Notices

Whcih dealers will sell to Canada near Toronto?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Mindcore
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whcih dealers will sell to Canada near Toronto?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to find a recomended dealer who will sell a car for import to Canada.

I've tried a couple over the boarder, I need something near Toronto, and they've all shoot me down.

Looking for an 06 911 S

3 so far have said that they are not allowed to sell to me. Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike
Old 11-15-2005, 04:09 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,
I'm assuming this is a "new" car you are after.

I think you are SOL as exporting can really spoil the dealer/manufacturer relationship - particulairly if the Canadian dealer gets wind of what the US dealer is doing - selling into their market.

With the dollar so strong I can appreciate the incentive. I just imported a 993 myself.

My advice would be to call Porsche HO and see what they determine to be a "used" car. Most are 12 months and / or a specific number of miles. This will circumvent the challenges you're having with the dealers and, if memory serves correct, you won't void your warranty either.

If you can live with a car with some miles on it, you might find yourself a good deal.
Happy hunting.
Bob
Old 11-15-2005, 09:25 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Mindcore
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to find a recomended dealer who will sell a car for import to Canada.

I've tried a couple over the boarder, I need something near Toronto, and they've all shoot me down.

Looking for an 06 911 S

3 so far have said that they are not allowed to sell to me. Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

whats the savings once you get it here?? not worth it i bet. see tom neumann at pfaff and do a deal. i just bought an 06 S off him. i can help you get a better deal. PM me
Old 11-16-2005, 02:35 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

There can be some decent deals to be had. For example, there is an 05 997S at Porsche of Naples with 9K miles that can be had for 80K U.S. Seal Grey on black w/ heated seats, power seat pkg. met. paint, coloured wheel crests and bose sound. This car retailed for $137,195 CDN in 05 plus air tax and other taxes.

Here's the math
80K U.S. = $95,321,28 CDN
Duty at 6.1% on the CDN funds = $5814.60
So far we're at $101,135.88
R.I.V. fee is about $200
Shipping from Naples to T.O. in covered carrier is $1100 CDN
Modfications for CDN Market = $300 (DRL relay, french air bag stickers and a child seat bolt)
Grand total = $102,735 plus air tax and taxes
Savings from new MSRP = $34,459.12 (for 9K miles and one year dep'n)

As a point of reference Pfaff has a narrow body 997 with 19,000 km's in Guards red with comparable $ in options they are asking $99,900 for. This car had an MSRP that was $28,500 lower than the "S" version.

If a "little" used is a consideration, then it would pay to investigate. But if new is your preference - buy local - there aren't many options.
cheers,
Bob
Old 11-16-2005, 09:17 PM
STAR57
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How hard would it be for you to get a New York drivers licence.... if you are paying cash they dont need to know that you are a Canadian Heh.
FF
Old 11-17-2005, 10:14 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STAR57
How hard would it be for you to get a New York drivers licence.... if you are paying cash they dont need to know that you are a Canadian Heh.
FF
Good luck. They'll want your Canadian driver's license first and then 3 proofs of NY address with your name on them. Utility bills or bank statements. How do I know?? I used to live in NYC and had to do this to get my license. Nightmare!!
Old 11-17-2005, 02:45 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

In addition to the Duty, would you not also have to pay GST/PST?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088
In addition to the Duty, would you not also have to pay GST/PST?
Yeah, but it's irrelevant since you have to pay both at the stealer (unless you have a trade) in which case you just use one of the many high-end guys around tdot.

I imported a pcar a couple months ago and saved about 15k.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:37 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

Oh, my bad...

I thought the example above (Pfaff pricing) included the tax, but now, reading more carefully, I see that it does not.

Thanks!

(Definitely attractive with our current exchange rates...)
Old 11-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Avia2
Advanced

Default Buying in Canada isn't so Bad...

A lot of people look at the numbers and they seem like a great deal. And if it is numbers alone that matter, go for it! What you're missing out on is the dealership experience and service that comes with it. I know that Pfaff nor our dealership will bend over backwards for US customers. What many also don't realize is US cars are worth 10%+ less when you sell them in the future. So if all you have is X dollars and that buys you the same car in USA for 10% less, understand that they will depreciate at the same rate and you'll get 10% less on resale. Other negatives are you can't do a PFS lease or finance, Porsche dealers won't take your car on trade for retail, only wholesale, so you'll get strictly a wholesale number that can be a lot less than you think. If you're seriously interested in buying a new C2S let me know and I'll assist you in a great deal.

Last edited by Avia2; 11-17-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:58 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Avia2
A lot of people look at the numbers and they seem like a great deal. And if it is numbers alone that matter, go for it! What you're missing out on is the dealership experience and service that comes with it. I know that Pfaff nor our dealership will bend over backwards for US customers. What many also don't realize is US cars are worth 10%+ less when you sell them in the future. So if all you have is X dollars and that buys you the same car in USA for 10% less, understand that they will depreciate at the same rate and you'll get 10% less on resale. Other negatives are you can't do a PFS lease or finance, Porsche dealers won't take your car on trade for retail, only wholesale, so you'll get strictly a wholesale number that can be a lot less than you think. If you're seriously interested in buying a new C2S let me know and I'll assist you in a great deal.
Take the extra cash and put it in the bank. EArn interest on it. When you're ready to sell, take a look at what you'll get here and also try to sell it back to the US. You'll still be up.

As for dealers here not caring about you, there are enough people in this town that want your business that if Pfaff or DFC don't care, there's Fiorano, Gtek, etc. that will bend over backwards for your business. I don't even bother taking my car to Pfaff, although would have no problem buying a car from them (I bought 2 in the past).

Don't let anyone tell you that you're not going to be able to get service here (if you're in Toronto). You'll get all the service you need.

And as I said, take the extra money and stick it in the bank....or better yet, go short income trusts!
Old 11-17-2005, 11:47 PM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts

I think were also talking about a bit more than 10%, more like 25% +.
So according to the '10% rule' , you would still be up 15%.
With any luck our dollar will be trading at 90 cents next spring so you might even do better.
There's some realy good deals in the classifieds for both 997's and 996C4S'....

As for a canadian dealer not bending over backwards for US customers. I still don't get this. Why not give them excellent service: makes the client very happy so next time he buys a car, he might do it at your dealership? No, you would rather **** him off so he has his service done somewhere else and lose a possible customer forever. Yeah, that just makes a lot of sense.

Good luck

Last edited by KrisKringle; 11-18-2005 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Avia2
Advanced

Originally Posted by fryd
Take the extra cash and put it in the bank. EArn interest on it. When you're ready to sell, take a look at what you'll get here and also try to sell it back to the US. You'll still be up.

As for dealers here not caring about you, there are enough people in this town that want your business that if Pfaff or DFC don't care, there's Fiorano, Gtek, etc. that will bend over backwards for your business. I don't even bother taking my car to Pfaff, although would have no problem buying a car from them (I bought 2 in the past).

Don't let anyone tell you that you're not going to be able to get service here (if you're in Toronto). You'll get all the service you need.

And as I said, take the extra money and stick it in the bank....or better yet, go short income trusts!
Interesting analysis on buying from US. Yet didn't you buy your two Porsches at Pfaff? FYI - Re-importing costs 2.7%. Talk to the off-make dealers who do this regularly, it doesn't always make sense. The dealers definitely want your business but you're down on their priority list compared to the guy who bought from them. How does it feel in your business when a customer test drives your $100K+ product, gets a thorough understanding of the product and its options and then tries to order it from the US? Not good. So by all means, hop on a plane, test drive the car at the US dealer and buy it there. No problem. Your comments about Fiorano or Gtek are laughable. If you want a race shop to prep your car, great or if your car is out of warranty and needs general maintenance, great. But if you need diagnostics done on a vehicle, Pfaff and DFC are your source. They have direct contact with tech support PCNA and Porsche AG, master technicians with other 15 years experience who are constantly trained. When your car has a problem from all the tinkering that a race shop has done, where do you go for warranty work? Who do you think the raceshop calls when they can't solve a problem...
Old 11-19-2005, 02:13 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

KrisKringle....

No one here said that the dealers don't want to make the buyers of US cars unhappy.......what has been said was just that they go to the back of the line......your best customers always come first........and any business of any kind that does not have this approach won't be around for very long. You identify and look after your most profitable and trouble free clients and then everyone else last.

Last edited by YYC930; 11-19-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:41 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Avia2
Interesting analysis on buying from US. Yet didn't you buy your two Porsches at Pfaff? FYI - Re-importing costs 2.7%. Talk to the off-make dealers who do this regularly, it doesn't always make sense. The dealers definitely want your business but you're down on their priority list compared to the guy who bought from them. How does it feel in your business when a customer test drives your $100K+ product, gets a thorough understanding of the product and its options and then tries to order it from the US? Not good. So by all means, hop on a plane, test drive the car at the US dealer and buy it there. No problem. Your comments about Fiorano or Gtek are laughable. If you want a race shop to prep your car, great or if your car is out of warranty and needs general maintenance, great. But if you need diagnostics done on a vehicle, Pfaff and DFC are your source. They have direct contact with tech support PCNA and Porsche AG, master technicians with other 15 years experience who are constantly trained. When your car has a problem from all the tinkering that a race shop has done, where do you go for warranty work? Who do you think the raceshop calls when they can't solve a problem...
WRONG!!! DFC and Pfaff have ****ed up service on my 4 thats right 4 brand new bought at dealer porsches. i will never go to a dealer unless its warranty. GTEK i would not got to but FIORANO is run and owned by a porsche factory trained tech who has never made a mistake on my car, has all the diagnostic tools and has worked with the dealers to handle warranty stuff on my cars.

Quick Reply: Whcih dealers will sell to Canada near Toronto?