Insurance coverage for DEs

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:43 PM
PierreTT
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Insurance coverage for DEs

Those of you who are going to DE sometimes,

I just called my new insurance cie and they told me that I wont be covered for my DE weekend. I'm surpirsed since my last insurance cie was covering that kind of sessions (not a race and no chrono).

I'm thinking about switching back to my old insurance cie. Are you aware of this? Any toughts or suggestions?

Thanks for your input
Pierre
Old 07-31-2006, 05:49 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

I think the general rule is we don't tell them.
Don't be surprised if they cancel your insurance.
Apparently they have to cover you.
I was told a claim has never been denied at an UCR DE. This is why they cancel you before hand.
But I'm not an expert.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:54 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quebec is different from Ontario.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:10 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Rod, are you referring to a collision claim, or a liability claim? As I understand it, they can't (by law) deny a liability claim, but that would be really good to know that there's a good track record (pun intended?) with damage claims. Personally, I assume that any damage I do to my car will be fixed out of pocket - I have to be prepared to write my car off. For what I'm driving, that's harder to do emotionally than financially, but would suck either way. When I hit the wall at Mosport last month I never considered putting it through insurance. It was only a $2K repair job, and I'm sure they would've cancelled my policy.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

only 2K ? what was it a stone chip fixed at Gibsons ? :-)
Old 08-01-2006, 09:59 AM
PierreTT
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

Humm... I dont think they can decide to cancel like that but I'm not a lawyer. I've read my contract and nothing seems to prevent Driver Education as long as its not a race or a speed event... I guess it comes down to the definition of "speed event"....

PS
Old 08-01-2006, 10:41 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

The statement I made regarding never denying a claim came from the track chair at our last event. No details. I believe liability belongs to the club. This is why their insurance is so high.
As far bas I can see, insurance companies do what they want and then you have to fight them.
Ya I would not claim $2K on the track or the street. My deductable is $1K.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:59 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Ive had friends have their cars, which were written off on the track, covered.

You need to review your policy wording.

Historically policies have said something like this:

"No coverage during or in preparation for a speed (timed) event".

If you dont ever have a watch on you, you SHOULD be covered on a track. Your company may decline the claim initially, but friends of mine have been successful in getting the full value for their written off cars out of them.

Personally, Im not sure Id make the claim if the damage was under $25kish. The chance that they drop you is there, and then what?

I would also not call your company and say that youre going to the track and you want to know the wording of your policy regarding coverage. I would call and request your policy for your records and figure it out yourself. If you tell them before the fact, you could be hit over the head with an ammended policy/ammended rates, etc...
Old 08-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Christien
Race Car

Rod: thanks for clarifying.

Originally Posted by BioBanker
I would also not call your company and say that youre going to the track and you want to know the wording of your policy regarding coverage.
Yep, I would agree with this. I'd never tell them I was at the track. I think they have a special warning bell in the office for that

Before and after:
Old 08-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I buy track insurance from these guys - I have never asked my regular insurance company if they cover me (for fear of setting off alarm flags on my account) but, if they don't, I am covered anyway.

Marc
Old 08-01-2006, 12:11 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Marc - what is their coverage record since the fine print says they are fully not backed up by the regualr insurance industry that protects the client in case the insurer goes **** up.
As I recall, David Empringham was setting up a similar high deductable DE policy.
I pretty interested in having back up insurance.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Almost all polices exclude coverage for 'speed events'. The normal test of a 'speed event' is timing. Many regions prohibit timing for this reason. We do not want Driver Education to be confused with racing or a speed event.

Some policies excliude coverage if an acident is not on a public road. This was designed to reduce claims from off-roaders apparently but also affects DE.

Unless your policy has wording which would exclude DE and the events you attend are untimed, I speculate that a claim would be honored.

FWIW I have done 20-30 DE days per year for 15 years without ever putting a scratch on my car. I don't rate a well organized DE as a high risk activity.

Best,
Old 08-01-2006, 12:53 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Thanks...I agree - my car gets all its chips on the way to&from on the 401!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Christien
Race Car

Marc, what are Laurel's premiums like? I would guess it would be based on experience, value of car, etc. but with a $5K/15% deductible, I would think the premiums would be fairly reasonable.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Marc, what are Laurel's premiums like? I would guess it would be based on experience, value of car, etc. but with a $5K/15% deductible, I would think the premiums would be fairly reasonable.
I could not find the 2006 rates but below are the 2005 rates.

The rates are not based on experience but solely on value of the car and number of track events. It is not cheap through.

As has been mentioned by Bob already, a well run DE is very safe but my feeling is that "things happen" and, like many others, I can't afford to go buy a new car if I wreck this one and my insurance won't pay.

Marc
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Insurance coverage for DEs