Notices

GTG in the GTA 10am Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry I didn't make it guys. No brakes today - I was working on replacing the soft brake lines, and of course f@#ked everything up beyond belief. Why does it seem that even when I follow instructions, take great care in my work, have lots of patience, make a special trip even to buy the right tools, I still f@#k it up? So the old girl's on jackstands until I cool down a bit and order some new hard brake lines...
Old 08-19-2006, 05:05 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christien
Why does it seem that even . . . I still f@#k it up?
Rest assured, you are not alone.

Which hard line? The short one from caliper to flex?

Ian
Old 08-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

both on the right, caliper to flex on the left. #$%^&
Old 08-19-2006, 06:01 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by AM993
It was nice to see you guys this morning, and also nice to see a F-430 in the flesh. Now I need to tell you my saga returning home: after barely starting my engine (low battery?) I drove half a mile and the red exclamation warning light mark comes up on the dashboard. No other orange or red light, oil pressure and temperature OK, I decide to turn around and stop by Refined Motorsport, just around the corner to check what's going on. No luck, it's closed. I turn off the red exclamation mark warning light and decide to proceed carefully back home. Maybe the warning light came on because the battery is low (after the car spent 4 days at Autowerks for suspension work, maybe the doors or hood were left open and the inside lights drained the battery). I made it back home OK, but my rear blower fan (designed for cabin heating purposes and engine cooling on very hot days after engine shut-down) is running at max speed after I shut down the engine (you guys noticed when I arrived this morning that it ran for almost 20 minutes, which happened only once to me in Houston on a 42 degrees day after sitting in traffic for 20 minutes... not really the case today, but it drained my battery enough to give me a hard time starting the engine). Anyway, I am puzzled and open the engine lid to take a closer look. Everything looks OK, except one sensor on top of the fresh air intake (leading to the blower) which seems to be missing its rubber protection (because it is directly under the spoiler grill and therefore is exposed to rain). I pulled a photo of my engine bay that I took a few weeks ago after I had cleaned my engine and compare: definitely, it is not the same sensor. Time for the torch to come out. After fiddling for a few seconds under the fresh air intake, I found the correct sensor, hanging in the air. But now I am stuck because I found the correct sensor but I have now the "incorrect" sensor hanging in the air and I do not know where it plugs!!! Looks like the guys at Autowerks messed up with a couple of sensors. It makes me also realize that these cars have lots of them, and I can only imagine what it is in more modern cars. Anyway, I will be back to Autowerks on Monday and I am sure that it will take them 2 seconds to fix this. A bit annoying though...
Sorry to hear about that, but it's good to know it's probably a quickie fix. I'm sure Autowerks will be embarrased about it and get it sorted out quickly for you.
See ya next week!
Old 08-19-2006, 07:48 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

It was nice to see you guys this morning, and also nice to see a F-430 in the flesh. Now I need to tell you my saga returning home: after barely starting my engine (low battery?) I drove half a mile and the red exclamation warning light mark comes up on the dashboard. No other orange or red light, oil pressure and temperature OK, I decide to turn around and stop by Refined Motorsport, just around the corner to check what's going on. No luck, it's closed. I turn off the red exclamation mark warning light and decide to proceed carefully back home. Maybe the warning light came on because the battery is low (after the car spent 4 days at Autowerks for suspension work, maybe the doors or hood were left open and the inside lights drained the battery). I made it back home OK, but my rear blower fan (designed for cabin heating purposes and engine cooling on very hot days after engine shut-down) is running at max speed after I shut down the engine (you guys noticed when I arrived this morning that it ran for almost 20 minutes, which happened only once to me in Houston on a 42 degrees day after sitting in traffic for 20 minutes... not really the case today, but it drained my battery enough to give me a hard time starting the engine). Anyway, I am puzzled and open the engine lid to take a closer look. Everything looks OK, except one sensor on top of the fresh air intake (leading to the blower) which seems to be missing its rubber protection (because it is directly under the spoiler grill and therefore is exposed to rain). I pulled a photo of my engine bay that I took a few weeks ago after I had cleaned my engine and compare: definitely, it is not the same sensor. Time for the torch to come out. After fiddling for a few seconds under the fresh air intake, I found the correct sensor, hanging in the air. But now I am stuck because I found the correct sensor but I have now the "incorrect" sensor hanging in the air and I do not know where it plugs!!! Looks like the guys at Autowerks messed up with a couple of sensors. It makes me also realize that these cars have lots of them, and I can only imagine what it is in more modern cars. Anyway, I will be back to Autowerks on Monday and I am sure that it will take them 2 seconds to fix this. A bit annoying though...
easy there accusing autowerks...why would they touch your sensors if they were doin suspension work???????
Old 08-19-2006, 08:09 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Same question I asked myself, but after looking closely, some sensors (and the electric cables leading to the sensors) and in the way to access the top of the rear suspension in a 993. I assume that as a precaution, they disconnected the most prominent sensors and cables to clear the path for the tools.
And just to show you what I am talking about, I took a photo: the "incorrect" sensor is connected to the top of the intake (you can see the red cables coming out), the correct sensor (which should be connected to thed intake) is the one I am holding (it has rubber insulation to protect from the rain dripping from the spoiler grill). The cables that you can see on the left of the intake, further back are more sensors. And all the way behind them, you can see the top of the suspension bolted to the frame.
Now if you can tell me where the "incorrect" connector goes, that would help and save me a trip to Autowerks. Many thanks in advance.
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arnaud, u think that's bad. Our track day was completly drenched so no one was there (no ******* for me ) and we got soaked. only good thing was we pretty much had the track to ourselves. Jim 7 came with us to turn a few laps.

Now, on the way home i got 3 tickets, two of which were for not having my lisence on me because all i needed to do was drive the 2 kilometers from my house to my friends house to drop him off. ARGH!!! Just when my lisence was clean too!!! And the worst part was...didn't get pulled over in the porsche...just my old protege 5.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:55 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Same question I asked myself, but after looking closely, some sensors (and the electric cables leading to the sensors) and in the way to access the top of the rear suspension in a 993. I assume that as a precaution, they disconnected the most prominent sensors and cables to clear the path for the tools.
And just to show you what I am talking about, I took a photo: the "incorrect" sensor is connected to the top of the intake (you can see the red cables coming out), the correct sensor (which should be connected to thed intake) is the one I am holding (it has rubber insulation to protect from the rain dripping from the spoiler grill). The cables that you can see on the left of the intake, further back are more sensors. And all the way behind them, you can see the top of the suspension bolted to the frame.
Now if you can tell me where the "incorrect" connector goes, that would help and save me a trip to Autowerks. Many thanks in advance.
cant help you unfortunately. do you know courtneys cell phone? if not pm me and i can give it to you. or try the shop he is there on sundays sometimes
Old 08-22-2006, 07:42 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

what was the fix??
Old 08-22-2006, 09:14 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

AUTOWERKS reconnected the correct sensor and the tech spent half an hour on the computer, reading electrical drawings in order to figure out where the "incorrect" sensor plugs. After that, he said that it does not connect anywhere, which I found strange. But he said that it is not unusual on these cars to have prewiring for optional equipment and/or generic wiring harnesses that fit different models/different markets and therefore all the connectors are not necessary plugged. I trust the guy, and my car is now running normally (no more vaccum cleaner running in he back and no more warning light on the dashboard). Of course AUTOWERKS apologized for the inconvenience and gave me a set of new 18" Techart wheels as a compensation... or maybe I dreamt that...
Old 08-23-2006, 03:22 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great - I am glad they took care of that.
Interesting, last time I got an oil change they gave me a fresh set of MPSC's and set of 19" streets on 19" Champion Monolites - you must have pissed them off.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:31 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

No wonder they quoted me $4,000.00 for an oil change... Now I realize that it's a good deal
Old 08-23-2006, 06:24 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LastGT3
That's great - I am glad they took care of that.
Interesting, last time I got an oil change they gave me a fresh set of MPSC's and set of 19" streets on 19" Champion Monolites - you must have pissed them off.
Man! All I got from Pfaff was a sh$tty TrialBlazer for 2 days and attitude! Going to Autowerks next time; maybe they'll throw in a free X51 upgrade!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

i have recived great service from Pfaff too, wierd. Maybe coz you have a US car? Anyways Autowerks is great too, got my suspension done there.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:38 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Man! All I got from Pfaff was a sh$tty TrialBlazer for 2 days and attitude! Going to Autowerks next time; maybe they'll throw in a free X51 upgrade!

all i got was a reach around

Quick Reply: GTG in the GTA 10am Saturday