar Dector even if its not "pluged in"... yea not Powered... Happend to two of my friends on two seprate occations both on Hurontario...
Old 08-31-2007, 02:12 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Zookie, ok now you have peaked my interest. How is that possible to detect a radar detector that is not powered?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:13 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hoffa
Zookie, ok now you have peaked my interest. How is that possible to detect a radar detector that is not powered?

lol dont ask me, i have been suprised myself... i tell you the truth twice on 2 sperate occation
Old 08-31-2007, 02:53 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Was it visible on the dash/front windshield?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:55 PM
gteehan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bel Driver sti is undetectable - I drive by cops all the time with it.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:27 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
old news... they can also detect you Radar Dector even if its not "pluged in"... yea not Powered... Happend to two of my friends on two seprate occations both on Hurontario...

I don't see how that is possible.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Even if it were possible, as has been discussed on here, mere possession of a detector isn't illegal (if I'm not mistaken), it's only the use of the device.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:28 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Possession is illegal. Believe me I know.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:00 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nine11
Was it visible on the dash/front windshield?
on the second ocation it was in the "Glove Box" and yes Possession is Illegal in Ontario
Old 09-01-2007, 02:00 PM
ANDREW_D.
Advanced

I think possesion in Ontario is illegal unless it is in the original closed manufacturers container. This made it legal to manufacture and ship out of province in Ontario. I believe one of Mel Lastmans' wives owned the "fuzzbuster" company. Also I think the unpowered detector can only be uncovered by a suspicious cop on a fishing expedition. He probably intimidated the driver into admitting to possesion (occult of otherwise)
Old 09-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Zeeman28a
Racer

This is not a bad site to keep an eye on.

http://www.radardetector.net

Mostly American content with some Canadian throw in for the mix.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

According to Wiki:

A radar detector detector (RDD) is a device used by police in areas where radar detectors are declared illegal.

Because radar detectors are built around a superheterodyne receiver, which has a local oscillator that radiates slightly, it is possible to build a radar detector-detector which detects such emissions (usually the frequency of the radar type being detected, plus about 10 MHz for the intermediate frequency).

Some police radar guns are equipped with such a device. VG-2 Interceptor was the first device developed for this purpose, current technology uses the Spectre III (Stalcar in Australia). [1] This form of electronic warfare cuts both ways and since detector-detectors use a similar superheterodyne receiver, many early "stealth" radar detectors are equipped with a radar detector-detector-detector circuit, which shuts down the main radar receiver when the detector-detector's signal is sensed, thus preventing detection by such equipment. This technique borrows from ELINT surveillance countermeasures. In the early 1990s, BEL-Tronics, Inc. of Ontario, Canada (where radar detector use is prohibited) found that merely the local oscillator frequency of the detector could be modified out of the range of the VG-2 Interceptor. This resulted in a wave of detector manufacturers changing their local oscillator frequency. Today, practically every radar detector on the market is immune to the VG-2 Interceptor[citation needed].

The Spectre III detects every radar detector certified for operation in the United States by the Federal Communications Commission as of December 2004. Currently, the only radar detector able to defeat all radar detector detectors (RDD) is the Beltronics STI Driver. [1]

However, as radar detector detectors are based on the same principle, some radar detectors can detect the detector detectors, and shut down the primary receiver, evading detection by the police equipment.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

so obviously it is only a matter of time before the police have the radar dector dector dector detector ..and will require a reactor to power it ....
Old 09-01-2007, 07:37 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

oh and being detectable without being powered on > I guess if the police hit the crystal in the detector with enough juice to make it oscilate , they could detect it ..... and of course they will not be responsible for all of us getting cancer..

Quick Reply: Just a warning...