Notices

+ The tire thread +

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:45 PM
DANdeMAN
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AM993
Add 7% Duty on the Tirerack price and a bit of shipping, you are still way ahead of the game..
Doesn't UP**** hit you at the door with more hidden fees like brokerage by any chance!?
Old 06-15-2007, 10:52 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DANdeMAN
Doesn't UPShit hit you at the door with more hiden fees like brokerage by anychance!?
Hmm... You can appoint your preferred Customs broker if you do not want UPS to clear your shipment through Customs. But regardless, it is still worth it in the end.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

firstly you bever use them ... but Arnaud has an additional secret ...

any way Dan I think you will notice more wandering going to that much wider tire in front, but the fact you went from an outstanding tire to that crap tells a story too. S02s and S03s are outstanding, I went from RE 71s to S02s to s03s on my last car and a lot of tires will pail by comparison ... the next car I bought had RE730s on them ... for about a week ...
oh BTW i think the theory on the wandering with wider front tires has to to with the extra grip following deviations in the road and taking you for the ride until you correct.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:12 AM
DANdeMAN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by theiceman
firstly you bever use them ... but Arnaud has an additional secret ...
And what would that secret be?

any way Dan I think you will notice more wandering going to that much wider tire in front, but the fact you went from an outstanding tire to that crap tells a story too. S02s and S03s are outstanding, I went from RE 71s to S02s to s03s on my last car and a lot of tires will pail by comparison ... the next car I bought had RE730s on them ... for about a week ...
oh BTW i think the theory on the wandering with wider front tires has to to with the extra grip following deviations in the road and taking you for the ride until you correct.
I agree, I was spoiled with the Potenza's but I didn't know I was buying IMO trash.
I will most likely go back to 205/front. So far everything I have read on the BFG g-force is exellent (streering responce 9/10).
Old 06-16-2007, 01:45 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AM993
Considering the current exchange rates, I would go with Tirerack. I have done so a few month ago (group buy with Phil, total of 10 tires between the 2 of us) and it was super easy and super fast. We had the tires delivered to Auto Werks directly and installed there. Let me know whenever you are ready to order, I need to order 4 x new 235/35/19 for my souped-up VR6.
I'm down for that, speaking on my Dad's behalf hahaha! I think t he rears will be done in a month, I think the car has just under 14,000km on it. I think that's "decent" for those tires? So maybe another 1,000km is doable.

Off topic: What year/mods/etc VR6?! Those things are rockets!
Old 06-16-2007, 05:06 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

I have Fuzion 225x50-16 on the front great tire you can get them at Active Green Ross I think i paid 135 installed 2165 carling Ave. Carlingwood mall
I have no affilation with them.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:23 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cleanme
Off topic: What year/mods/etc VR6?! Those things are rockets!
Black/black (everything black...) 2004 VR6 almost stock....yeah right: VF Engineering Supercharger (Stage 2, with intercooler), custom headers, air intake, Remus exhaust, Tein/Eibach suspension, 19" TSW wheels, Neuspeed strut brace, chipped, blahblahblah... This thing would only need wings to take off. Once I replace the power steering pump (which died on me last week-end) and put new tires on, I will bring it to one our Saturday morning GTG, juts for a change.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:24 PM
PPo
Drifting

DANdeMan,

Before you go out and buy new tires, what exactly is the problem you are trying to solve? I glanced at your alignment thread and if I am correct you are complaining becuase your new tires tramline now. Well, if that is the case, going with a "better" tire may make the issue worse or not change it at all... The tire choice is one variable in the tramlining. What are your alignment specs? If you reduce the camber and castor up front you will reduce tramlining, but is that what you want? Wider tires may contribute to the problem, but it is a combination of width, grip, side wall flex, alignment, and worn bushings that affect tramlining. Did you check your thrust angle... your rear tires may be pushing you all over the road!

Bottom line is you need to get a baseline, first thing to do is to see your current alignment specs and figure out how far they are away from factory specs. Then adjust to factory specs if neccesary. (If you use your own specs, then none of this will help you.) Then look for worn parts, and replace anything questionable (ball joint, tie rod ends, shock/swaybar bushings etc.). Then play with your tire pressures in a range that makes sense. Also, make sure the tires you have are within the factory specs, if not then you are not using the car to it's proper design and the you really have to think about what you are doing. If alignment, tire size, and worn parts are all within factory specs, you should have a signifigant reduction in tramlining.

-Patrick
Old 06-17-2007, 09:41 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by DANdeMAN
Well, I will be testing my Sumi's at lower 40psi (I was running 48psi) for the next few days and see what happens.
Wha??? Are these hot or cold tire pressures??? Anything over 42psi hot is excessive for almost any tire...

My S03s tramline really bad, but I am running a *very* agressive alignment so I suspect it. I have had Firestone FZ50s, Toyo RA-1s, S02s, S03, and Fuzions... they all do the same thing!! I doubt that changing to a different tire will solve your problem...
Old 06-17-2007, 11:36 PM
DANdeMAN
Three Wheelin'

At the risk of repeating myself, I did not have that problem(eccesive tramlining) the way it is now. I just can't believe that my suspention dicided to go south the minute I changed tires. The tech(rennlist members recomended garage) didn't see/feel anything wrong when he test drove it BUT the test was made on a smooth surface not a bumpy one.

There is no problem with it on smooth pavement in a strait line but here in quebec that does not existe.There is alot of wegle with those tire, looks like weak sidewalls to me.

I had 205/50/17, now I have 225/45/17 , back is the same 255/40/17.
Can 20mmX2 front make such a difference? I don't know, but my car feels like a boat compared to when I had the SO2 and SO3.

Even my winter tires(that I used for fall and spring) have better handling than the Sumi's, can you believe that!? they are Goodyear MS 225/50/16 all around.

I will put back the Goodyear MS on front just to confirm or infirm my memories.

But believe me, I will find the problem/solution to this.
The only thing that (according to my eyes) might be the problem is toe-out, but the eyes are decieving sometimes....

I can't imagine going under 40psi with those tires, they are already mushy as it is.
I will try 38psi just for the fun of it....who knows, I'm no tire pressure expert.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:53 AM
DANdeMAN
Three Wheelin'

Old thread, interesting read lol

Well I finally got new tires... Got these. BFG KDW 225/17/45 255/17/40

Wow, talk about night and day... It's as if I have a new front end.

Nearly zero tramlining, very grippy... Not tested in rain yet; May never will.
But they are noizy... I can live with that.

I'm super happy with the purchase...
Old 07-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 392 Posts

So you drive in snow but not rain? 4 year old thread? And you got new tires.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:44 AM
DANdeMAN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Turbodan
So you drive in snow but not rain? 4 year old thread? And you got new tires.
You are mostly right....
Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

lol i was thinking the same thing .. thats a LOT of pre purchase research .. glad things worked out ..
Old 07-05-2011, 06:37 PM
DANdeMAN
Three Wheelin'

lol i was thinking the same thing .. thats a LOT of pre purchase research .. glad things worked out ..
lol Should of done it last year at least....

Quick Reply: + The tire thread +