US cars, stay away??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 05:14 PM
Newrider12
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US cars, stay away??

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorta new to the Porsche world and I am trying to do my due diligence as much as possible prior to pulling the trigger on a purchase.

I've been reading various posts and understand the importance of a great PPI and documented history.

I am currently looking at 997 turbos and am noticing some very low km examples (across Canada) which the majority are US cars. My general question is, should this be a red flag?? All of these examples are dealer cars and over the phone I've been told they have documentation without any accidents. I'm also assuming a decent PPI should provide some mitigation to any concerns but it just seems weird to me that most of what is out there that I'm looking at are from the US.

Any feedback or experiences from anyone out there that is more "seasoned" in this world of Porsche ownership and community? Here are some examples of what I am seeing..

2007 Porsche 911 COLLECTORS ITEM! LOW KMS! 6-SPEED! - North York (autotrader.ca)

2007 Porsche 911 Turbo 6 Speed Manual Sport Chrono - Kirkland (autotrader.ca)

2007 Porsche 911 TURBO, 473HP, MANUAL, AWD, NAV, SPORT CHRONO, - North York (autotrader.ca)

Old 03-13-2024, 05:25 PM
Ed99
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Newrider12
Hi Everyone,

I'm sorta new to the Porsche world and I am trying to do my due diligence as much as possible prior to pulling the trigger on a purchase.

I've been reading various posts and understand the importance of a great PPI and documented history.

I am currently looking at 997 turbos and am noticing some very low km examples (across Canada) which the majority are US cars. My general question is, should this be a red flag?? All of these examples are dealer cars and over the phone I've been told they have documentation without any accidents. I'm also assuming a decent PPI should provide some mitigation to any concerns but it just seems weird to me that most of what is out there that I'm looking at are from the US.

Any feedback or experiences from anyone out there that is more "seasoned" in this world of Porsche ownership and community? Here are some examples of what I am seeing..

2007 Porsche 911 COLLECTORS ITEM! LOW KMS! 6-SPEED! - North York (autotrader.ca)

2007 Porsche 911 Turbo 6 Speed Manual Sport Chrono - Kirkland (autotrader.ca)

2007 Porsche 911 TURBO, 473HP, MANUAL, AWD, NAV, SPORT CHRONO, - North York (autotrader.ca)

Wow those are expensive prices for 2007 Turbos. Last year a few manuals sold for $104K and $112K CAD at around 58,000 kms (1 sold in Vancouver and the other was auctioned in Alberta). Assuming the market as soften too.

Personally I would prefer a USA car as those seem to hold better value...but I could be wrong.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

i wouldn't buy a US import car .. but that's just me ..
i know i know , they are all built in Germany , but i think opposite, if you have a canadian car in Canada it will be valued higher than a " grey Market" car in in Canada.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:46 PM
Ed99
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i wouldn't buy a US import car .. but that's just me ..
i know i know , they are all built in Germany , but i think opposite, if you have a canadian car in Canada it will be valued higher than a " grey Market" car in in Canada.
I used to think like you but I noticed if your car was originally USA that will bring a larger buyer audience from the USA.

It's easier and cheaper for USA resident to import an USA car back to US as far as I know.

Unless you don't care to sell it and to sell it to the USA then I guess I would prefer a Canadian car.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:00 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

The blue one is still for sale? It's absolutely beautiful......It's not white, it's not black, and it's not gray. Perfection!
Old 03-13-2024, 07:58 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by red996
The blue one is still for sale? It's absolutely beautiful......It's not white, it's not black, and it's not gray. Perfection!
Because John Scotti. Don't expect any bargaining to happen.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:12 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 489 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed99
I used to think like you but I noticed if your car was originally USA that will bring a larger buyer audience from the USA.

It's easier and cheaper for USA resident to import an USA car back to US as far as I know.
BINGO, put it on Bring a Trailer when you're done, and one of us will be happy to bring it back haha.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 03-13-2024, 09:47 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I bought my 2001 Boxster S from the states and imported it myself in June 2009.... so many more there than what was available in autotrader....

The following users liked this post:
Ed99 (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 11:33 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 133 Posts

When the US went thru their financial melt down in 2008, and Canada did not, many Canadian dealers swept into the US and bought every used car they could get their hands on. Our dollar was also slightly above par - it was good times for Canadian Porsche buyers.

That’s why you see a lot of US 2007 and 08’s in our country. I bought one a few years ago. It was from Porsche in Beverly Hills originally. Glad I did because selling it to an American buyer last year was way easier it being an original US car. And the buyer paid me in dollars worth $1.35 cdn. Think about it….

I know the value of our dollar isn’t working for Canadian buyers lately, but unless you keep the car forever, selling an original US car back into the huge US market is easier than selling in the much smaller Canadian market, where you might be looking at a couple of thousand dollars in shipping because the buyer is on the east or west coast.

When I sold my 2007 TT I just drove it across the border to Buffalo and handed the keys over.

Last edited by vetfever; 03-13-2024 at 11:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vetfever:
reacp911 (03-14-2024), ronnie993tt (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 08:30 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Only problem I see with US cars is the speedometer in miles.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:43 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed99

Unless you don't care to sell it and to sell it to the USA then I guess I would prefer a Canadian car.
oh that part is true ... i imagine re importing it would be easier... but how many real US shoppers are shopping here ? maybe its changed over the last few years with the internet being what it is , but US buyers looking for Canadian cars used to be very rare. Maybe the thought of salt , winter reimporting hassle , has all been put aside for the strength of their dollar compared to ours.

When i bought my car 15 years ago , ' US car" was an instant pass. So things have likely changed.

Last edited by theiceman; 03-14-2024 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:20 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
oh that part is true ... i imagine re importing it would be easier... but how many real US shoppers are shopping here ? maybe its changed over the last few years with the internet being what it is , but US buyers looking for Canadian cars used to be very rare. Maybe the thought of salt , winter reimporting hassle , has all been put aside for the strength of their dollar compared to ours.

When i bought my car 15 years ago , ' US car" was an instant pass. So things have likely changed.
BaT has changed the dynamic for higher-end cars moving from Canada to the U.S. (and vice-versa). For savvy buyers and sellers, the border is much less of an issue than it was a decade ago.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:27 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by vetfever
When the US went thru their financial melt down in 2008, and Canada did not, many Canadian dealers swept into the US and bought every used car they could get their hands on. Our dollar was also slightly above par - it was good times for Canadian Porsche buyers.

That’s why you see a lot of US 2007 and 08’s in our country. I bought one a few years ago. It was from Porsche in Beverly Hills originally. Glad I did because selling it to an American buyer last year was way easier it being an original US car. And the buyer paid me in dollars worth $1.35 cdn. Think about it….

I know the value of our dollar isn’t working for Canadian buyers lately, but unless you keep the car forever, selling an original US car back into the huge US market is easier than selling in the much smaller Canadian market, where you might be looking at a couple of thousand dollars in shipping because the buyer is on the east or west coast.

When I sold my 2007 TT I just drove it across the border to Buffalo and handed the keys over.
Summer 2010 and with the Canuck buck slightly above the US equivalent I had the opportunity to buy a one owner, Arctic Silver/black, manual 993 C2 coupe with 24000 miles for $29K US. It was like new inside and out with all services done at the dealer. I turned it down as I already had two 993 C2 coupes.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:50 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

I've been buying and selling primarily US cars and bikes since 1996. My thoughts: the older the US car/bike, the easier it is to sell in Canada. Newer ones are always suspect of title washing. US cars are easier to sell back to the US, but...there is a possibility of the buyer being hit with 2.8% duty. Some get through without payment, others get hit. The wording is very loose and it is left to the discretion of the customs officer. TFX wanted $1,500 to "try" to get my tip back into the States without duty, but would not guarantee that they would be successful.

Carfax is a must, but it must be current and I never buy a car without metering the paint - regardless of what the Carfax says. As a Canadian, I would always prefer a Canadian car if the prices were similar.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:52 PM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

My 997 Turbo was from U.S and never had any issues. Incoming 2012 GTS also from the U.S. I wouldn't let the border scare you. Find what you want.

Quick Reply: US cars, stay away??