Putting car away when?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 01:54 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob D..
Put it away yesterday, after going to the GTG at Starbucks, warming it up, washing it, changing the oil, and doing a leak-down check.
1500KM since the rebuild, and only one little oil leak (the big fitting on the side of the case above the heat exchanger). Leakdown results are excellent, so the rings have seated well.
Winter projects include fixing the front fiberglass and incorporating better brake ducts, and sending the ECU to Steve Wong to reprogram using the results of the dyno work I did a couple weeks ago. And, of course a bunch of liitle mainly cosmetic things.

Bob
Congrats! The break-in period is always intense!
Old 11-19-2006, 08:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,027 Likes on 731 Posts

Well she is done .... washed her today ( arms nearly fell off with cold ) .. took her on a nice long run, vacuumed it out , treated the vinyl and rubber, put my plywood and cardboard on the garage floor, pumped up te tires , disconnected the battery and put the cover on ... really done this time.

although I leave the insurance on ..... ya just never know....
Old 11-19-2006, 08:30 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=911 Rod]I took #6 from Washago to Gravenhurst and then Sands road to Bracebridge.[QUOTE]

Is Sands Rd aka Muskoka Beach Rd or #17? I'm thinking about playing hookey Thurs if the weather is as nice as promised & going for a drive.

Ian
Old 11-20-2006, 01:45 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

[QUOTE=imcarthur][QUOTE=911 Rod]I took #6 from Washago to Gravenhurst and then Sands road to Bracebridge.

Is Sands Rd aka Muskoka Beach Rd or #17? I'm thinking about playing hookey Thurs if the weather is as nice as promised & going for a drive.

Ian
Ian,
Email me and I'll give the "long way" to get there.
Rod
Old 11-22-2006, 09:42 PM
joe@usd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine is stored since 2 weeks already...

battery off, fuel tank full and added a stabillizer, washed inside out, but didn't waxed tho...

i forgot the pump the tires, i suppose i'll leave them this way for this year... anyways i need to change the tires next season

i also didn't treat the leather, you guys think i risk the seats and dash to crack during winter?
Old 11-22-2006, 10:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

treating never hurts.

okay so who is getting it back out this weekend :-)
Old 11-22-2006, 11:37 PM
chicos
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is away. Salt is on the road in Uxbridge and I detailed it and it is in the garage.

Spring, come quick!!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:39 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Well i DO have insurance .......
Old 11-23-2006, 10:14 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Well i DO have insurance .......
Time to pull it out: the weather forecast is great! See you on Saturday morning then...
Old 11-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is still on the road till next weekend.

My routine is:

- to change the oil/filter and add fuel stabilizer to the tank. Since mine is plastic I only leave a 1/4 tank and refill when I pull it out.
- undercarriage wash as well as a good vacuum inside, (I get Porsche rustproofing sprayed underneath from my friends P-Car garage HPCARS)
- raise the tire pressure,
- lay down 2" styrofoam and drive up onto these, stops the tires from getting a flat spot. If I jacked it up and placed it on stands the car may warp. Also the suspension needs to be weighted.
- remove battery and leave the windows down a 1/2 inch,
- hang a volcanic rock deodorizer off the rear view mirror (Lee Valley Tools sells them)
- cover car

Dream of springtime ......
Old 11-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by AM993
Time to pull it out: the weather forecast is great! See you on Saturday morning then...
I'll be there as well ....
Old 11-23-2006, 07:04 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Maybe it's because I'm a newbie to Toronto (been here 2 years), but it doesn't really seem to snow enough to put the car away. I live downtown and the furthest I drive is up to Richmond Hill so I keep the car insured all year long; as long as there is no salt on the road, I drive the 993 Turbo. Turbos love the cool air so it's a blast, just need to be careful of the cold tires.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:54 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

I drove mine today with the windows down. What a blast! I intend to drive her at least three times this week, fill her right up, add stabilizer, then wash her, inflat, drive on some carboard, trickle charger, lower the windows a touch and throw the cover over her... for now. For sure I will rewax her over the winter....

Since I only have a single garage... I thought of getting a small car port (Tempo) and install it in my backyard, and store the Porsche in that... but... I could not find a soul that had any experience doing something similar....

Anybody?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:23 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike

I've thought of the same thing. I have off-site storage with my bro-in-law - for now. If that changes, I will get one of the $600 - 700 portable garages & put a big gate in the rear fence since I back onto a road & I can't bring the car down the side of the house anyway. Lay plastic underneath & seal it to the structure for rodent prevention. Then ventilate with a cheap, quiet fan to control moisture.

Maybe one of these days . . .

Ian
Old 11-27-2006, 01:02 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

13 C today going to 17 C on Thursday...uhmm, why did you guys put your cars away? Driving around with the windows down and sunroof open today; might even wax the car later. The only salt I've seen so far is on fish n'chips! Sorry but I had to torture you guys a bit!

PS:apologies to those of you in Vancouver shovelling snow and boiling drinking water.

Quick Reply: Putting car away when?