Notices

So I had a discussion with a Porsche salesman at the Montreal car salon...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Inrev - The fact is that PCNA is hosing Canadian dealers. Dealer cost in Canada is way higher than in the US, and so are the retail prices. PCNA prices cars to our dealers as if the Canadian dollar was only worth 70 cents US.

The situation is bad for Canadian dealers. Leasing companies are bringing in cars from the US by the truckload. US dealers are advertising in local newspapers.

At the car show you pushed that sales guy's hot button. He has taken a large hit in his earnings through no fault of his own.

PCNA remains aloof to the problem. As a result, Canadian dealers have decided to:

Pay less for US cars at trade in;

Service their own customers first - which means than when the service bays are busy you will wait a long time for an appointment;

Offer no loaner vehicles to local owners of US cars;

No good will for local owners of US cars - those gray areas between warranty and no warranty that dealers will often pay for will not apply to a Canadian resident with a US car.

This problem is not unique to Porsche. Check the price spreads on other makes - much the same thing. Some brands (Toyota I think) will not honor the warranty on a US car in Canada unless the owner is a US resident.

In sum, you are entitled to be upset that it is far cheaper to import a Porsche from the USA. On the other hand, save your harsh words for PCNA and not the dealer who is being screwed worse than you are.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:00 PM
c4sss
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day's Globe and Mail talked about the new Cayenne and attributed a slight pricing decrease due to the strong dollar. Do you think Porsche will do this for all their models in the future?

"The 2008 Cayenne starts at $58,900 for the base V-6, $78,500 for the S, and $124,300 for the Turbo, all down 2 per cent from the 2006 model thanks largely to the stronger Canadian dollar, plus Porsche expects more to be spent on options like PDCC."
Old 01-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Canadian prices on all models have dropped a couple of points. US prices have gone up a few points. There is still a big gap.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts

Bob you may be right about the dealers taking it from PCNA but I stand by my comment on the salesguy, defenitely douche material. Hot button or no hot button.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Only rumour, but I've heard it the other way around, that PCNA are only answering to CDN dealer's requests. If CDN dealers are that upset, why haven't they come forward on the side of the customer? In an thread on the UCR forum which apparently DFC and Pfaff were monitoring, I openly suggested they send a rep to a UCR social and explain their official position to clear the air. Deafening silence.
(http://www.pcaucr.org/forum/post.jsp?postid=5246)

Even if the CDN dealers were furious at PCNA, why not explain it publicly and clear all the bad air? I've been completely turned off DFC and Pfaff in the way they've dealt with this issue. I've got a long life of Porsche purchases in front of me, and there's no way I'll shop at either of those places until their attitudes (and prices) change.

FWIW, PCNA were just as belligerent to me over the phone.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:37 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Christien
I've been completely turned off DFC and Pfaff in the way they've dealt with this issue. I've got a long life of Porsche purchases in front of me, and there's no way I'll shop at either of those places until their attitudes (and prices) change.
+1 I have experienced horrible service from both. I bet they don't care! I get better parts service at Napa!!

I now either get my dealer parts from Mark Motors in Ottawa or order from a dealer in the states...

cheers,
Patrick
Old 01-31-2007, 01:00 AM
Christien
Race Car

How has Mark Motors been? I was just thinking of the thread started in this forum a few weeks ago by the guy looking to have daytime running lights installed in a recently imported boxster, where the dealership in Vancouver quoted him $1000!!!! I'm not sure if that should be or
Old 01-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Ipecac
Advanced

How has Mark Motors been? I was just thinking of the thread started in this forum a few weeks ago by the guy looking to have daytime running lights installed in a recently imported boxster, where the dealership in Vancouver quoted him $1000!!!! I'm not sure if that should be or
Hi Christien -- that was me. MCL in Vancouver quoted $1000 for the DRL installation. 18 months ago, it was only $300-$400 (quoted from another Rennlister, and confirmed by the dealership when I phoned). Apparently, they know that the majority of DRL's are installed in imported cars, and thus, are obviously not too happy about it.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:14 PM
Christien
Race Car

There's just no excuse for customer "service" like trying to charge a grand for half an hour's labour and a relay. Hope you told them where to stick that estimate!

Love the avatar - memories of that fond moment when the car arrives
Old 01-31-2007, 07:38 PM
dvkk
Advanced

There's just no excuse for customer "service" like trying to charge a grand for half an hour's labour and a relay.
Install a couple of hidden cameras in your car, the TV news would love to expose that flagrant ripoff.

Quick Reply: So I had a discussion with a Porsche salesman at the Montreal car salon...