Notices

Refueling on the "wrong" side?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:35 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill N
I thought the placement of the fuel cap was so that the car could be fueled in the pits when it pulls in on a track that runs clockwise. As NASCAR run counterclockwise, many American cars (such as my Pontiac Grand Prix) have the filler on the left.
my 911 was designed to compete in NASCAR!?!
Old 11-14-2006, 09:42 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
How are gas prices in Ontario? Gas is at 91.4 today downtown MTL.
82.9 this AM on Reg. drops down to 73.5 after 20:00 hrs ..... 91 octane about 84.3 ...
Old 11-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

78.9 for regular this morning in Cambridge.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:21 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Imo000
New jerswey is the same way.

Did you ever notice that 99% of the gas pumps in Ontario don't have the little tab below the triger to hold the trigger open? You have to manually hold it to fill the tank or you can use the gas cap to prop the triger open (I know the proppoing is illegal in NY state).
I shove my wallet in there to prop it open. Gas cap tends to pop out.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:34 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

Well a few trhings

my hockey stick Avatat will return next spring .

The 5% of stations that still have the props for self serve should not. Mechanically holding the lever open is dangerous and I do think not allowed. I have seen several signs to this effect in gas stations. This is why I do it with my back to the camera as they have turned the pump off before on me.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:37 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Well a few trhings

my hockey stick Avatat will return next spring .

The 5% of stations that still have the props for self serve should not. Mechanically holding the lever open is dangerous and I do think not allowed. I have seen several signs to this effect in gas stations. This is why I do it with my back to the camera as they have turned the pump off before on me.
Hehehe... I got a warning in the past too.

I don't see how holding it with your hand is that much safer since most full serve stations nozels have the tab to mechanicaly hold the triger open. As soon as fuel hits the tip of the nozle the triger disengages, regardless of what's holding it.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:39 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe they're worried about the nozzle falling out of the filler. Who knows?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:51 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was standing filling my car up when I watched a lady set the pump to fill then get into her car. After a bit ,her tank filled up and the trigger did not disengage. I had to run over and smack the pump handle to get it to stop. Gas was everywhere. She just slowly got out of her truck and said nothing. I can see why they don't want people to leave the pumps alone. The world is making it easier to let the idiots last longer. "Pot hole, Ice on sidewalk, look for traffic when crossing road., contents of drink are extremely hot, don't eat the silica packet with your electronics, do not stick hands in thresher. etc. etc... They should start taking the signs down and thin the herd a little.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:27 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stan944
speaking of silly laws: I used to live in Washington State, and would often drive to Oregon. It turns out it is illegal in Oregon (or was at that time?) for a driver to pump gas him/herself !!! Only a gas station attendant is allowed to do it.
The city of Richmond BC has that law . No selfserve gas station . Needless to say I never buy gas there . This is major city too but I can understand why , I would say why but someone may say I am racist (which I `m not ) , people actually have bumper stickers which say "I survived a drive through Richmond " Overwellming amount of dump drivers . The discription of one typical driver , minority female wearing a welding shield and white gloves driving a mercedes they call those "aunties "
Old 11-15-2006, 05:50 AM
skruggs964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

77.7 cents per litre in Calgary.....
Old 11-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Scooter
Instructor

I'm calling BS on this too. I asked a gas station attendant once why they shortened the hoses in new gas stations and he said it was because they were getting sued by people claiming the hose damaged their paint when they stretched it across the car. Now I laugh when people line up for a gas pump because it's on "their side" when they could easily just reverse into the spot. But since most drivers are so bad that they can't reverse into a spot without hitting anything, I guess it's better that they line up.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Scooter
But since most drivers are so bad that they can't reverse into a spot without hitting anything, I guess it's better that they line up.
It's not a matter of being good or bad driver. When there is a line of cars, there is usually little room to reverse, especially with the long turning radius of a 944. Besides, when you do this sort of moves, other drivers try to cut you off. So you either aggressively not let them (which may lead to being hit), or let them do it, but this doesn't feel too good.
In any case, and considering that Brad doesn't read this forum any more, it appears that there is nobody to say pumping "on the wrong side" is illegal. Good!
Old 11-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

And I thought the gas filler was on the passenger side to accomodate the RHD cars in Europe. The one I liked best was the "for filling in the pits" one and the most sensible, to me, was the "for roadside filling". Someone should write Porsche and say "WHY?". My .02.

Lanny
Old 11-16-2006, 12:42 PM
951North
Pro

Originally Posted by Lanny Curlett
And I thought the gas filler was on the passenger side to accomodate the RHD cars in Europe. The one I liked best was the "for filling in the pits" one and the most sensible, to me, was the "for roadside filling". Someone should write Porsche and say "WHY?". My .02.

Lanny
I don't know why, but in my experience, all european cars have filler caps on the RHS
Old 11-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

It's not unique to Porsche, my PT Cruiser has it on the right side also, and from memory, my Stratus also had it on the right side. There is no right or wrong side!!

Quick Reply: Refueling on the "wrong" side?