Notices

best drives Vancouver area

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 09:14 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default best drives Vancouver area

now that whistler hwy is under construction, what are some of the best drives around the lower mainland ? What about the radar threat?
Old 09-26-2004, 01:27 AM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

is anybody out there - does anybody care?
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2004, 07:10 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question. I enjoy the trip up to the in-law's place at Denman Island, as there's lots of open, big highway and no radar (EVER!), but I don't really know of any local, Greater Van trips, especially with the bad weather starting to set it. (Won't be long until we get snow).

A Kelowna run could be fun (there and back for lunch or something), but you really have to watch out for radar, especially on long-weekends, etc.

I know it's not local, but I have enjoyed large parts of the drive to Calgary (business trips), but this time of year it would be a crap-shoot, weather wise.

Let me know if you come up with anything.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:53 AM
Cpt. Beaky
Intermediate

This link has some decent ideas: http://members.shaw.ca/bjs1/interesting_roads_main.htm

Meant for motorbikes, but I imagine you want low traffic, curves, scenery and no cops just as much no matter what your mode of transport is.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:45 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

thanks for the link Cpt. B
Old 10-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Cpt. Beaky
Intermediate

No worries, I've been looking for an excuse to share the site since I stumbled across it.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:32 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do this one DAILY - from Burrard, down 4th, Jericho beach, hang a left on Chancellor and head back home up 4th again. Beautiful. Bumpy as hell though in some places.

When coming FROM north van into downtown, I ALWAYS take the first exit right after the bridge and drive through the park instead of the causeway. way more fun. way more pleasant than being stuck behind the ****** doing 50kph.

If I'm in the area, the burnaby mtn run is pleasant side track

Those are just short ones though. The really good ones are full day trips that encompass Duffy Lake, or Merritt. Or even Kelowna and back.

Doug Zielke of the local PCA chapter ran some awsome group tours this summer which were well attended.

Our local 944/951/928 owners managed a GREAT turnout of 25 cars which made it from Langley to Hell's gate, (with about 5 cars venturing on to Cache Creek) and then back in time for the 997 unvieling at MCL. That was a whole day trip though and one we will do again.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:37 AM
Cpt. Beaky
Intermediate

Sounds awesome! That really is a good turnout for just those models. I hope I find a nice watercooler and can join the fun next year.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:36 PM
whall
Pro

I am looking to coordinate a weekend next summer in either Kamloops (Sun Peaks) or Salmon Arm. There are some very nice areas around there, especially West of Salmon Arm. If interested, let me know. I have already posted this on the 928 board and it would be great to have all different types of Porsches together.... Any interest?
Old 10-29-2004, 01:37 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

I'm in...
Old 10-31-2004, 06:33 PM
01C4
Intermediate

I would be interested.

Dean ( Kamloops )
2001 C4
Old 11-03-2004, 05:16 PM
whall
Pro

I will post here and in 928 forum in Feb / Mar with details of dates and where. We will make it open to all P-cars. Dean, being from Kamloops, I would appreciate your input regarding Sun Peaks or Salmon Arm. My preference is Salmon Arm but I have had others feel Kam to be better...

Thanks
Old 11-11-2004, 05:02 PM
jetrainor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried to reply to Warren on Rennlist so will try here as well. Located in Armstrong, which is midway between Vernon and Salmon Arm...I'm into any summer event and can help coordinate from this end if anyones interested. In regards to awesome drives, try the Whistler to Lilloett Duffy lake drive and then carry on through to Kamloops and the Okanagan....I'd say its the best drive i've been on for scenery, open road, bendy road, etc.
John Trainor
JET
87 928 euro
Old 11-11-2004, 05:40 PM
whall
Pro

John,
Thanks for the offer - I would really appreciate the help. I have talked to a lot of people that are interested in attending so it should be great - owners from Alta, BC and NW US.
It will be even better if we get a lot of different Porsche models out - that is why I posted here.

We can post to other boards when we get closer to the time. Please e-mail me to discuss further and thanks again for your offer.
Looking forward to getting this event together and meeting many other Porsche members.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:31 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

beware of rocks on the duffy lake road! the closer you get to Lilloet the more potential for danger. i personally found out the hard way. btw my attached image was taken outside of Lilloet.

Quick Reply: best drives Vancouver area