Notices

1983 SC Targa

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 02:13 AM
Rob951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1983 SC Targa

So I'm looking for a 911. 80's. Prefer an '85 to '89, but may settle for earlier if it's a good deal. I check the usual suspects on a regular basis to find the right V. Last week I notice a local dealership selling an '83 SC, burgundy, no leather, heated seats???? (they weren't), low miles...$19,900. I figure, worth a look. Today I drive it. Not bad, not great. Nothing on my 951, but I'm not expecting it to out preform that. Upon a close look at the car, I notice it's going to need the updated headlights (H4's), the Targa top will need to be re-sealed, inside door panel needs to be re-attached to the door, needs new sun visors, it's the original casette deck... And I know nothing about the engine yet!! So I figure I'm looking at about $3K just to get the car looking better.
The sales guy was great. But then I talk to the lot manager (or similar title), and he explains a bit of the history, and that the car was just re-sprayed (& it does look good). I then ask about the flexibility of the price. And my experience goes south. The manager doesn't want to talk numbers. He wants to pen the deal, have me leave a deposit, and only then, we'll negotiate. Uh-huh. I talke a breath. I calmly explain, no. I will think about my experience with the car thus far. If I go further, I'll have my technicians examine the car. This'll cost me 'bout $100. That's my deposit, end of story. He then said that 'there is room for a bit of negotiation' rather patronizingly.
I can't stand sales guys like this!! Most are like this at the management level. Pisses me off. What about this do they think makes ppl want to buy a car from them?? I feel 'I'm not here to waste your time, don't waste mine!!' I wanna say, 'I know I'm young, but see that car in the customer parking lot?? That's my current Porsche. I've bought one before, & I kinda wanna do it again. I am serious. What will you part with this far from perfect car for, and, if you attempt to insult my intelligence & say any where near twenty grand again - like I'm some idiot that has no clue what I'm talking about and is just mesmerized by that sexy emblem on the hood - I'll be about a twenty cent cab ride away from knockin' the taste outta your mouth.'
So, my question to you is, what now??
I wasn't blown away by my short drive in it. But, I do like the colour. And it could be an acceptable car. I don't hate the price; which in my mind is gonna be far lower. But then I will have to drop another $3K anyway.
I'm thinking hold out. But just out of curiosity, what would all 'yall pay in cdn funds for an SC as described (my research suggests between $15K-$17K), providing the engine is fine?? I wanna go back with a price before I part with my $100 for the inspection just to see where we sit. Let me know your thoughts, and thanks for letting me rant.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:32 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Hi Rob.....!!

I think I know that car actually......click on my banner and give me a call. Here's my two cents on the lower end Porsche marketplace......there are normally no "great" 911's under $20K for sale.........for if they were truly really good cars they usually wouldn't be for sale (unusual circumstances excepted of course).

Really nice SC's will fetch $20-25K...........cars with serious deferred maintenance and cosmetic issues sell for what you want to pay............experience has taught me to wait for the nicer car and pay a bit more rather than trying to make lemonade from a lemon...........and ending up financially buried in a car that is not worth what you have into it, or is as marketable later on as something newer and nicer. That is the reason I have a rule that I don't usually do cars older than 1984. They are economically unfeasible to purchase correctly, recondition properly, and resell easily.

You can negotiate from a position of strength with a completed PPI from a reputable shop. Anything beforehand is a waste of their time and yours.

Asking them, me, or anyone else in the business what we will take for a car gets you nowhere. It is up to you to make a firm offer backed by a deposit if you want to own the car after the PPI is finished.......they have said they want "x"......the ball is in your court to tell them why they should accept your offer of "z".

Best of luck..........

Last edited by YYC930; 12-24-2005 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Rob,

Like YYC930 said, take your time and find the right car and you'll be very happy you did..It took me over a year to find mine and i got the exact car I was looking for...

Good luck in your search...

Old 12-25-2005, 07:35 PM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Import one... USD/CAD @ $0.86... can't go wrong!

Last edited by thedyingiraffe; 12-25-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:55 PM
skruggs964
Pro

YYC930....Keith...is that you?! I was in your showroom about a month or so ago drooling over that red 964 you have with 22,000 original clicks! Man...that is one sweet car! I'm hoping late spring I'll be in the market for a 993 Cabrio....I'll be coming in to see you!
Old 12-25-2005, 11:25 PM
skruggs964
Pro

Hmmm.....it wouldn't be this one by chance, would it?!

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/d...1&pgno=1&srt=1
Old 12-25-2005, 11:29 PM
skruggs964
Pro

The interesting thing is I may have test drove this car about 3 years ago from a private seller...assuming it's the same car (which I think it is) they were asking $20k way back then....
Old 12-26-2005, 12:53 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Hi Skruggs......yeah it's me.....!! How you been anyways ? Busy I hope.....

That Targa has to be the car that was in our shop a while back.......mechanically it's not too bad for an older car (needed $3K of misc stuff).........but cosmetically it was a P.O.S........I gave the guy a phone number of a shop that would do a cheap splash job on the body as well as some other information so he could at least "fluff it up" for resale......which it looks like he did.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Rob951
Advanced

Yeah that's the car. The exterior is quite decent but the interior does need a bit of TLC, not too much though, which makes it seem like not too bad of a deal. But after thinking about it for a few days I think you're right. I'll drop $25K or a bit more for the car I want instead of settling for 'a good deal'. Like I said, I was not blown away by driving it and I am more satisfied driving my 951. Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:46 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

FWIW our shop just did a pre-purchase inspection on this car today..................it needs about $12K to make it right mechanically..............broken head studs......oil leaks......pads/rotors.......etc......etc.....
Old 01-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Rob951
Advanced

I was wondering what it needed. I knew it wasn't in good shape, but I didn't think it'd need that much work!! I had already written it off in my mind but thanks for letting me know how much work was needed.

Quick Reply: 1983 SC Targa