Notices

Joined PCA today . . . now what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts
Question Joined PCA today . . . now what?

My car should be here any day now although I'm going to wait to pick it up until the salt is off the roads. One of the reasons I bought the car was to take it to DE/track days. The question is . . . now what?

I plan on becoming a paying member of Rennlist when my car arrives.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:48 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Wow you don't mess around do you.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:50 PM
PT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
The question is . . . now what?
Have you signed up for the events and the ground school?
And if you are planning on doing more events, start looking at a fire extinguisher. You'll need one after the 1st event.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You'll need a helmet too for any DE or track day.

Marc
Old 04-02-2005, 09:51 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The Rennsport events at Tremblant are selling out quickly, so I'd go to https://www.rennsport.ca/forms/2005_...ration_eng.asp and sign up for whatever you want to do (assuming you want to drive Tremblant). Also, the consider the technical classroom session and the ground school (http://www.rennsport.ca/A_driving/grdschool.html) as a good intro into the world of DE.

The Rennsport montly dinner is this Tuesday at Summerhays Grill, 1971 Baseline Road. People usually start showing up around 5:30-6. Drop by and say hi.

Oh yeah, welcome to the slippery slope
Old 04-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by sjanes
The Rennsport events at Tremblant are selling out quickly . . .
I guess I should get off my butt . . .

I was looking at the Rennsport website tonight and groundschool in Ottawa is this Sat. April 9. Uh oh. . . I'm picking up my car Sat.

I have done a DE at Shannonville with the Corvette a few years ago and found it very informative. Speeds were low (<100km/h). Helmets were not required.

Where do I get a helmet and fire extinguisher? I'm 6'4" . . . this should be interesting trying to fit into the car with a helmet on.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:01 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are you picking up the car in the morning or afternoon? The beginner groundschool is in the morning. If you can go, I would recommend it.

You don't need a fire extinguisher for your first event, but you will for your second. If you don't want to make any permanent mods (like drilling holes) to your new car, a company called Brey-Krause makes mounts for fire extinguishers (http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/fire.php), although they don't have anything listed for the 997 yet.

For a helmet, you need a Snell 95 or Snell 2000 MA (motorcycle) or SA (specical application, i.e. cars) helmet. If you currently own a motorcycle helmet, check for a Snell sticker inside. If it's "95" or"2000", you're good to go. Otherwise, any motorcycle shop will carry "MA" helmets. Buy something that fits your head and is Snell 2000 (I've attached an example of what the stickers will look like). If you want an SA helmet, it will cost more (mine was $600). A local shop called AutoImport (226-7902) sells Impact Racing "SA" helmets and Brey Krause stuff. No affiliation, blah, blah.
Attached Images   
Old 04-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default These guys carry a good supply of Bell hemets

http://www.cscracing.com/ck2.htm
Old 04-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by sjanes
Are you picking up the car in the morning or afternoon? The beginner groundschool is in the morning. If you can go, I would recommend it.
I'm picking the car up in the morning. Unfortunately/fortunately I'm picking it up in Toronto. I wanted April/May delivery and couldn't get one in Ottawa or Montreal at a price I liked with the options I wanted.

I've done the ground school at another DE at Shannonville a year or two ago so I'm not completely green. It's too bad. I would have like to have gone.

Jason at AutoImport went to Mechanic school with a very good friend of mine. I'll give them a try. I'll have to pick up a fire extinguisher as well. Hope my melon fits in the car with a helmet on.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:59 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

The ground school on the weekend is the classroom session, the practical session is May 14 (all day) at St. Eustauche. This document (http://www.rennsport.ca/A_driving/re...anual_rev1.pdf) covers a lot of what is taught at the classroom session. A useful read before your first event.

Congrats on the car BTW, I'm looking forward to seeing a few 997s at the track this year.

Quick Reply: Joined PCA today . . . now what?