Notices

Do I get a ticket for this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 02:02 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I get a ticket for this?

Sometimes I go to an empty parking lot, and do a few tests on my car. This migh look like dangerous driving to a cop. What kind of ticket/points am I risking? Can I loose my license?
Old 08-25-2004, 03:53 PM
delhi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of parking lot? office? mall? GO station? school? aren't those considered private lots? Unless someone complains, i'm not sure if a cop can just give you a ticket. Just like if you pee at your friend's livingroom. unless your friend complains to the cop, you can't be charged. YOur a$$ might get kicked though.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

A shopping mall parking lot at odd hours would be a good example. It's interesting what you're saying how ownership affects police actions.
I remember doing some snow-donuts last winter in the late evening, but a few days later I found a car left in the middle! I didn't want to do this kind of driving next to a car (and didn't), but was wondering if a local resident decided to cut short my fun driving?
Old 08-26-2004, 10:58 AM
delhi
Racer

I used to live in London for a few years. I went to Westmount Mall (wonderland road?) at nights to practise "Colin McRae" during winter. I've only been requested to leave one time by the mall security guard. Something about glazing the snow to ice.
On another note, many many years ago, WOSCA held an autoX event at Masonville mall. They had all the proper documents however the event was cut short when neighbouring residents complained about the noise. Now they go to Woodstock or Delaware. <sigh>
Old 08-26-2004, 11:37 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

This world is small: I'm a WOSCA member now, and I was actually referring to the Masonville mall where I did snow donuts, and one day found a car parked in the middle (to stop me from doing it). This car must have belonged to the same resident who complained about autocross noise!
I like the suggestion of Westmount mall, I'll check it out.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:08 PM
delhi
Racer

hehehehe... what a small small world. WOSCA hosts kick *** winter autocross.
Yes, check out Westmount Mall rear parking lot. It's usually empty and quiet since the lot is behind any main roads. So no trouble from coppers at all. At least that was way back when.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:29 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Actually, I think WOSCA was kicked out of London for good: we autocross in Woodstock now, and indeed in winter too (see my avatar if you turned it off). My snow donuts in Masonville were completely unauthorized, and probably (according to local residents) should have been punished by hanging the driver, :-)
Old 08-30-2004, 09:43 AM
PorscheMonkey
Instructor

Hi Stan

There are four possibilities that I can think of, listed in order of likelyhood (my opinion only)
1. Nobody complains, Nobody cares, Nothing happens
2. The owner of the property or agent (ie security) tells you to leave.
3. The owner has trespass signs posted and you get a ticket for about $100
4. Somebody complains or the police see you and your driving supports a charge of dangerous driving. You would either get arrested or given a summons to appear in criminal court. Big lawyer fees, Criminal Code driving prohibition, good luck finding insurance, criminal record on conviction.

If you are going to run tests, make sure you aren't putting the safety of anyone who is there (or might be there) in jeopardy. If the police or security intervene, be polite and apologetic. They might let you off with a warning.

I'm not trying to scare, just inform. Like I said, #4 is pretty unlikely unless you are losing your mind and being dangerous. Again, just my opinion.

Happy Testing!
Old 08-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Thanks PorscheMonkey, scenario 4) is pretty scary.
I try to do it at odd hours to have the lot empty. To the best of my knowledge I don't jeopardize anybody's safety, but I'm sure cops would have a different opinion!
I wish I owned my own private lot...
Old 08-30-2004, 01:28 PM
PorscheMonkey
Instructor

Again, #4 is probably a long-shot. The police would probably just check to make sure you weren't drunk and then tell you to get lost.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:15 PM
delhi
Racer

there's some wonderful backroads in London and it's surrounding area. When I bored I wold take a quick blast down Springbank road, pass Springbank park (nice twisties) pass that small town whatever it was called and onwards.... I can't remember what's the name of this turn-off, but it is pass the Delaware exit and immediately after a bridge, there's a nice road that goes up and down a hill.
I miss london. I traded that for the 'mo money in GTA and now I face 401 gridlock as a punishment. Arggghhh!!!

Quick Reply: Do I get a ticket for this?